Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Jumping on the fat bandwagon (first snowy ride pics)
  • bedmaker

I couldn’t resist the lure of a fatty any longer. I recently whittled my mtb collection down to 1 so needed a new winter bike.
    Went out to catch the sunrise round the ‘puffer this morning. Just beautiful.

Apparently there are people out there who dislike/can’t see the point of them. How could you not love a bike that looks like this?

[/url]
    Untitled by LOVATSTOVES, on Flickr[/img]
    [/url]
    [/url]

qwerty
    Free Member

I reckon that if the pioneers of mtb had gone more down the fun route than race back in the day then these bike would have evolved sooner. Look so much fun. (and no I don’t own one).

deserter
    Free Member

Very nice pics

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    drain

Looks great – sold! I see one in my not-too-distant future… 🙂

Kbrembo
    Free Member

And such a fun capable machine to ride!

rOcKeTdOg

is it wise to have a white bike to ride in the snow? 🙂

ds3000
    Free Member

Fantastic pics, make me pine for the highlands.

ampthill

I’ll admit to 2 problems with this sort of bike

One i can’t imagine having money for another bike any time soon

Secondly I think I once got a knee problem from some high Q factore cranks. Whick pretty much means they are a non starter for me

But I love the idea. I thought this looked a good variant

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-surly-krampus-13-46694

toby1

That does look like a stunning ride, but I’m not sure trudging round the flatlands of Cambridge would seem worthwhile even with a fatty. Though maybe they would deal with the clay better?

banks
    Free Member

Would love a fat bike, they do make so much sense. It’s just i don’t see why people have winter bikes, unless you race. Proper winter is the only time when i can go out and ride my bike and not have to clean afterwards, frozen trails ftw!

skipwizard
    Free Member

Nice pics, just frost and ice down the south east

butcher

I love the idea of a fat bike but I find pedalling on 2 inch Maxxis Crossmarks hard work. Would I hate fat biking?

pushuprich
    Free Member

Awesome pics, missed thuis weekends ride, cant wait to find what you have already this winter!

singlespeedstu

Just like TB LTc’s, Mukluks also rock.

You have great taste in bikes. 😉

They’re even more fun on rocks/roots than they are on snow though. 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

On the right terrain, a fat tyre is actually less work than a skinny one.

When it is tougher than your Crossmark you’ll only be building up leg strength so when (if) you go back to a skinny bike you’ll enjoy that more too.

Double Win!!!

banks
    Free Member

Cheers druidh i did not need to hear that, i want a fat bike

ampthill

On the right terrain, a fat tyre is actually less work than a skinny one.

well obviuosly or there wouldn’t be any point

bedmaker

I’d agree with the comment that the fatty is less work than a skinny in some conditions. Muddy trails where a narrow tyre digs in and is a real chore are floated over with the fat tyre.
    Knobbly rocky climbs are easier but smooth uphills are more of a drag. The wall climbing grip from the Nate tyres is almost comical at times, they are also fantastic on off camber slippy grassy stuff and wet roots.

The mukluk geometry is really sorted and is just a really fun trail bike. That’s what it was bought for really. Being good in snow is just an added bonus really, I don’t expect to do much snow riding tbh.

SSStu those chinese carbon rims you were interested in have arrived. They look good. I’m just waiting on spokes to build them onto mango Kings for the TB 8) I’ll let you know how I get on with them.

cupra
    Free Member

Have they solved the mukluk chainrub issues on the 2013 bikes without having to redish or space the cassette out? Looks great by the way. Currently swithering between mukluk and pugsley…..

druidh
    Free Member

Tim at Sideways is now importing the 9:zero:7 frames too.

bedmaker

No chainrub issues. The crank has a custom spider, maybe that was to solve rubbing?

T1000
    Free Member

Cupra, despite the articles about the risk of chainrub on the 2012 Mukluk I’ve never experienced any problems….

cupra
    Free Member

Cheers.

singlespeedstu

Cupra, despite the articles about the risk of chainrub on the 2012 Mukluk I’ve never experienced any problems….

Nor have i on my 2011 Mukluk.
    Though i only run a single ring up front.

bedmaker.
    That’d be great if you let me know how you get on.

shortcut

Didn’t need far today.

View this post on Instagram

Earlier – first snow.

A post shared by Andy Smallman (@xshortcut) on

SidewaysTim

What’s not to like? We have some Carvers on the way too and Sandman have finally been in touch – only taken a year!

1981miked
    Free Member

In starting to come round to the looks of them u know.. Doubt I could justify one for the amount of time I’d actually use it tho…

JohnClimber
    Free Member

1981miked – Member

In starting to come round to the looks of them u know.. Doubt I could justify one for the amount of time I’d actually use it tho…

Once you ride one you’ll find it hard to get back on your “normal bike”

Plus you can get one of these on the C2W scheme for about £57 a month

What’s not to like?
    I’ve just ordered one to make it my 2nd Fat Bike and I’ve got a half fat as well.

Once you ride fat you can’t go back 😉

swavis

Absolutely love mine, and even more fun in the snow! 😀

Global Fat Bike Day_057 by GavinBelton, on Flickr

TimothyD
    Free Member

Why are bikes so easy to make collections of?

I’ve started thinking I ‘need’ a fat bike, a 29 inch full sus, a modern stiff steel road bike, a 26 inch hard tail, as well as restoring my great uncles steel roadie. Along with having a general locking up outside shops bike too.

Argh.

druidh
    Free Member

There is definitely something to that. I’ve found myself riding the fatbike as default in preference to the CX bike, the Ti hardtail and the SC Blur XCc. I’m not saying it’s quicker than any or all of them – but it’s tremendous fun.

cupra
    Free Member

Bollocks – finally got the cash together for a mukluk and they are out of stock everywhere, not due back in until end Jan 2013.

Sanny
    Free Member

Nice bike bedmaker.

Where did you take the pics? Looks lovely. 😀

1981miked
    Free Member

Hi John,

Thanks for that….. Now I want one even more.. Just a pity my work doesn’t do C2W and I’m saving for a house so no big spends for now… Apart from a road bike I “need” obviously!

cupra
    Free Member

druidh – 17″ ideally I saw that and I can go and collect it but I fear it will be a bit to too big. I’m 5’11” with a 31 inside leg but quite like my bikes small. I also fancied the tweaked 2013 geometry but beggars and choosers and all that 😉

drofluf
    Free Member

toby1 – Member
    That does look like a stunning ride, but I’m not sure trudging round the flatlands of Cambridge would seem worthwhile even with a fatty. Though maybe they would deal with the clay better?

I think so – on the last group ride I did my Pugsley was coping better with the clay than the others on their ‘skinny’ tyred bikes. Kept more grip and floated over rather than sinking in.

Only down side was noone wanted to ride beside me on the really wet parts because of the bow-wave of spray I was putting up

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Cupra, Go and see Tim, and get a nice 9:Zero:7…

Go on..

You know you want too…

Teetosugars
    Free Member

D’oh. 😳

cupra
    Free Member

Tim is miles away and 9:Zero:7 is probably way beyond budget 🙁 nice thought though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Jumping on the fat bandwagon (first snowy ride pics)’ is closed to new replies.