Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Jump starting car with leads
  • Cougar

It is good practice to connect negative first.

It bloody well is not.

Automotive wiring never seems to work the same after you let all the smoke out of it.

It’s ok, it’s a Field Replaceable Unit.

http://www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_registry/smoke.htm

iamroughrider
    Free Member

also if you can remove a fuse close to the battery for any stereo system. Blew two fuses in one go when I learnt the hard way although this is with an old type car stereo.Not sure about jump starting but for battery disconnects mines Neg off first, On last (iirc) Best look at your manual.

poly
    Free Member

Some years ago I found myself in a similar predicament to the OP. I got the wife to drive very slowly behind the dead car and then push it forward (at increasing speed) – once it had enough momentum she stopped, and I bump started… …worked surprisingly well.

Northwind

I skillfully got the leads the wrong way round while jumping my motorbike with my car. It didn’t hurt the bike but it did weld the jumplead clips fairly decisively to the battery terminals. So on balance I would recommend against it.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Well corrected on the connect negative first thing. I’ve obviously got my wires crossed over the years and remembered it the wrong way round. However I still stand by the fact it doesn’t necessarily matter cause I’ve done it both ways in the past with no adverse effects but maybe I’ve been lucky. Best to play safe I guess.

I think the motorbike thing is more to do with the relative batteries. The car battery probably gave a much more powerful belt than the bike battery could handle.

wwaswas

It’s ok, it’s a Field Replaceable Unit.

I liked that 🙂

Takes me back to my days of using Lucas products on various old British Cars.

Their lighting divisions motto;

“Lucas – Prince of Darkness”

always had the ring of authenticity about it.

Cougar

I knew them as “bringers of darkness”, but yours is probably better.

Speshpaul

Saw a landie in the states with “why do the Brits drink warm beer? Because they have lucas refrigerators” as a bumper sticker

downshep

Connecting the -ve clip to a suspension turret bolt or engine lug forces the current from the healthy battery directly through the dead car. It’s the starter motor that needs the instant oomph more than the dead battery.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Jump starting car with leads’ is closed to new replies.