Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Junior Bikes – 20" Early Rider Urban – Worth The Money Or Just Over Priced?
  • cropdusting
    Free Member

Hi all,

Currently my son (6yrs old) rides an Early Rider Belter Urban 16″ (https://earlyrider.com/collections/bikes/products/belter-16)

He is a great little rider and takes on decent hills and easy trails even with just one gear. In the next few months I think he will have outgrown this hence why I am looking at the 20″ bikes.

Current Prices
    Early Rider 20″ -> £450
    Isla Beinn -> £390
    HOY Bonaly -> £280

Comparing the next early rider belter urban 3 20″(https://earlyrider.com/collections/bikes/products/belter-20-urban-3) to similar (HOY Bonaly 20, Isla Beinn 20) it appears to be coming in at about £150-200 more.

So is it worth paying the extra and why? If not is it worth paying the extra £100 for the Isla over the Hoy? When I look at the spec sheets I do not really know what is best and how much it makes a difference so appreciate any feedback given.

Many thanks for all your time.

sillyoldman

Saracen Mantra 2.0R worth a look. Lighter than the Frog equivalent, and good for off and on road.

http://www.saracen.co.uk/bikes/kids/junior/junior/mantra-junior-2-0R

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

I’m looking at the above plus the Dawes academy 20 mtb and the orbea mx team (disc or non disc).
    But as there are lots of good condition 2nd hand beinn’s to be had for around £220 will most likely stick with Isla for now

anagallis_arvensis

My son has a frog worth adding to the list.

anagallis_arvensis

Oops

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Have you compared weights?

FWIW, I think Early Rider are the best out there these days. Nice and subtle too look at, very well made, very light and clever use of ‘grown up’ componentry alongside kiddy specific bits.

But, as above, weight is important here. Little legs lugging lumps around is never good.

natrix
    Free Member

Have been very pleased with my sons hoy, prefer the trigger shifters to the grip shift on the islabikes, but islabikes will probably have better resale value……..

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

My nearly 6 year old has just moved from his 16” belter on to his elder brothers 20” one, and loving it. They are exceptionally well made, the break levers are just right for little hands, and they are very light, which is a great help for little kids. It’s the one without suspension or discs, I figured just an unnecessary weight for what he needs at the moment. The fact that you got the smaller one for him, I’d go for the next size up now. I’d have got a bigger one for my eldest if they did one,

kimbers

The Hoy bonaly 20 is a really good bike, not ridden a belter so cant compare but as good as isla, at 9kg(actual) its heavier than the islabike, but my 6yr old son is like a rocket on his

turnpike
    Free Member

I’ve just got the Belter 20 Urban in a sale. Obvious difference to all these other bikes is the belt and the hub. 3 gears is plenty for someone who’s never had them before I think.

Was tempted by the Frog 55 though.

akira

I’m a fan of the Bonaly, with few upgrades the boys rode them in Wales and Scotland over Easter.

antares
    Free Member

Got my lad a Wiggins Chartres after he grew out of his Cnoc 16. Managed to get it for £180 in the sale with BC discount.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Anyone had a saracen mantra 2 yet?
    Looks nice and claimed weights are simulier to the above.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Anyone had a saracen mantra 2 yet?
    Looks nice and claimed weights are simulier to the above.

Dusting off this old thread to see if there are any real world experiences of the Mantra 2.0, seen a few recent threads talking about the 2.4 and also that the 2.0 looks quite nice but not really much real world experience.

Pondering between that and a Frog 52 for Christmas.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Junior Bikes – 20" Early Rider Urban – Worth The Money Or Just Over Priced?’ is closed to new replies.