Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • 'Juice plus' capsules: cure-all miracle, quackery, or hype?
  • vickypea
    Free Member

I think Cougar’s quote says it all: “the next best thing to eating fruit and veg”. 😆

chewkw
    Free Member

vickypea – Member
    I think Cougar’s quote says it all: “the next best thing to eating fruit and veg”.

Or eat less of everything …

Seriously eat less and don’t stuff your face at every opportunity. Have some control! 😛

vickypea
    Free Member

After seeing a new testimonial from a woman who atrributes a reduction in seizure frequency to 2 weeks of Juice Plus on the juice plus testimonials Facebook page, I decided to post a polite challenge.
    I said that it would be cheaper and healthier to eat actual fruit and veg, that it was totally implausible that the product could treat such a vast range of medical conditions, and that the manufacturer was avoiding prosecution for false or exaggerated claims by allowing its “reps” to share these testimonals, which by the way are not evidence of benefit.

I received an auto-message saying that my contribution would be read by admin to see if it was suitable for posting. Unsurprisingly, it hasn’t been posted. So they are avoiding challenge.

enduroforever
    Free Member

It’s a load of hog shit if you ask me

johnw1984
    Free Member

I simply cannot stand all these bollocks dust/pill/magic rays diets.

About 6 years ago I was around 23 stone. At the moment, I’m 14 stone 10lbs. I still have a bit of flab, but much more solid these days.

I found a hobby that I’m obsessed with (biking) and incorporated healthier eating and training every week into my lifestyle.

Despite this, most of my friends still turn to all sorts of stupid diets that last a week before they fall of the wagon.

People will only believe what they want to believe. If it looks hard, they won’t want to do it until it’s too late. It’s hard to explain to people that you need more calories (from healthy sources) to exercise.

I’m heavier than all of my friends, but far fitter than them. One of them is 22 years old and the same height (6’2″) and about 12 stone. He can’t run 500 yards without nearly throwing up!

The “diet” industry rakes it in by making people lose weight quickly, then once the initial loss stops, they get depressed, fall of the wagon and it starts all over again…

Cougar

The “diet” industry rakes it in by making people lose weight quickly, then once the initial loss stops, they get depressed, fall of the wagon and it starts all over again…

It’s almost like it’s intentional, isn’t it. After all, if you’re “cured” then there’s no more money to be had.

batfink
    Free Member

I received an auto-message saying that my contribution would be read by admin to see if it was suitable for posting.

Whoops, That probably has them over the line of legality then.

Even in the US 🙄 there are strict rules about what you can and can’t claim your product does – and you’re simply not allowed to make any sort of claim to medical benefit without a licence from the FDA (in the US). Otherwise we are back in the realm of cure-all miracle tonics.

Their “defensive” strategy to allegations that they were doing this is probably hinged on the illusion that these are unsolicited testimonials on an open forum – “we are not responsible for what joe public says about our product” etc etc. In the same way that if I say that Maseratis give you cat aids, STW can’t get sued.

HOWEVER, they have just admitted that it’s not an open forum – and they do moderate/control content.

Unfortunately, by the time the FDA catches up with them, they’ll probably be on to selling yak lotion or something else equally as mad.

vickypea
    Free Member

Hog s*** and yak lotion would probably be more effective!

BillMC

Beer and black pudding are super foods, particularly when taken together. I am living proof.

vickypea
    Free Member

Today’s testimonials include how Juice plus has “cured” alopecia, menopause symptoms (hot flushes, palpitations, itchy skin) and most shockingly: life-threatening brittle asthma – for which the woman has supposedly stopped all her meds.

WTF?

I don’t know whether to report the FB group or continue to add to my list of diseases this ‘carp’ is meant to cure.

allthegear
    Free Member

vickypea – I used to have eczema all down my left arm as a kid until, one day, I trapped my fingers in the entrance door of Morrison’s Supermarket and it cleared up within a month. Clearly, it is an infallible cure…

edit – sorry, I just realised how irresponsible it is of me to suggest ALL Morrison’s Supermarkets might have this effect – this was the one in Yeadon, Leeds. Other supermarket doors, Morrison’s or otherwise, may have different results.

Rachel

rockhopper70

I knew someone who pushed this stuff, best thing since sliced bread it was and loads of what appeared to be cut and paste images of fat to thin people, suggesting before and after.
    The crux of it, for the agent, was to flog boxes for a months worth of “food” and then sign those buyers up as sellers.
    Sort of pyramid scam but with a product.
    I think if you check in six months, they won’t be eulogising about it anymore, having brassed off all their friends nagging all the time to to buy it and realising it does chuff all.

I think they call it network marketing.

I’ve also seen the aloe vera product go down the same route.

Lots of Facebook posts about how great it is, and how being an agent will Make you your own boss and earn big money. Lots of motivational tripe speeches and pictures of flash cars and deserted beach holidays.

andytherocketeer

Sort of pyramid scam but with a product.

multilevel marketing is the normal terminology. perfectly legal so long as the method of marketing is used to sell products, rather than the product existing solely as a way to move money up a chain. both in US and UK.

Lots of motivational tripe speeches

I’ve been to some of those sales and recruitment events. It’s more than motivational tripe. It really is at the level of a cult, and brainwashing.

My friend was on about 4K a month after tax as a PhD student. He lost most of his friends, and bailed from the PhD. Then gave up selling after about 18 months.

I only went to a couple of those events to stop another friend get duped in to the cult. But I know fully well that he was trying to get me along to sign me up, and that our mutual PhD drop-out friend was lining me up to be part of his downline.

One of the products was basically a jumbo digestive hobnob biscuit, but with more flavours than McVities. Only a quid a day per individually wrapped biscuit. Although it was the £30/month (ie 1 litre) drink that was the main product.

To sell someone a bottle of fruit juice and a pack of biscuits monthly, for £60 is definitely going to need cult-like motivational speeches.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘'Juice plus' capsules: cure-all miracle, quackery, or hype?’ is closed to new replies.