Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Juin Tech R1 users. Your experience with them?
  • tomski
    Free Member

Hi I recently replaced the TRP Spyres on my Felt 65X with Juin Tech R1 brakes.
    I was hoping to get more power from the brakes without the big outlay of a hydraulic system.
    I’m not that impressed with the Juin Tech’s to be honest, if anything they don’t feel quite as good as the Spyres.
    I have a weak right hand due to a bad injury and I don’t have the power in my hand to stop well while riding in my natural position on the hoods and using the brakes.
    On my old On-One Scandal with XT hydraulics, stopping was amazing using just 2 fingers and I really crave that power that’s very much lacking at the moment.
    Was thinking maybe compressionless cables may help but not too sure.
    Apart from the brakes I’m loving the bike!
    Any thoughts anyone?

leeroybrown
    Free Member

I have a set on my cx bike, compared to Mtb brakes they aren’t great
    But they are better than the stock cable brakes they replaced

cp

Any cable operated hydraulic is a compromise in power ime.

The only way to get anything approaching an MTB hydraulic brake is to go full road hydraulic, but that gets spendy.

What shifters are you using? I find shimano’s 5700 and 6700 don’t work too well with cable discs unless you have the lever almost to the bars are the point the pads contact the disc.

mattbee

Much better than the previous DB5 for me with 5600 levers.
    Have lasted for the winter through some vile conditions with just the occasional adjustment to take up pad wear/cable stretch.
    They aren’t at full hydro levels of bite but I never wish I had more.
    Noisy as hell on wet rotors though, until they warm up a bit…

cchris2lou

I have been using them since July on my road bike. Used 5 to 6 times a week.
    Not as good as full hydraulic on the mtb but better than the bb7 they replaced.
    I had an issue with the rear caliper which got replaced by Edge sports.
    Then in January I had another issue on both calipers. The pistons were stucked and not getting back.
    Gave them a good clean. Then used Shimano mineral oil to lube them.
    Been fine since.

tomski
    Free Member

The shifters are Shimano 105 5800.
    I’m going to experiment a bit more with the set up and see if I can improve things in anyway…

I also think I need to have a go on a bike with a full road hydraulic setup to see how good things can get.
    Be interesting to see the comparison.

honourablegeorge

I don’t get the point of them – surely by the time you reach the caliper, you’ve had every disadvantage of cable already – compression of the outers, stretch of the inners, weight, etc – and adding hydraulics at that point only adds complication?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i used them and they were much better than the spyres i had before.

honourablegeorge, i never really considered them more complicated than cables. You have to have some method of converting cable pull to moving the pads against the disc, either by rotating a “piston” on some ball bearings or using hyraulic fluid and pistons. They aren’t really much more expensive than cable discs either.

tomski
    Free Member

hmmm, it must be the setup then if Horatio yours were much better than your spyres……..
    At the moment i feel like putting my Spyres back on the bike.

Did your R1’s need much bedding in so to speak with the pads, i’ve tried a few full on stops to see if it’s the pads but so far the performance is unchanged.

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Hi,

Had the Acor version. They were really good for the first week then had the issues with the sticking pistons and just decided (just as there was a price drop) to go for the Shimano 685 full hydraulics. Braking was excellent and set up of them really easy. Lighter than the Spyres they replaced. Would still have them on the bike if they had been reliable.

The Shimano’s just work really well. Been through the worst of salty winter commuting and seriously muddy CX races without missing a beat.

Regards

benji
    Free Member

Had some on test from by local bike shop, now running spyres, much prefer them to the juin techs. The color of the juins w nice but that was about the only plus.

tomski
    Free Member

So after a little bit more fettling with these brakes, I’m much much happier with them now.
    The lever is now much closer to the bars when the brakes start to bite enabling me to use much more force.
    Can get a lot more braking now from riding on the hoods, can easily lock the back wheel up at will and the front can send me over the bars if I try. Previously this was not really possible. Now very happy!

twonks

I have a set of the Acor ones looking at me right now.

Will be putting them on a Boardman CX Comp this weekend as the factory cable things are horrific.

Shall report back my findings.

fooman

I have run a Juin set for 9 months inc 3 peaks previously ran Avid BB5 & BB7. Why run hydro calipers vs mechanical? Lighter, opposing pistons, easier to set up & adjust, more power than Avids (but not as much as good MTB brakes). Don’t have to blow a wad on a full 11 speed set up either.

If there is a weak point it might be sticky pistons. I’ve had a caliper replaced under warranty (& temporarily ran new BB5s which sucked) still just bought a second set (Acors) as they are a good deal cheaper than alternatives.

Interested in direct comparisons to full hydro, Hope V, TRP etc rather than the usual STW ‘I think that’ opinions though.

BTW I changed to Uber Race Matrix early on which give a bit more bite than the standard pads.

maldin
    Free Member

To the guys who have been experiencing sticking pistons:
    How often does it occur?
    How do you solve it?
    How do you prevent it from reoccurring?
    Does it constantly reoccur?
    Have you noticed corrosion/tarnishing of the pistons?

I’ve had a pair of the brakes for a few months and all was going well. They were a bit more powerful than TRP Spyres and the pull was smoother. (My Spyres became “notchy” as if the ball bearings were worn). However, on a recent ride the rear brake pistons jammed on and I had to struggle home. Happened a few more times in the garage whilst I investigated them. I noticed that the brakes and pistons could do with a bit of a clean (fine dirt/dust) but also that the pistons were tarnished/corroded in places. I don’t know whether this is the direct cause of the sticking nor whether there is an easy long term solution to preventing sticking.

In fairness to the distributor, they have sent me some mineral oil to lube the front brake pistons and will send me a replacement rear brake soon. So the customer service has been good. I’m just a little nervous now about whether to expect any further issues and what I can do to prevent them. I don’t want to find myself stranded hours from home with jammed brakes (I needed 200W to ride a 10kph on the flat – 2hrs of that would be some workout! :-)).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Juin Tech R1 users. Your experience with them?’ is closed to new replies.