Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Jumps / Drops – help / pics
  • Aristotle
    Free Member

There’s nothing wrong with having coaching. Had I done so in the past I think I’d have improved a lot more quickly.

I was always reasonably quick(at a weekend warrior level) and fairly confident on trails, but a bit too erratic and gung-ho with it. The standard of my riding stagnated for a long time.

For me, learning to ride a motorbike and become better (Improving smoothness, control, relaxed grip, concentrating on observation etc.)at it prompted a renewed interest in mountain bike technique.

-I would definitely recommend the Mastering Mountain Bike Skills book.

I like a rough, tight or fast, technical trail, I’m fairly happy with drops and I’ve recently become more comfortable with jumping, although there’s a long way to go.

chiefgrooveguru

Videoing stuff you’re sessioning can be v useful, as long as you know what you’re looking for (get MMBS2!) A couple of months back a mate and I spent an afternoon on our local mini DH runs. There’s a rollable drop with a relatively steep landing (so looks scary but rides nicely). I went over it maybe eight times and gradually progressed from rolling it to getting some air to getting more air. I’ve since been down there and gone almost flat out off it. Anyway, this was my last attempt that afternoon (and the only one we filmed):

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEN4p2szVJM[/video]

Technique definitely in the right direction, stiffer than ideal and not enough movement but it was good to see what I was doing right and what I need to improve. I really enjoy getting air and generally challenging myself with gnarlier riding but I really really really hate falling off so I do my best to ride stuff with good technique and control.

Junkyard
    Free Member

stuff like that I find easy from BMX days what I struggle with is when everything is pointing downhill including the take off and landing – ie it is all downhill and steepish I either land it well or dont even seem to take off [half jump/half roll] and land front wheel heavy therefore i am limited to a couple of foot for fear of death…any tips?

VanHalen

chief guru. i think i almost landed on you guys walking back up at one point.

i was on a shonky looking white cranknfail with a look of moderate concern on my face 😆

junk. just like any other jump you squash before the edge.

Aristotle
    Free Member

what I struggle with is when everything is pointing downhill including the take off and landing – ie it is all downhill and steepish

I know what you mean.

I’ve found that getting weight back and the front wheel up is the way to do it. Easier said than done, though, especially when it is too steep to modulate speed easily. I’ve improved a bit with practice.

On my hardtail I’ve almost fallen off the back of the bike as it is much easier to pop the front wheel up than my full susser 🙂

nwill1
    Free Member

Session stuff over & over, start small work up, find what feels comfortable & take it to the bigger stuff,also check this…..

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/How-To-Drop-Off-and-Jumping-2012.html

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Jumps / Drops – help / pics’ is closed to new replies.