Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Just about had it with Ebay
  • sig123
    Free Member

Its just people just messing me about then end up costing me money. Sold an item all went smooth then get a message off buyer saying he has bought the wrong part, I had described it perfectly with good photos, Now he wants a full refund including P&P, Don’t mind the refund but don’t see why I should give him the P&P back after it was his mistake in ordering the wrong part. Would you give it back?

jota180
    Free Member

Sort of depends whether or not your listing allowed for returns and postage paid
    Easy to get caught out with that one

PrinceJohn

I haven’t used ebay to sell anything for ages – too expensive & loaded far too much to the purchaser with little or no protection for the seller.

Usually sell via here or local facebook groups

Moses

Was the part correctly described?
    In that case, it’s his problem, just as if he’s bought a bike the wrong size.

kayla1
    Free Member

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/businesscentre/returnsandthelaw.html#changemind

http://www.moneywise.co.uk/cut-your-costs/shop-smart/your-rights-when-buying-second-hand-goods

“But if you merely change your mind about a purchase, a second-hand shop – just like any other – is under no legal obligation to provide a refund or even a return. “Instead, each shop will operate its own returns policy, which you agree to when you make the purchase,” says a spokesperson from the Citizens Advice Bureau.”

jota180
    Free Member

^^^^^

No

That’s for commercial businesses, that’s why it’s in the business section

tomhoward

Besides, who is going to say ‘I changed my mind’ when you could just as easily make something up. eBay will still side with the buyer, regardless of how ridiculous the claim. Case in point, the mother sold a genuine WW1 bank book for something like £1.05 plus a couple of quid for postage. Buyer claimed it was faded (having seen pics in the ad, and apparently ignoring that it’s a 100 year old book!!!) and wanted his money back plus return postage, just before the 90 day cut off. eBay sided with him, the mother paid up. Oddly it got lost in the return post….. Another woman wanted a refund on some brass plates shed paid bugger all for as they ‘weren’t as polished as expected’ told her to do one an closed the eBay account.

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

Ok, so non business account. Did you offer to accept returns? Check the listing & if you’ve left it at default you are obliged to accept return. You can amend this as a private seller to say no returns. Does your returns info, if offering to accept return, state you will pay return cost or does it say buyer pays? Have a good read through what is in your listing info (not in your description, but what is in the ebay payments & postage section).
    Returns policy
    Return policy details
    The seller won’t accept returns for this item.
    Sellers may be required to accept returns for items that are not as described. Learn more about your rights as a buyer.

You have a contract with the buyer. If your terms say no returns or buyer pays to return, then you have the right to apply such terms & ebay, at least with private sellers, will normally accept the terms in place. If your a business seller just accept ebay will treat you like $h1t.

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

Oh bugger, that should be “you’re” in the last sentence.

sig123
    Free Member

Cheers singletrackbiker I’ve just checked and it does say returns not accepted , but my problem is now that he has returned it and wants a full refund and has said that he’s been intouch with ebay and have said I have 48hrs to pay him back. I know this is only a fiver but its just the principle of it. Also I’ve had no message off ebay.

jota180
    Free Member

Give him the cost of the item back, not the postage

spooky_b329

Once item is received back check its not been swapped for a faulty/damaged item, then refund but not the original postage or his return postage costs.

This shows eBay that you are being reasonable. I think if he had raised a case you would have messages on your account. Also I can’t see they saying you have to refund within 48hrs if you haven’t received the item yet.

Finally, before refunding (and avoiding agreeing to pay his postage) ensure he agrees to cancel the transaction as you will get your listing/final value fees back.

sig123
    Free Member

That’s what I’ve offered but he wants the lot and I presume that if I do this they may just take it from my paypal anyway

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

Refund the amount for item only. He has no right to a refund of the postage. You aren’t under any obligation to accept return, so can refuse, but as he has sent it, you’d then have to post it back to him & I’m sure it would be “lost” & not reach him. 48 hours is b*ll*cks, as ebay state within 6 days to process a refund. Stand your ground!
    Ensure ALL communication is within ebay, be polite, but firm & demonstrate you are being reasonable (you have a no returns policy, the item is as described, but buyer has decided to return anyway), so just refunding item amount, excluding postage, is perfectly reasonable. Ensure you also remind the buyer you’re a private seller, not a business seller, so have no obligation to accept return.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Which reminds me, I sold an ipod touch, it was received and used, then claimed there was a fault. So i took it back and checked it but there was no fault so didnt refund the PnP. Fast forward six months and the new owner goes to update the software and its still associated with the guy I sold it tos account. Sent him a text and he basically said you didnt refund my fiver, tough titties. ****

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

I should have added, that if you list as free P&P, with your postage included in item price, you are obliged to refund IN FULL. If the postage is separate, then you are not obliged to refund unless the item is not as described. Buyer hasn’t stated this & has returned the item without any authorisation from you, on a listing stating no returns. Did he open a return within ebay or just decide to send it back?
    If he does return it, inspect it very carefully to ensure it is the item you sent & that it has not been used.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Just about had it with Ebay’ is closed to new replies.