Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Jumping course
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Does anyone know if there is a course in the south (preferably south-east) that deals with jumping, drops, general free-rideyness?

I am fed up of always bottling jumps and think it's about time I MTFU.

thepurist

All Biked Up do a jumps & drops course on the Surrey Hills.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Talk to Tom Dowie at Chicksands.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

find your local BMX track, there should be at least one token tabletop jump in amongst the doubles. It's then just a case of honeing technique and learning that you do actualy have to go a lot faster than you'd imagine to clear even quite small jumps properly.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

HOME

Tony is on a course up north this week but i'm sure you could drop him a text. He's an awesomely motivational coach 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

find your local BMX track, there should be at least one token tabletop jump in amongst the doubles. It's then just a case of honeing technique and learning that you do actualy have to go a lot faster than you'd imagine to clear even quite small jumps properly.

I live in East Grinstead and as far as I know, there is no local BMX track

Thanks for the replies folks, I'll look into those links.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Go winge at your local council for one then! Great for winter training 🙂

MrAgreeable

Find a quiet corner of waste ground and build some? You can make them bigger as you get more confident.

mikey74
    Free Member

Go winge at your local council for one then! Great for winter training

the way things go around here I'd have more luck trying to invent a magic flying bike.

Find a quiet corner of waste ground and build some? You can make them bigger as you get more confident.

As soon as I build them, someone will object and tear them down.

MrAgreeable

As soon as I build them, someone will object and tear them down.

You'd be surprised. Getting permission and doing things "officially" is always the best way, but while some unofficial jump spots get trashed, some seem to go on forever. If you do decide to take the plunge, make sure you're not building anything with concealed dangers (e.g. rotten bits of wood inside it, or a big hole to fall into if you come up short) and chances are it'll be there for long enough for you to get bored of it.

Alternatively, get up to somewhere with "learner" jumps, and spend the day trying stuff out. A day of tuition would be a good start but you need somewhere to practice what you've learned.

njee20
    Free Member

Anyone tried the All Biked Up stuff? I'm half tempted to give one of their things a go, see if I can develop some larger nads!

mikey74
    Free Member

Alternatively, get up to somewhere with "learner" jumps, and spend the day trying stuff out. A day of tuition would be a good start but you need somewhere to practice what you've learned.

Yeah I was just thinking that. I just need to practice really but have nowhere local to do it. I can travel to Swinley or Chicksands but it's no replacement for having it on my doorstep.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

PORC is that far away??

there are some good learner jumps there

mikey74
    Free Member

Are there? PORC is about 12-15 miles away. I do keep meaning to head over there but haven't got round to it. May have to check it out.

grumm
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend something similar oop north btw? Would be willing to travel a couple of hours or so if there is something particularly good.

Zukemonster
    Free Member

If you live in East Grinstead then surely you will just go to Tilgate. Enough jumps of all sizes to keep you busy a while there I would think

backhander
    Free Member

Does anyone know of anything similar in Bristol/South Wales?
    Skills training for Drops, Jumps etc? Nothing massive on the jumps side really. Would like some instruction in various areas really.

s8tannorm
    Free Member

http://www.forestfreeride.co.uk

Various courses including ones to get your wheels off the ground … and back down again 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

Anything in the Midlands that would fit the bill? Courses or "baby" jumps.

backhander
    Free Member

Cheers forest freeride looks perfect but is bloody miles away, pretty much north wales. Shame.

s8tannorm
    Free Member

We're only about 2.5 hours from the bridge … and don't tell the locals they live in North Wales 😉

Surfr
    Free Member

S8tannorm ooh nice and CLose to me in Aberystwtyth. I may be dropping you an email soon 🙂 Where do you do your jumpy courses?

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Surfr we've 20 acres here with various 'things' to play on and a 1000 acre forest by the back door so there's plenty to go at.

Stuart

backhander
    Free Member

Sorry, I meant no offence at the "north wales" bit!
    Mid wales, I suppose. I was hoping for something a little closer as I may wish to make it a regular thing. A 6 hour round trip is too much I'm afraid.

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Backhander I was only joking about the north wales bit … although it is mid wales.

You're right though, 6 hours is a bit far. Folk from Bristol and below tend to come for a 2 day course to make it worthwhile.

Get yourself into the local woods with a spade, you'd be amazed what you can build 😀

Stuart

Surfr
    Free Member

s8tannorm any chance of a few tantalising photos other than the ones on the website? particularly jumps and 'things'. Might help me convince a few club members to sign up for a course.

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Surfr pop me an email across to stuart@forestfreeride.co.uk and I'll sort some out and send 'em over … chance it won't be tonight now though.

Stuart

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Jumping course’ is closed to new replies.