Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Judder under heavy braking?
  • V8_shin_print
    Free Member

what’s causing it? warped disc?

Juicy 5 brake, 185 disc, spesh/stout wheel, RS Tora 318 SL, no obvious play in anything – any ideas?

deadlyhifi
    Free Member

how’s the headset?

richc
    Free Member

What rotor are you using? if its the Octagon one, its that. Doesn’t effect braking, just feels odd.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ah,that’ll be yer ABS, surely?

MrNutt
    Free Member

headset, fork, callipers, rotors, pads, wheels?

VanHalen

i find wavey discs do this.

jam-bo

flexy fork?

richc
    Free Member

If he does have the octagon rotor, the judder seems to be caused by the braking surface area changing size as the rotor moves through the caliper.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

i have the octagon disc. It’s a shame, i just changed the 160 to a 185 and bought the octagon so it would match the back – typical!

I might have a spare Hope disc around that i could stick on and see if that fixes it.

It is annoying, it does feel like the headset but i have just swapped frames (and headset) so i know it isn’t that.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Last time I had heavy brake judder I realised that it was caused by the caliper coming loose. That was alarming.

🙂

trailmonkey

I’ve experienced this when using Octopus brand pads. Put Hope ones in and the problem was solved.

pjt201
    Free Member

i get this too. headset dismanteled at the weekend, nothing wrong with that, no play in forks, wheels, rotors or calipers. can’t for the life of me work it out. must be something to do with pads or rotors.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Thinking about it, this didn’t use to happen when the bike was new. I think i warped the new disc not long after fitting it (well, easyjet warped it for me) is it possible to get them back to true? I have read about people using an adjustable spanner the try and straighten them but i would be surprised if it works. It is only slightly out of true, it will spin through the caliper without touching.

Toasty

Assuming it’s not a loose headset or rotor, could it be your brake rotor overheating?

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

i don’t think it’s overheating, i got it while out pottering about with the wife at the weekend. The performance doesn’t degrade, it just judders from cold.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

oops! sorry Toasty, just realised you were talking to pjt201

darrell
    Free Member

last time i had it the brake pads were contaminated with a bit of oil..

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Judder under heavy braking?’ is closed to new replies.