Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Just a thought, the codeine?
  • ryderredman
    Free Member

Need to go and have a sit on one to decide if it’ll be big enough for all 6’5″ of me BUT. I’m not happy about the X01 side of things, I have drivetrainy bits I could transfer over, so my question is…

Would it work out cheaper to buy Frame/Fork and build up myself (£1300) or buy a complete (£2500) and all the drivetrainy bits?

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’m 6’2ish and tbh if there was an xl I would have bought one instead of the large.

pymwymis
    Free Member

What’s wrong with XO1 ?

I love all my SRAM stuff.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ryderredman
    Free Member

The only thing wrong with it is the cost of keeping it going. £400 for a cassette + chain vs £50 for shimano ten speed xt. And the mech, imagine the bill if that thing goes astray!

rene59
    Free Member

Can’t believe they offer a 29er in a small but not xl. Madness!

darrenspink
    Free Member

Its all about numbers. Not that many people are big enough to warrant an run of xl 29ers for planetx.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How much do you want for the X01?

br
    Free Member

The only thing wrong with it is the cost of keeping it going. £400 for a cassette + chain vs £50 for shimano ten speed xt. And the mech, imagine the bill if that thing goes astray!

When it comes for replacement, consider alternatives at that point.

No way can you build one up anywhere near for the price, my pal looked into it – but, I can’t see a large been big enough; he’s about 5’10-11 and bought the large. I’m 6’2″ and having ridden it, wouldn’t want a smaller one.

mrhoppy

I built a codeine with Pikes, flow ex on pro 2 evos, xt brakes, slx 1×10 with a one up adaptor and rad cage, reverb pedals and carbon bars for £2500. Everything that went on it was new. With judicious use of spares bin or classifieds should see that come down some.

Chris

frood
    Free Member

I’d have a sit on one. The top tube isn’t long. I know you can put something bigger than the 35mm stem on there, but unless you have short arms I think it’ll come up small for you. I’m 5’11” and on the 20″ frame. brant disagrees with me about this, but if you need to try sitting one and are in the borders or around Edinburgh let me know.
    I made a spread sheet of the parts and it adds up to something like 3800 quid buying them at rrp.
    If you are going to get one, full build is a no brainer. As br said you can change to 1 x 10 later

sq225917
    Free Member

You can pick the cassettes up for sub £200 if you wait around.

AlexSimon

I don’t know about 29er versions of everything, but my 650b build kit in excel is £1800 excluding reverb.

Pike RCT3, Carbon bars, XT1x10 including brakes, OneUp stuff, Hope Hoops, Fizik Gobi saddle, etc.

So it’s doable. And you might be happier with some of the details (bars, saddle, grips, etc).

It’s probably not as good value if you actually want Sram X01 though.

Edit: Assuming you’d have to change the OneUp ring at the same time as the cassette, it becomes £100 each time compared with X01 at about £220

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

£800 Frame
    £700 Groupset (with upgraded X01 crank)
    £520 Forks
    £120 brakes
    £170 Reverb
    £20 Stem
    £20 Bars
    £300 Wheels
    £50 Tyres
    £50 headset
    £25 saddle and grips

£2755, but without the inevitable nice bar/stem/saddle uprgade, and some reviews have been less than convinced by the rims. The full builds good value, but not out of this world compared to the frame.

I wouldn’t have thought it would be cost effective to sell the XO1 effectively s/h and buy new XT and buy a free hub, but an XT build would only be £2500 or so, so you’re probably about even either way. I’d ride the X01 for a year then hope that when XT goes 11-40 that SRAM’s forced into making a more cost effective cassette (I’m sure a cheeper X09 with an alloy spider and steel rings must be in their minds).

damascus
    Free Member

We went to the sheffield branch to look at one. (Friend is 6ft4 and I am 6ft3)

They only had a medium in and they wouldn’t let us ride it as the ground was wet. Was a bit annoyed I’d travelled for over an hour each way to not be able to ride a demo bike around the car park.

Our biggest worry is a large isn’t big enough but I’ve compared it to my xl 22 inch horsethief and its slightly bigger.

I was very impressed with the finish, it looked very neat and well thought out. Disappointed it wasn’t set up for a stealth dropper though.

The demo bike also had a 10 speed cassette with an 11 speed shifter which didn’t inspire confidence.

Typical planet x really. Great product but just poorly presented. But I guess that’s why I can afford one and not a specialized enduro.

damascus
    Free Member

Any 6ft3 plus riders got a large? How do you find it?

Rorschac, how do you find the large? Do you normally ride an xl?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The demo bike also had a 10 speed cassette with an 11 speed shifter which didn’t inspire confidence.

Probably to keep the £400 cassette ‘new’ in it’s box! 10s and 11s SRAM are the same spacing, so it’s all the same for riding round the car park.

skellnonch
    Free Member

I built my own:

150mm Pikes (from alltricks) cost me £323, I had most of the major bits already

I see they are doing reverbs for 190E at the moment too…

sq225917
    Free Member

The 10 speed wheels were from before the 11 speed cassettes arrived, it’s effectively a pro-to build.

gamerriley
    Free Member

My 6ft frame fits the medium perfect. just saying 😆

ryderredman
    Free Member

Sounds like I shouldn’t be knocking it aside without sitting on one (no pun intended).

Just been in the bike shop and sounded like they’d do me a covert/bandit 29 when the new ones drop with pikes for around £1800.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Just a thought, the codeine?’ is closed to new replies.