• This topic has 53 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by egb81.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Jury Service. Experiences please.
  • bigblackshed

Had a summons for jury service. I don’t know anyone that’s done it so looking for experiences and what to expect.

Is it going to be the full on Hollywood court room drama or am I going to suffer endless barrister “jolly boys banter” and end up getting a contempt of court charge for shouting “get on with it, I could be riding my bike”

Anyone?

oldbloke
    Free Member

Turned up, waited half a day, name didn’t come out of the ballot, went home.
    Same again a few days later.
    The trials I could have ended up doing were 2-3 day each.

You’ve more chance of not doing jury service than doing it, such is the size of the pool of jurors they want to pick from.

allthepies
    Free Member

You get to see how inefficient the justice service is 🙂

I had two cases, pretty interesting experience really.

In trial 2 the (scouse) defendant fell asleep in the dock on verdict delivery day. The judge was not amused.

perchypanther
    Free Member

A ten stretch….. The do-gooding b****rds!

egb81
    Free Member

I had a really interesting case that lasted about 3.5 weeks including 2.5 days of deliberation. A guy accused of money laundering, selling planes to drug traffickers. It was great and now I know all about why certain planes are better for drug running than others should I pursue that line of employment (I’m not planning to, seems far too much like hard work). There’s a fair amount of sitting around involved so take a good book, but plenty of getting sent home early as well so you could well be getting plenty of time to ride. I gather that most experiences weren’t as interesting as mine though.

sandwicheater

My partner did it. Had a very nasty case, she was in tears almost every day when she came home.

Kuco

Did it years ago. All I can say is take a good book to read for all the sitting around you’ll be doing ime.

Klunk
    Free Member

I did a vat fraud case, took 6 weeks, so tedious!

loddrik
    Free Member

n trial 2 the (scouse) defendant fell asleep in the dock on verdict delivery day. The judge was not amused.

And the signifigance of the defendent being scouse is….?? 😕 🙄

Pook

two weeks on. Had four days waiting about then a 3 day trial (theft), then a few more days waiting about.

Take a book. Or 10.

fasthaggis

Done it 4 times now,I must be a really good judge of character 😉

IME,it was a real insight to another world,a world that I knew existed,but very interesting when you see it up close.

Being the spokesperson for the jury was a bit scary on one of them.

Northwind

My aunt a nightmare, months long incredibly boring thing, I can’t remember exactly what it was but it sounded like Waiting For Godot: The Director’s Cut.

SiB
    Free Member

And the signifigance of the defendent being scouse is….??

………its very rare??

bimster29
    Free Member

A good experience and as fasthaggis said, a real insight.

Take a good book though as there is a lot of waiting around and in Bristol, they would only reimburse your bus fare and not any car parking charges.

bigblackshed

So, load the kindle up, hope they have WIFI, get the bikes and kit ready for quick change and ride out if / when I don’t get picked.

What about dress code?

The Wife says the Banksy t-shirt isn’t suitable. 🙄

The County Court is walkable for me. 10 minutes or so.

simmy
    Free Member

My mum did it and got to meet 2 premier league footballers.

senorj

I found it really interesting ,when we were actually in court – had an attempted murder – shooting. 😯
    There is a load of waiting about, early finishes etc. Take sarnies – Don’t count on the court canteen to be up to much.
    Then after two weeks ,due to the Police/prosecution cocking something up the case was thrown out and sent for re trial!
    With regards to riding your bike , I deferred mine to winter for just that reason ,I didn’t want to be cooped up for two weeks mid summer.
    re dress code -first day , I was quite smart , then when I saw everyone else it was smart casual. No-one can see your jeans anyway.
    Oh – and they do warn you if a trial is going to be very , very long , I was selected for a high profile abuse case ( not in Sunderland) and due to childcare I was excused.

donald
    Free Member

What I found uncomfortable was they didn’t tell you what important legal definitions were until after you’d heard all the evidence so I sat there for 4 days wondering how on earth I was going to make a judgement.

jimw
    Free Member

My two weeks of jury service consisted of:
    Day 1. A lecture on the structure of the system and how jurors are selected for each trial.
    About three hours waiting to see if I was in the relevant pool for the court session. Lunch. Selected for a trial and a couple of hours in the court. Case of assault, it was interesting but saddening because of the personalities involved.
    Day 2: Two more hours of evidence then a summing up. Sent away for deliberation. Had some lunch. About 2 hrs of discussion then verdict delivered. We were asked if we wished to stay for sentencing which happened in the same session-not sure if this is usual. I did. All wrapped up by about 4.00pm. Told to phone in and see if required the next day.
    Day 3: Asked back in and after about an hour selected for pool again. Hung around for nearly 3 hours waiting for trial to start. Had lunch. We were actually gathering to go into court for the selection and at this point the defendant then pleaded guilty. We were sent home and asked to phone for the next day.
    Day 4: phoned and was I told would not be required again that week, told to phone on Friday to see if required. Did so and I was told no longer needed so jury service ended.

I was glad I did it, some of the people in another pool on the first day were selected for a murder trial that lasted a few weeks. It really is pot luck. Oh, take a good book and an iPod
    Edit: Donald- since the case I heard hinged on whether the assault was premediated/deliberate or an act whist drunk – the injury was admitted- these definitions were clearly explained at the start. I would have found it more difficult if this had not been the case.

SaxonRider

I have always wanted to do it.

My name finally came up, but I was not yet a UK citizen, so had to decline.

I hope it comes up again. So fingers crossed someone in the system is reading this…

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I’ve never done it, though my sister had her jury duty summons on her 18th birthday!

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I did jury service at the Old Bailey some years ago. Had a bit of waiting around for the first day and it’s basically sitting around in the canteen waiting to be called. Lucky enough I was picked in the ballot for the second day and had a really interesting case which was like something out of a Guy Ritchie film (Lock Stock or Snatch that is).

Started of as a basic rape case where a big, burly Scotsman imposed himself on a frail, young girl from Thailand. Turns out she was a prostitute being run by a gang that the Scotsman was a part of and for some reason (never explained) they had taking a dislike to him and were trying to fit him up.

It was very amusing watching the defence lawyer ripping the prosecution’s case to shreds as fact after fact was revealed over about five days. Mr Big (the gang’s leader) had done a bunk and the prosecuation’s case fell apart and a not guilty verdict came in.

It also turns out that the defendant was wanted for several other unassociated charges and he was arrested again straight away after the trial. The rape case was just something else they were trying to get him on and in my opinion should never have come to court. Total waste of time and money which seems to be all too typical of our justice system I’m afraid. Another thing, I was selected by the other jurors to be the foreman of the jury which was also amusing.

I think I was down for a two week stint but they let us go after that trial but I’m guessing you could be sitting around for a few days if you don’t get picked. Alternatively you could get a really juicy trial which goes on for months!

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Keep an eye out for your colleagues in the jury … watch out for Miss Marples and Sherlocks.

Once into the jury room my lot wanted to discuss and dissect every little detail of a ridiculous case that should have never been brought IMO… 5 mins of this and I ask….

“Hold on with all these details, shouldn’t we have a show of hands whether the defendant is guilty?

“Oh we can’t do that!” one old girl said,

“Why not?” I replied, “I don’t think he is. Anyone else?”

10 other hands went up

“There we go, job done, lets return the verdict”

If I’d been biking then, I would have got out for a nice afternoon. 😀

jimdubleyou

Got sent home days 1 & 2 (not selected).

Selected for a trial Wednesday, where there were opening remarks then adjourned until the next day. Trial lasted until Friday morning, judge got massively pissed off with prosecution being unable to work his videos of the CCTV which was quite funny.

Deliberated until lunch, had a result fairly quickly – but not so quick as we were able to get on another trial – released to not attend second week.

Felt sorry for the defendant actually, he was a bouncer who had chatted up a girl in the bar who subsequently accused him of sexually assaulting her in the bar. The assault was supposed to have taken place out of sight of the CCTV, but you could plainly see he went from one shot to another without moving (4x screen with constant timemarkers) so it was completely made up.

The witnesses who were backing her up were also joke. Not sure how the CPS thought they would ever get a conviction…

benp1

I’ve done it twice!

Both times were disappointing. Lots of sitting around, seeing poor process and administration continued to impact on my views on public sector wastage, and the jury was so committed on wanting to believe the good in people and not judge a case on objective evidence that I found the whole process rubbish

If I had a choice between going to magistrates court or a crown court I’d pick the latter on the basis that it’s very difficult to get a jury to convict someone – they can’t seem to separate making a decision on evidence from actually punishing someone (jury does the former, judge does the latter)

forzafkawi
    Free Member

it’s very difficult to get a jury to convict someone – they can’t seem to separate making a decision on evidence from actually punishing someone (jury does the former, judge does the latter)

Yeah I agree. I had a couple of women on my jury who basically didn’t like the look of the defendant and just wanted him to be guilty despite all the evidence to the contrary. Everyone else on the jury could see how ridiculous the case was but we had quite a job to convince these two women. We basically had to go over all the evidence piece by piece and re-run the trial just for their benefit.

After several hours the last one holding out changed her vote because she was fed up with all the discussion and just wanted to go home! Hardly the best basis for a judgement I’d say but it just goes to show also how these things can work.

rOcKeTdOg

worst experience of my life, case was a family member fiddling with his 2 young family members, i found it harrowing so goodness knows how the victims feel, i’ll admit there were tears in my eyes after the two victims video evidence

prosecuting barrister was excellent, scared the bejeebus out of me, if i had any notion of being a criminal before it has gone from me completely now, trial lasted 8 days

we gave a unanimous decision

vinnyeh

2 1/2 weeks, aged 21

Bloke with mental health issues living in an “open” home was befriended by a group (2 couples and another bloke)whose house he used to walk past on his trip into town.
    One bank holiday weekend they enticed him into their house, and tortured him to death over three days. Buried him in the back garden. Four verdicts of murder, one of manslaughter due to diminished responsibility.
    We were all excused jury service for life. No doubts about the guilt of nay of the parties, just needed to determine the responsibility and pre-determination.
    Looking back on it (30+ years ago) I think if I had been older at the time then it would have left me needing counselling, but at the time, and I now feel ashamed about this, it seemed unreal, and rather thrilling.

As an aside, a good mate is a criminal barrister- awful job, but somebody has to do it I guess.

crankboy
    Free Member

Take books ,lots of waiting , don’t get pissed off with the waiting it is normally for a very good reason.
    Take food court canteens are a) rubbish though good fish and chips today and b) closing due to budget cuts.
    wear smart casual you can get done for inappropriate slogan t shirts but generally people wear their ordinary clothes , you are not the one on trial. take layers lots of courts have rubbish broken heating/air conditioning.

Take an open mind both as to the process your fellow jurors and the case ,

Courts and justice would not work and would be very different with out jurys so Ta .

Forgive the Advocates who cant work the technology.

richmtb

Had one

Lasted 4 days – Assault with intent to rape, was very interesting but the case hinged on a technicality of whether the accused was correctly cautioned when the victim had done a drive by identification from the back of a police car.

It got thrown out as the arresting police officer was unable to explain his actions and kept changing his story on the stand.

Still, very interesting but disappointing we couldn’t see it through to its conclusion

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yep done it, great it was too, put away a scumbag burglar, thanks to a dog finding his trace from the house within 5 minutes of the phone call and finding him in a nearby street, without the dog their wouldn’t have been a case

we found him guilty, on a majority vote (had 2 real god botherers in who couldn’t see the bad in anyone)

only disclosed AFTER the verdict that the scummy prick had been in jail before for burglary too

was a good feeling knowing at least one scum was off the streets 8)

he got 4 years jail

hooli

I found it really interesting, there is a lot of waiting around and time wasting though.

sparkyrhino

Had a harrowing case,lasted 5 weeks, 4 days deliberating, the worst kind of murder thats all I will say.still makes me shudder!

spawnofyorkshire

Did it about ten years ago, two weeks into my first proper job out of uni. Nearly ended up on a fraud case that lasted 3 months!

I got a really interesting case lasting 4 days in the end. Theft case, both barristers were rubbish and seemed very unprepared. Judge was amazing though, made sure it was a fair case presented from both sides and ended up doing most of the interviewing of witnesses himself. Dished out a few stern words to the barristers at times
    Deliberations took a while, the elected foreman was a tool who happened to have worn a nice blazer to court. Myself and very sharp lady ended up getting everyone to discuss the evidence over again and picked up on a glaring error in the defences time line that meant she had to have done it. We realised the prosecuting barrister had missed this and the judge had spotted it and was steering us to find it.
    Unanimous verdict, found out later that she got a suspended sentence and garnished wages so happy with that outcome as those who were robbed will have been repaid

Coyote
    Free Member

As allthepies said, it makes you realise how inefficient the whole bloody system is!

connect2

Done it once, interesting to see how the system works but lots of hanging about. Got selected the first day, a Polish guy accused of assault who required an interpreter. We’d heard from a couple of witnesses and things were getting interesting, broke for lunch and came back to be dismissed as the trial was being postponed. Turned out the interpreter had been putting her own spin on events rather than translating exactly what the defendant was saying. Wasn’t selected again

flanagaj
    Free Member

Agree with other on here regarding the hanging around, but the flip side is that if you are interested in the judicial process then jury service is an amazing experience. I was picked as head juror and had the unenviable task of reading out the guilty verdict. Everyone looked at one another when the defence barrister turned to the judge and said ‘in light of my clients previous 16 convictions for drug dealing …’

I enjoyed it so much that I am hoping I’ll be asked again. Just wish I had done law at uni now instead of bloody chemistry!

crapjumper
    Free Member

As kuco said take a book because the waiting around is mind numbing . I was at preston crown court for 2 weeks and only got selected on the 2nd thursday .

houndlegs
    Free Member

Workmate of mine did it a few years ago, he was’nt the sharpest tool in the box. When he got back to work we asked him how it all went, “You could tell he was guilty as soon as you saw him”, came the reply, and guilty they found him 😕
    I just hope I’m not up before that lot if I ever get in trouble.

Hells

Been summonsed 3 times!! In Scotland, England and Wales!!

First time I got out of it as I was sitting my finals at uni.

Second time I sat and twiddled my thumbs for the first week! Eventually ended up on a jury on the Wedsnesday of the second week, for 2 hours, the Defendant decided to change his plea!

Third time I was excused again since I’d just moved job & home by 200 miles! The electoral register hadn’t caught up with my change of address!

Conclusion, take a few books!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Jury Service. Experiences please.’ is closed to new replies.