Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Juicers??…are they worth it??
  • cheekyget
    Free Member

Out riding on Sunday and my buddy was telling me about juicers…health benefits etc…
    So it got me thinking but…
    After you brought a half decent juicer, then all the fruit and veg….wouldn’t you be better off just buying ready made off the shelf??

Juicer owners….do you still use yours 6 months later??

scotroutes

No

plumber
    Free Member

no

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    zilog6128

Juicer, no.

Blender (like Nutrininja), I would say yes. Despite being highly sceptical, it’s the most used thing in my kitchen, have used it pretty much every day for years now.

GavinT
    Free Member

Not worth it for juicing fruit. As others will point out it just turns relatively healthy fruit into sugar water.

I quite like to juice vegetables but then that’s partly to get the dry vegetable pulp. I mix it with egg and spices to make veggies patties.

GavinT
    Free Member

although… good for juicing limes if you’re making margaritas!

alanf
    Free Member

No – don’t bother.
    just eat the fruit or veg and get the benefit of the pulp you’re separating from the juice

trailwagger
    Free Member

I tried that green juicing fad a couple of years ago. Me and the wife had such horrendous headaches by mid afternoon of the first day that we gave up!

Juicer has sat in the cupboard ever since

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I binned mine as cleaning it was too much hassle.

If you juice apples you need to drink it within about 20 milliseconds or it starts to go brown.

zilog6128

I tried that green juicing fad a couple of years ago. Me and the wife had such horrendous headaches by mid afternoon of the first day that we gave up!

is that because you swapped your morning coffee for juice though, without realising you’re horribly addicted to caffeine 🙂

MSP

I binned mine as cleaning it was too much hassle.

Yep same.

Although, 4 carrots, 2 apples and a chunk of ginger makes a bloody fantastic drink.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Juicer owners….do you still use yours 6 months later??

Yes, not that often but does get used.

martybenji
    Free Member

Seemed to have to put a lot of fruit in to get a little juice out and a hassle to clean properly. I gave mine away and just eat the fruit now.

trailwagger
    Free Member

is that because you swapped your morning coffee for juice though, without realising you’re horribly addicted to caffeine

yes, although I have gone days before without a coffee and no such effects.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

We still use ours after jumping on the Joe Root 2-week juice fad diety thingy two years ago. It now comes out twice a week on average.
    I like it for the breakfast juice – 2 carrots, 2 oranges, 2 apples and a nob of ginger.
    Wife likes green juice – kale, celery, cucumber etc

Sometimes we just use it as a really good way to get rid of lots of veg in the fridge, or fruit that’s just started to turn.

cheekyget
    Free Member

Brilliant …thanks guys , you just saved me £80

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sometimes we just use it as a really good way to get rid of lots of veg in the fridge, or fruit that’s just started to turn.

A lot of this. A sweep of the fridge and veg box then toss is all in a juicer or blender 🙂

kayla1
    Free Member

No. Just hoy everything in a blender with a dash of OJ to make a smoothie if you want to drink your fruit and veg. OJ, few cherry tomatoes, handful of kale, bits of carrot and some red pepper is nice. You can chuck a few oats in there as well if you want.

Cougar

Seemed to have to put a lot of fruit in to get a little juice out

Never used a juicer but I once had a dabble at making fresh juice with a blender. I was astonished at how little yield you get. I bought a bag of oranges and a bottle to keep in the fridge, never touched the bottle as I just about ended up with a glassful.

johndoh
    Free Member

Never tried a juicer but I have struggled to make anything edible out of the Nutribullet blender. The only nice ones are the ones with loads of added fruit juice or ice cream in which kinda defeats the object. I’d rather eat a pice of fruit.

Soup makers, on the other hand, are brilliant.

Drac

Soup makers, on the other hand, are brilliant.

A pan.

Cougar

Yeah, what constitutes a “soup maker” as opposed to a pan or a slow cooker?

(Genuine question, I make a lot of soup.)

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Health benefits? Don’t make me laugh etc.

Eat the whole fruit. The unjuice is good for you too.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

“soup maker”

I sh** you not, it is a blender that heats up the result.

Because nobody on earth has the skill to blend vegetables in the actual f****** saucepan. That would be mental.

http://www.argos.co.uk/search/soup-maker/

Drac

(Genuine question, I make a lot of soup.)

Been done before Cougar.

I wonder who gave into his wife?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/soup-makers

wallop

Juicing has got to be one of the worst diet fads ever to be marketed.

Cougar

Been done before Cougar.

Oh yeah. Ta.

Cougar

I sh** you not, it is a blender that heats up the result.

They’re not bloody cheap either! 😯

nealglover
    Free Member

I wonder who gave into his wife?

Whut ?! 😯

Drac

I think Aldi or Lidl had them in recently, I didn’t bother as fail to see how it’s any easier or quicker.

crankboy
    Free Member

No, as above a lot of faffing for very little gain.

jonnyboi

Someone said nob.

Sorry

RichPenny
    Free Member

Had a slow juicer that was good, fruit from the market meant it was cheaper and nicer than your supermarket freshly squeezed stuff. Plus obviously you can juice kale if you’re that way inclined. Pretty easy to clean too. Before that had a cheap one, it was shit.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I still use mine. It’s the only way to get all that beastly veg into me. The trick is to rinse it immediately after use rather than attempting to wash it out later. Quick easy job Vs world of pain.

wilburt
    Free Member

We use a blender quite a bit, have done for a few years so not a fad.

wallop

Blending is much better for you, because it retains all the good bits of the fruit & veg, which is why it’s not a fad. But juicing, just no 😆

nealglover
    Free Member

Fruit and Veg is food.

Tea and beer are drinks.

Unless you have no teeth, I can’t see any need to liquidise your food.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Unless you have no teeth, I can’t see any need to liquidise your food.

Umm, because vegetables are horrible? Anyone who says they like eating them is a damned liar.

nealglover
    Free Member

vegetables are horrible

Learn to cook 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

Bung it in, 22 minutes later a blended soup comes out, no mess, no faff, no over-cooking. Yes it can be done in a pan but convenience-wise it can’t be beat IMO. Our soup maker gets used much more than any other gadget at this time of the year.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Juicers??…are they worth it??’ is closed to new replies.