Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Juice diet programme last night…anyone?
  • ton

anyone see the juice diet programme last night, bit extreme eh?

anyone tried it, what kind of results?

Jamie
    Free Member

I normally do it just for breakfast.

….maybe with some toast.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

not tried it, not seen it, but well aware of it

it will have the exact same results as any extreme calorie restriction diet

mikewsmith
    Free Member

does it involve eating less?

it will probably work

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I watched it, entertaining program, easy to understand the idea behind it (you only need the nutrients/fibre, he had enough ‘energy’ stored as fat) , but none of the medical profesionals actualy advocated his diet. One of them advocated just inverting the averageamerican diet from 5% fruit/veg and mostly meat/carbs to motly fruit veg and very little meat (2 days/week IIRC). His doc also said he could only do it under supervision but maybe that was mainly due to the coctail of meds he was on.

The nutritionist seemed to be saying actual fruit/veg would be better for you, but juiced was the least bad alternative.

it will have the exact same results as any extreme calorie restriction diet

I think the idea was you only ate a LOT of good micronutrient stuff and let the body burn off it’s own energy, a mars bar a day would be calorie restriction.

He mentioned that it was almost painfull going back to food, I’m guessing after 2 months of nothing but liquids it’s like having a gastric band!

The add breaks made it seem like an advertorial for juicers.

He did look very healthy by the end of the probram though. I’m actualy tempted to see what would happen in a week.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I’m actualy tempted to see what would happen in a week.

You’ll lose a couple of pounds.

If you accept that this is all a bit approximate, the math is pretty straightforward;

– fat contains roughly 3500 calories.
    – average metabolic rate is around, what, 2500 calories a day?
    – you’ll probably get somewhere around 500 from juice, maybe more.

energy defecit is 2000, which is about 1/2lb fat per day.

Somewhere out there (early last century) a study was done (in lab conditions) on a man weighing over 400lbs, who was given what was essentially the juice diet for a year, and lost about 200lbs, or to put it another way, about 1/2lb a day. I wish I had a link to it.

Mentally that must have been a nightmare!

It would probably do horrible things to your body’s hormonal system and its regulation, which might take a long long time to recover.

kimbers

Just come back from a 2hr debate on obesity hosted by some of the top experts at University College hospital

extreme calorie restriction diets only work in the short term, long term you will end up gaining more weight as your body produces elevated hunger hormones and doesnt stop producing them even after dieting stops, this lasts for years

best solution is gastric band surgery!
    realistically small bursts of intense exercise combined with a sensible diet and sourcing calories from protein rather than carbs, tho avoiding processed red meat is best

ultimately the conclusion was that political will is needed to change the ingredients in food, obesity is a bigger killer than smoking now but we wont legislate against the food industry

Solo
    Free Member

extreme calorie restriction diets only work in the short term

Have you been issued with your STW flame and pitch fork resistant body armour ?. You’ll need it round these ere parts. Heretic !
    🙂

ultimately the conclusion was that political will is needed to change the ingredients in food
    Will this be an election winner ?

😆 @ MMF

Kryton57

realistically small bursts of intense exercise combined with a sensible diet and sourcing calories from protein rather than carbs, tho avoiding processed red meat is best

This. This is what I learned from Molgrips (thanks Molgrips!) on a previous thread. Since then, I’ve change my routine to a mediocre portion of breakfast at 7am, and nothing else but coffee before I hit the intervals at 11:00. Lunch is after the ride and primarily protien based (a choc milk shot immediately after the ride) My evening meal is pretty normal although my appetite has reduced, I’ve cut down on evening beer and when I do eat, I pick healthy options. Friday is treat bacon roll day.

Anyway, 11 weeks 8lbs lost.

kimbers

What was also interesting was that gastric surgery doesnt work because it make your stomach smaller, Its because the gut lining removed removed during surgery is the major source of the hormones that make you want to eat

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Its because the gut lining removed removed during surgery is the major source of the hormones that make you want to eat

interesting

are there any stomach surgeries that leave the gut lining intact, i.e. small available stomach yet still pumping out plenty nom-nom hunger hormones?

long term you will end up gaining more weight as your body produces elevated hunger hormones and doesnt stop producing them even after dieting stops, this lasts for years, unless you have willpower enough to ignore the hunger

FTFY

kimbers

not that are used a UCH, because they dont work, its been done in mice though

downside is that you loose the ability to absorb nutrients so well but having to take a multi vitamin a day is better than weighing 20 stones!

also noted was that all stomachs are roughly the same size no matter how big the individual

kimbers

I was waiting for someone to bring up willpower

as its driven by hormones, that is very very hard to do, in the same way its very hard to ignore the need to have sex (or a tommy tank) by the time patients reach the stage that the NHS give them surgery their bodies are so hormonally over-stimulated that its virtually impossible

Gunz
    Free Member

People have surgery to stop them tommy tanking, what is wrong with this world?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

as its driven by hormones, that is very very hard to do,

never said it was easy – and yes by the time it reaches surgery time, you’re well into intervention strategies.

MrSmith
    Free Member

i know somebody who is on this. he felt crap for 2 days then felt fantastic and is losing some weight and now on the way to introducing ‘normal’ food and was allowed a chicken breast and salad last weekend. 😀
    he thinks it’s great but sees it as a kickstart into a healthy eating regime and is bringing a bit of cycling into the mix too. from a fad diet sceptic i see this as a better alternative to something like the atkins diet and in his case i expect him to not be on the the diet forever but end up having lost some weight and eating a lot healthier and probably having a juice meal for lunch or breakfast and a normal evening meal and being healthier/slimmer for it.

Solo
    Free Member

never said it was easy

Oh dear. Has anyone ever considered that people who are over weight, but do not wish to be. Might have already tried eating less ? The Human Hormonal system (Molgrips may not be included) is a very tricky little thing. It’ll make you feel hungry to the point of distraction, then partition the calories you consume, without you getting a word in. Not only is “eat less and do more” some of the cruellest advice you could give to someone asking for help. But it also indicates a lack of understanding of the issue. But hey-ho.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Thanks for clearing that up, I wasn’t aware that ignoring hormonal impulses was an incredibly difficult thing to do. Maybe I should have been more obvious in the first post about the fact I was simply adding that for completeness.

Although I’m curious as to what exactly you mean by

then partition the calories you consume, without you getting a word in

as when it comes to overeating, calorie partitioning isn’t very relevant, IIRC

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Juice diet programme last night…anyone?’ is closed to new replies.