Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • June Bristol Bike Jumble 1/6/13
  • Agency_Scum
    Free Member

Midday Saturday June 1st at Mud Dock, Bristol. As usual it’s the first Saturday of every month at midday, parking is cheap with a huge Pay+Display right next door. Setting up a stall is FREE, borrowing a table is FREE.
    It’s important you don’t set up too early. Recently there’s been difficulties with people setting up and selling as early as 11am. This takes all the buyers away from those setting up on time.

PLEASE DON’T PARK IN MUD DOCK CAR PARK

10.30am: Coffee+Cake Morning in Mud Dock cafe

12.00 midday: BIKE JUMBLE!

Agency_Scum
    Free Member

I promise to bring my camera and get some fresh piccies this time.

stevemorg2

anyone want to share a lift from Cardiff?

Edric64
    Free Member

I wouldt drive from Cardiff .Although the idea is good the couple of times I have bee there has been very little good stuff on display .It wastnt worth the drive from Bath and the parking fee

stevemorg2

I’ve been a few times and have quite a bit to sell – it would be easier to justify if I was splitting the diesel and crossing

bristolbikeproject
    Free Member

There’s a dig day at the Ashton Hill Plantation on the following sunday too.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I wouldt drive from Cardiff .Although the idea is good the couple of times I have bee there has been very little good stuff on display .It wastnt worth the drive from Bath and the parking fee

Whereas I’ve been twice from Farnborough, 100 miles each way, and had a great time and sold £100+ each time, then gone for a ride after.

(Hi Mark! 🙂 )

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Correction, 3 times. I bought a frameset the first time.

Edric64
    Free Member

Last month I thought there were few traders and little on offer .I took nearly an hour to get there from Bath.I wouldnt drive 200 miles to flog a hundred quids worth of bits .I would spend 30 quid on diesel ,that makes ebay fees seem cheap!I would go again if there was more there .I saw lots of old bits like the stuff I have kicking around that I deem unsellable

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Fine. But I didn’t do it just to sell stuff, did I?
    My brother was also with me, who also sold stuff, last time, and a mate, and my wife, and then we went for a ride. Like I already said. We made a day of it, see?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Plus I used to work near Bristol and I know Mark the OP and lot of the other locals and its nice to catch up now and then too.
    Oh yeah. I picked up a frame last time too, of a Bristol local. 🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

See ? well I do now ,doing other stuff makes more sense !

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

And the cake in Mud Dock is something else! 😀

Edric64
    Free Member

I had better try again and go for cake then.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Didn’t the previous jumble coincide with the first dry day’s riding for about a fortnight? Common sense says most riders will be riding after a period of rain, buyers and sellers.

Anyway, I like the boxes of old gubbins. Occasionally I’ll find something old and decrepit enough to fit my bike, for 50p.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I have done this sale 4 months in a row Dec/12 to March/13 and most of the time only sold old stuff not complaining.All the new upto date stuff no one wanted to know.Hay Ho.I would only go there as a seller not buyer but thats just me and am coming from Cheltenham.The atmosphere is great and a nice spot.Will do this Saturdays meeting someone before hand to sell some tyres.Then might go for spin around Ashston court.

Agency_Scum
    Free Member

Hi Pete! ( waves )

You know edric, sometimes the jumble’s poo and you’re waaay better off going to ebay. All that hassle of travel cost when you could stay in the comfort of your own sofa making a tidy amount out of bike bits.

Avoid embarrassing social contact with other mountain bikers ( I’m doing clumsey heavy irony, can you tell? )…YOU MAY NOT LIKE THEM!

Petrol, diesel, parking fees and expensive barrista-made coffee with delicatessen cakes ( bit of a sh1t nightshift, just ignore me; Pete’ll back me when I say I’ll soon run out of steam and naff off to bed….IF I can kick the narcoleptic dog off it ) BUGGER THAT! Get yerself round to Aldi for 4 kilos of coffee and a 30-pack of ” deli ” cakes AND STILL have change out of a pound coin as you rush off to bargain heaven on Gumtree.

I made the jumble to be anti-ebay, mates’ rates and a big-@rsed giggle. Sometimes it’s poo, most times it rocks with stupid bargain prices and/or loads of cash for sellers.
    NO fees
    Free tables
    Loads of parking at okay prices
    Mountain, road, fixie, bmx and just plain weird.
    Month after month, year after year ( 7th year this September ). The regulars often swap stuff and save a fotune or give in the knowledge the favour returned will be at least equal or twice as lush ( ” Godfather Rules ” ).
    Come and make mistakes, lose some money, meet people you’ll disagree with loudly over cocaine-strength coffee. You might hate it.
    : )

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

I’m heading up there chaps.

Anything anyone need in particular? I’ve probably got it.

I’m even going to try and dig out some 8spd for Agency Scum.

daver89
    Free Member

Havent been yet but thinking of heading up from Gloucester.

Are there usually full builds to be had? A mates looking for something cheap and chearful that will handle a bit of a beating.

ransos
    Free Member

Last month I thought there were few traders and little on offer .I took nearly an hour to get there from Bath.

You could cycle it in the same time, or take the train, which is less than 15 minutes.

Whilst what’s on offer is a matter of luck, it’s way cheaper and way less hassle than ebay.

Milkie
    Free Member

I should be there, on the lookout for a cheap HT frame and forks.

cyclebiker

“I took nearly an hour to get there from Bath.I wouldnt drive 200 miles to flog a hundred quids worth of bits .I would spend 30 quid on diesel”

30 quid on diesel, what are you driving? 😀

Agency_Scum
    Free Member

The weather on Saturday?

Here’s a clue.

Agency_Scum
    Free Member

IT’S TOMORROW!!

andyl
    Free Member

You could ride a bike there from bath!

Agency_Scum
    Free Member

IT’S TODAY!!

TooTall
    Free Member

The Bike Jumble is not for prissy snobs. It is for people who like people who all happen to like bikes. It is a fantastic little community-run hole in the fabric of CRC/WiggleWorld etc where people can go and buy/sell/swap/banter/trade/argue/give away bike-related stuff. It is every single month and has been for 7 years now. It might be worth going once. It might be worth going twice. It is certainly worth going a few times, because then you get to know people, and the people at the Bristol Bike Jumble are – mostly – some of the nicest people I’ve ever met in cycling. I mean – I even met some of the Bristol Bike Project there first, and they deserve bloody knighthoods.
    Don’t go there expecting to throw buttons to grateful people who have everything you want. Take some stuff from your spares box, sell that stuff, buy some other stuff you want and go home happy.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You could ride a bike there from bath!

I did just that the first time I went, and carried a Kona Cindercone frame set back with me, dangling off my handlebars. 🙂

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Did seem quiet today all round but then again i did the best i have ever done down there Happy Days 😆

Agency_Scum
    Free Member

I was banging out LOADS of disc brake sets from Mud Dock’s ” box of doom ” for the lads’ beer fund at daft low prices and the vibe was beautiful. Ended the day by fitting a nice loan-fork to a club member’s bike { he’s had a sh1t cr@p awful 5lb rigid fork with ” Rock Shox ” written on it for years }. Did it outside the workshop borrowing Mark’s tools inside { Charlie the manager assisted } and chilled right out.
    Blissful day.
    TOOK PICCIES! Gimme a couple of hours to sort me @rse out and post up.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘June Bristol Bike Jumble 1/6/13’ is closed to new replies.