Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • July family holiday – suggestions please.
  • DickBarton

I'm finally getting my finger out and going to try and organise a family holiday for us (dad, mum and 2-year old daughter)…I don't tend to bother about holidays as I can't decide where I'd like to go or decide that I want to go biking/activiites or relaxing with the good lady – so I've always left it up to her to choose the holiday and I then go along (and enjoy myself).

I'm figuring for 2 weeks I could waste £1000 but have no idea what is on offer or where to go – so destinations please.

We don't tend to do touristy places i.e. resorts but since the daughter has arrived we haven't done the same kind of holidays as we used to…last couple of breaks have been the Centre Parcs and they have been great but I'm figuring we (I) would have about a garnd to spend and would like a fortnight away. Just don't know where or what is on offer for a couple with a young family. Doesn't have to be a foreign country, but would need to have some sort of activities that could be done as a family and stuff for the parents to go do (either together or individually) – if in this country we are likely to be taking the bikes.

So advice please…and hopefully I can then surprise the wife and be in her good books!

DavidB
    Free Member
    freddyg
    Free Member

I was just about to mention Sardinia – until I clicked on DB's link above. Looks good and I'll keep that for when my two are older.

We love Sardinia as it's just so child friendly. We stay in/around Alghero and just potter about – some days out and about, some days lazing on the beach.

Cheap flights available on Easyjet/Ryan Air (can't remember which)

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I wish i could get my family on one of those type holidays 🙁

DickBarton

Looks nice, thanks…anywhere else? I'm guessing that it'll be about a grand just to get there and stay? Looks good though, so thanks for suggesting – is there stuff for a 2 year old to do? What is around there for family activities? I'm pretty happy to walk all day but I suspect my daughter won't be too chuffed…

DavidB
    Free Member

DickBarton, there are no disney parks or anything of that ilk. But loads of empty beautiful, safe beaches, a train that runs for miles up into the mountains with scenic views, boat trips around the gulf and to secluded beaches and Peter and Annes eccentricity which is more than enough entertainment ..

Our kids are a bit older. The main appeal for us has been the fact that it is off the beaten trail

DickBarton

not looking for disney parks (that would involve standing stationery for hours on end in queues – not my idea of a holiday. I'm just wanting to make sure that wherever is suggested has stuff to do for young kids – swimming pools, beaches, whatever it is 2 year old kids do – not looking for theme parks but do want to make sure that wherever we go we don't spend hours in a car to go to some place…want to make sure there is a lot to do close by – minimum travel time, maximum play time (for both parents and child!).

Scenery is very big for me, but does nothing for the 2 year old, so I'm happy to have stunning scenery but it needs to have stuff that appeals to the wee one as well…

We have a place we use often in the south of France that sounds similar to your place in Sardinia (not our place, just somewhere we found miles off the beaten track and is excellent, but there is nothing to do close by for kids so it's kind of ruled out).

Cheers.

DickBarton

Anywhere else?

PeterHerold
    Free Member

I am the "eccentric" Peter Dave B refers to. Just to give you an idea of what kids can do here:
    1. main thing is go to the beach, there are lots of different beaches. Here is one with a 3-year old
    2. go sea kayaking with their Mum and Dad, here
    3. visit some good archeological sites, kids like exploring the nuraghe and “fairies’ houses”
    4. it being Italy, kids are amazingly well-treated in restaurants, waiters often have a supply of toys to keep them entertained…this is worth bearing in mind

Of course, their parents can go riding a couple of days while we look after the kids. Plenty of that about.

This summer, it looks like Easyjet will be providing most of the flights from the UK.

If you like the sound of these activities, even if you don't come to Sardinia, at least you have a tick-list (very different to Centre Parks!) of things to look out for.

Good luck on the brownie point acquisition campaign. Tomorrow I install a new hob, mega points -;) Soapy solution to check for gas leaks means double points

Peter

doc_blues
    Free Member

we did pembrokeshire last year with our then 18 month old – based near tenby (saundersfoot) – not too touristy to be awful (although tenby had its odd moments), but miles of empty beaches (mainly due to the rain) – it was fantastic. Discovered the fantastic beach nr Bosherton Lily ponds on our last day – excellent for kids (althoguh not too good for paddling for the very little ones)- more a surfy beach but great sand.

going back this year (says the man whose idea of a proper holiday up untuil then had been going to either swaledale or the lakes)…mind you, when asked if he would like to go back, our boy answered 'no daddy, no beach, go on a plane to Africa'….

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

definitely a lovely lazy beach holiday in west cornwall, and oh look i can even recommend a great place to stay…

http://www.pilchardstore.co.uk

there'll even be a 50mile megaloop from the doorstep and around penwith in place by the time july rolls around thats a real nice mix of hidden trails and quiet lanes.

p.s. if you (or anyone else from stw) rents it after seeing this post let me know and i'll make a suitable donation to the stw beer fund!

freddyg
    Free Member

Gav, have you got any links to pictures of the place – Flickr or the like?

rhys
    Free Member

July Alp D'huez mega!!
    8)

Or you could try slightly less West Cornwall!!
    I know just the place too!

[/url]

sorry for the blatant plug. End of July and August.

geoffj

TBH for a grand all in for 2 weeks, you are going struggle.
    Sardinia is lovely, been to Santa Teresa many times, but blue skinned Scottish people will struggle in the heat in July – well the 2 year old will anyway.
    Pembrokeshire is lovely too. Spent many holidays in St Davids. If the weather is good it is great, if its not, it can be a bit like the rest of Wales.
    Brittany is perfect for young kids, but unless you camp, you will struggle to get it in under budget once you add travel and ferries.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

freddyg, sent you an email.

DickBarton

More food for thought, thanks…never done this before (organised a holiday for more than just me) so I thought a grand would cover it all…perhaps not!

DickBarton

More food for thought, thanks…never done this before (organised a holiday for more than just me) so I thought a grand would cover it all…perhaps not!

john_drummer
    Free Member

I'm not a great holiday maker, as witness my total holiday list as an adult:

1995: Dordogne, France: hire a gite, self drive via Le Shuttle. 1 week cost about £400
    1997: Crete. July, typical beach holiday. can't remember how much, wasn't too dear to get there but price-fixing among local shops was shocking. nowt to do, too hot, didn't take enough cash, no ATMs, restaurants/tavernas didn't take credit cards. Hated it. Not to mention the plumbing…
    1999: Lagos, Algarve, June – honeymoon, cost about £1200 including flights & a decent apartment. Would go back tomorrow
    2001: Olot, Catalunya. flights, car hire & apartment in a medieval village, all in about £900. 9/11 happened while we were there. Don't go to inland Spain after end of August UNLESS you want to experience the real Spain
    2004: Menorca. totally forgettable. about as Spanish as Spanish City at Whitley Bay.
    2006: French Riviera: fantastic. Nice, Cannes, Monaco, StTrop, Antibes. je l'aime
    2007: see 2006
    2009: Canada. Expensive but OMG I'd live there given the chance. Calgary, Rocky mountains, Vancouver. flights for 2 £1400 before even thinking about accommodation car hire living etc.

BTW these prices are/were for 2 adults, 0 kids

midlifecrashes

A lot of the self catering cottages are tied up by the big agencies like Welcome Cottages, which are OK, but the prices have crept up over the years. VRBO.com and Dalton's holidays are good for self managed places, and we've found some really nice places recently. There are some big savings to be had this way. Edit: Also, the Gower is worth a trip.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘July family holiday – suggestions please.’ is closed to new replies.