• This topic has 182 replies, 116 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by JCL.
Viewing 23 posts - 161 through 183 (of 183 total)
  • Jumps – why do most riders make no attempt and just roll them?
  • jameso

That kid doing the jumps is amazing!

OT sorry, oldgit, do you or anyone in the club do local audaxes?

oldgit
    Free Member

jameso PM’d you.

satchm00
    Free Member

Kids these days on Twitter keep saying

#thatshowIroll

Maybe the op isn’t down with it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYdps2cQkic[/video]

Paceman
    Free Member

They’re just missing out so much that is fundamental to MTB’ing.

I think you mean BMX, the fundamentals of MTB are trail features found naturally, this does not generally include tabletops or gap jumps (particularly on Leith Hill and the North Downs). 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

One day you will be old and broken too.

Yep, over the decades your mates get hurt. One is still recovering over a year after coming out of a coma. Another has a leg that’ll never work properly again and one in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

If you’re young and get sick pay perhaps it effects your judgement?

mt
    Free Member

What’s this air and rollover stuff, I get off and walk.

epicyclo

oldgit – Member
    “One day you will be old and broken too.”
    Yep, over the decades your mates get hurt. One is still recovering over a year after coming out of a coma. Another has a leg that’ll never work properly again and one in a wheelchair for the rest of his life…

I’m in the same boat.

None of my “hero” mates are capable of riding anymore.

We all used to have the attitude that instead of growing old gracefully we would skid sideways into our graves with our broken and worn out bodies.

Sadly the reality is if you wreck your body being a hero your old age starts right then – for some of my friends that was in my 30s. And over my 40s and 50s more of them joined that club.

They’re not going to skid sideways into anything, just get tipped off their zimmer frames into their coffins after a long miserable life not being able to do the active stuff they love.

Stunt riding is a question of probabilities. No matter how good you are, one day you will get it wrong. Your next probability is how you land, one day that will go wrong. Developing skills is good, it reduces the probability, but doesn’t take it away.

So maybe the question should be “Is it worth becoming a decrepit old man tomorrow for the sake of that jump?”

And the answer from most young people is “That will never happen to me” 🙂

TiRed

Jumps Hills – why do most riders kids make no attempt and just roll push their overweight bikes up them?

Started mtb riding rigid and broke collar bone on a very modest jump. Now have HT and make a little effort. But wheels off the ground doesn’t really do it for me. Now thrashing people uphill on my singlespeed, that is a different matter 😈

GEDA
    Free Member

So what is the limit to “getting rad”? Most of my major injuries have been slow speed. Last one for example I was crossing a slippy bridge and the front wheel went from under me and I hit my knee on a post. Slippy grass is another one.

Just because you are not jumping does not mean that you are safe. Speed and some skills are usually your friend in avoiding crashes. Yes I agree that huge drops and jumps have the possibility of injury but not being confident to tackle anything technical though fear of hurting yourself will conversely make you more likely to hurt yourself.

fasthaggis

Northwind ^^

Winner 🙂

maxtorque

GEDA
    Most of my major injuries have been slow speed. Last one for example I was crossing a slippy bridge and the front wheel went from under me and I hit my knee on a post.

Trekster

climbingkev – Member
    Some comments above have made me chuckle, others are a little more balanced and quite sensible and relevant.

BUT, for those of you who don’t have sugar in your tea, you really should up your game. It’s one of the fundamentals of tea drinking, you know.

Whatever makes you smile innit!

Take mine black, very black 😆

Trekster

oldgit – Member
    One day you will be old and broken too.
    Yep, over the decades your mates get hurt. One is still recovering over a year after coming out of a coma. Another has a leg that’ll never work properly again and one in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

That’s me.
    Broken hand a few years ago means I can’t grip properly which can at times cause a loss of concentration when riding techy stuff, going fast or when the rest of my arm compensating for lack of grip starts to ache.
    A broken collar bone before that sometimes gives me issues when my arm goes dead!!
    Knees wrecked from playing squash for 30yrs or so can cause them to collapse if I stand up and grind on the pedals!!
    Various other aches to many to bore you all with 🙄
    A year older than oldgit and still riding, not as much as I used to but still riding and enjoying it without “getting air” all the same 😆

belugabob
    Free Member

To paraphrase from my SCUBA diving days…

“There are old bikers and bold bikers, but not many old bold bikers”

Trekster

‘…basic skills such as manual lifts and pumps are fundamental to all aspects of mountain biking, once these are mastered the rest will come. Nick and Nige were informative and supportive.’ – Deb.

From here: http://sublimerides.blogspot.co.uk

belugabob – Member
    To paraphrase from my SCUBA diving days…

“There are old bikers and bold bikers, but not many old bold bikers”

That’ll be me 😆

welshfarmer

The reason why old men don’t jump….

😆 😀

parkesie
    Free Member

That looks like great fun.

Northwind

welshfarmer – Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjcLxMMsLj0

To be fair though, that would have been rubbish if he’d landed it. It’s all about the bumslide.

welshfarmer

Waiting for it to dry out a bit here to have another go. Need to stabilise the ramp a bit too I think. If my mate ever nails it I will be forced to have a go.

Euro
    Free Member

Jumping fails you say?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P0B5uZ87m4[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw5LWAH5nQ0[/video]

First one – tiny cut to left knee.
    Second one – herniated two discs in my neck.

muddyground
    Free Member

May be why. Guy I was with face planted big style. Broken jaw, eye socket, arm and possible broken neck as well. He was a right mess.

JCL
    Free Member

That was great. Great footage for him to see what he did wrong too.

Viewing 23 posts - 161 through 183 (of 183 total)

The topic ‘Jumps – why do most riders make no attempt and just roll them?’ is closed to new replies.