Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Just back from my 1st club road ride…………
  • robidoo
    Free Member

Really enjoyed it, never new there were so many lanes local to me.
    Pace was ok but was relentles up and down.
    Roll on next Sunday.

RealMan
    Free Member

Where abouts was it?

Riding with others is great.

robidoo
    Free Member

It was around 50 miles round north Notts realman 😀

will
    Free Member

Club riding is great, not easy but I love it. The amount if new rides you find is great!

What was the club & route?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1, the pace is as easy/hard as you make it though*, either sit on someone wheel for the whole ride and take it easy or spend the whole ride up front doing the work, mkaes a huge difference after a couple of hours. The few times I’ve been out with Reading CC though it’s ended via Henley, which is a pancake flat stretch of road, and the pace just seems to go up and up and up and up, I’ve made the mistake of being right at the back a few times, you either do twice a much work yo-yoing off the group or someone ahead does the same and your too far back to catch up, easy to see why road rides are so tactical.

*assuming your fit enough to at least keep up in the ‘slow’ group.

anagallis_arvensis

either sit on someone wheel for the whole ride and take it easy

depends on whose wheel it is! Do reading still do the Torture 40? now THATS a ride and a half.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

depends on whose wheel it is! Do reading still do the Torture 40? now THATS a ride and a half.

No idea, I only managed a few rides last summer before being shipped off to the north for work. The cycling club near me here only has 1 Sunday group and seems populated by skinny wippets and old boys who look hard as nails! I suspect their ride/cake ratio is deficient. This impression was compounded when I met my neighbor who cycles with them and was already pretty thin talking about losing some weight to help up the climbs! He’s now got the build of Wiggins/Froome.

MoreCashThanDash

North Notts area? Ashfield CC?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Joined my local club last year has has change my life totally. Went to the Alps with them, coast to coast and the improvement in my fitness is incredible. Much more motivation in a group. Fortunately they are also MTB’ers so we are on the same level.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just looked at the site, and yes they do! Now seeing as about 105kg at least with the bike and can keep up on the middling club runs I reckon In should give it ago as I’d have a 10% advantage over the next person!

robidoo
    Free Member

It was Kiveton Park CC I went out with only a small group on Sunday (8 riders). They get a bigger turnout during winter, hopefully I will be alot fitter when that comes around.

Doing the loop again tomorrow while it is still fresh in my memory.

blurty

If they invite you to a shaving party say ‘no’

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Just back from my 1st club road ride…………’ is closed to new replies.