• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by devs.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Juicy Seven’s or Formula Oro K18’s
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

ok so both are 2007 brakes, both with a reasonable amount of use to be considered “pre-owned”, if I build up the Oro’s then its going to be with goodridge cables, the Sevens would be with regular Avid hoses.

I have been unable to make this decision for the past two months. This is properly doing my swede in!

Which would you go for and why?

dave_aber
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the Oro’s, but I am about to take the 7’s off my nomad and stick SLX’s on.

I’m used to the old (4-pot) XT’s on my old bike (FSR XC) and can’t get happy with the Avid 7’s. Too sharp for my liking, poor modulation.

MrNutt
    Free Member

agh! I use Juicy threes at the moment and the modulation on them is the thing I really like!

psychle
    Free Member

I have a set of Puro Oro’s (I think they’re all based around the same caliper design right?). The modulation and power of the Oro’s is simply fantastic… I have used XT, Avid 7’s, hope mini’s and nothing comes close to the Oro’s. So happy with Formula that I’m going to get a set of The Ones for my Enduro, hopefully they’re as good as the Oro’s (which by all accounts they are, if not better!).. That’s my 2 cents worth 🙂

dave_aber
    Free Member

I was about to offer you a ride on my Nomad to see what you reckoned if you are local – but I just checked your profile, and in truth you couldn’t be much further away!

Find a bike for sale locally with 7’s on it and take a test ride?

bonesetter
    Free Member

i second (or 4th, 5th..) the Oro’s. Small, neat, powerful, modulation

devs
    Free Member

Hey Fanny Baws, I see you are getting paid a fortune offshore to surf forums and shop! Where did you get the SLX brakes? How much? I’m tempted to replace my HFX 9s. Oro K18s are also on my try list. Would be interested in what you think of them if you get them Mr Nutt. From the reviews in 07, Oros kicked butt with all comers. My only reservation is the smaller pad size. I feel happier with bigger pads like on my M4s. I’m a bit of a lard arse and ye cannae change the laws of physics.

psychle
    Free Member

there has to be a reason they’re out of stock everywhere 😉 Could just be that Cube and Scott have sucked their entire supply dry I guess, the b@stards 🙁

dave_aber
    Free Member

[waves] at Devs [/waves]

Got a new in box set on eBay for £120. Not much off the CRC price, but what the hell. Couldn’t be doing with the Avids any more.

And yes, it’s been pretty much surfing all week. God it’s tough out here sometimes.

Laters annat.

freeman
    Free Member

Oro’s, oro’s oro’s!! I had a set of bianco’s and wish id kept em and sold me juicy’s instead. I’m going to go down the K18 route on the new bike, with the the upgrade of the short lever blades of course 🙂

dooge
    Free Member

I love my K18’s, always thought Juicys to be vague and the levers rattle apart after alot of use. Ive tryed them on mates bikes and cant get on with them. I like a mainly wooden brake, small amount of modulation, minimal lever flex and good bite power. K18’s have all of that for me, and have proved to be reliable so far. Contact size of the pads is small but they are powerful brakes, so I am happy with what they do. They are on my DH bike and wont be changing, only to upgrade to some K24’s or The Ones.

MrNutt
    Free Member

hmm looks like the K18’s (with the short levers) I’ve got sat in bits are winning at the moment, no one able to come to the defense of the Juicy Sevens? I kind like my Threes, are the sevens not a couple of times better?

cheers_drive

Oro’s
    I changed fom Juicy 5s to Oro K24s a few months ago. Oro’s are more powerful, have better modulation and most importantly are reliable.

richtea
    Free Member

Oros definitely!

scaredypants

As the final nail in their coffin, I have a Juicy Seven on front of my biggish bike. 8)

200 (or 203?) rotor. Not had a problem* in 3 yrs. I read the “boiling” thread, not sure how I’d do with a back brake but is great on the front for me (BB7/185 on the back) inc 2 wks in Les Arcs, several long descents in 100 degrees in USA.

*OK, there’s a bit of a knack to fitting new pads, and I took 2 goes on the one occasion I bled it (1st try was after midnight the day before I drove to France – worked OK when I rode it but a bit spongy so I redit it – fine again)

(am not exactly a rad dood though)

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Love my juicy seven’s plenty of power (esp with 185 rotors) and very reliable / easy to bleed / self adjusting everything you could want in a brake – but hey might be just me?

pimpmyride
    Free Member

My K24’s are amazing! had mono m4’s on my last bike and the formulas are waaay more powerful!
    Went to morzine last july and for 4 days had immense stopping power no brake fade and zero hassles.
    They just work end of 🙂
    Iv’e heard way too many bad things about the avids and hardly anything good, where as the formulas only get good comments its a no brainer really 🙂

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Devs/spunky, Its the Formula Oro k24s ive got on my heckler, and compared to the hope m4s and hayes nines ive got, they pi$$ all over them!

devs
    Free Member

Got rid of the squeals then Chipbutty? Not that you ever brake! Right then, off to annoy Mrs D and start looking for a deal on Oros.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Juicy Seven’s or Formula Oro K18’s’ is closed to new replies.