Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Juicy 3s – 180/160 vs 203/180
  • idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Morning all…

Just about to fit some Juicy 3s to my Trance X to replace the iffy Hayes that were on there, and pondering on rotor sizes.

Will be getting the flame rotors from Superstar, and am undecided as to whether to get 180F/160R or (my preferred option) 203F/180R. I weigh about 86Kg/190lbs if that helps.

Have heard that J3s are a little underpowered so thought the larger rotor combo would be better – any reason to go for the smaller combo?

Cheers!

cp

depends where you ride really. IMO a brake pad works best once it’s got some heat in it, and using large rotors (203 with juicy 3’s), I don;t think generally I was getting enough heat in them. Works better for me all round with the current 185 on the front.

If it matters to you, I think the SS rotors use a low grade stainless steel, because mine rusts like buggery. All my other rotors don’t, and the other rotor (avid) on the same bike as the ss doesn’t. It’s all over, not just the braking surface, so it’s not just brake pad deposits.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Hmmm, not heard of the SS rotors rusting before – is this a commonly-known thing?

cp

dunno, but mine does!

mintimperial

I’ve got Juicy 3s on 185/160s and when the damn things are working they’re much more than enough for my mincecore riding style. I live in the Pennines so I do ride down some long hills, and I’ve never noticed them fading or owt.

Just make sure you keep them scrupulously clean, and don’t forget to do a full service and change the seals every other ride. Mine generally stop working properly when I open the door and they catch sight of the mud in the garden… 😉

(I probably just got a duff pair. They worked really well for the first 250 miles or so, honest.)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Juicy 3s – 180/160 vs 203/180’ is closed to new replies.