Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Just about to start on my first wheel build and question no.1 is…..
  • teddy
    Free Member

I am swapping over hubs and wanting to use the same spokes.
    I currently have a singlespeed hub where the rim is aligned to the centre of the hub flanges
    I am swapping over to an normal MTB rear hub with a freehub body.
    The flange to flange dims are the same (55mm) the spoke hole pcd is the same (48mm) but the offset from centre on the new hub is 10mm to one side.

Question: how much flexibility will I get with the current spoke arrangement – i.e. compared to the current set up, one side will need slightly longer spokes and the other slightly shorter than I have now.

its a 29er rim, so hoping is wont make too much difference over that length of spoke….

thanks
    Ed

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

it may make a difference. use the dt swiss spoke calculator to see what you should be using then compare with what you have.

i have some spare spokes in some lengths. I am willing to sell at excellent prices….. if you need some.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You'll be fine, the "proper" length may be a little shorter DS, not enough to worry about I think.

It will help to re-lace spokes in the same orientation.

clubber
    Free Member

It will probably be fine – spokes for a dished wheel are usually about 1-2mm different in length between the sides so as long as your current wheel doesn't have the nipples all the way down the spoke threads, it will likely be fine.

Dancake
    Free Member

Last one I did, I bought a load the same length (I think) When doing your initial setup, screw all the drive side nipples in an extra 1mm and see where the dishing ends up? Hopefully you will have enough either way to get away with it

teddy
    Free Member

thanks guys, Ill give it a go and see what happens.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Just about to start on my first wheel build and question no.1 is…..’ is closed to new replies.