Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Joystick or Diablo ?
  • sheepshifter
    Free Member

Use a Maxx D on the bars , which of the mentioned would be best , bearing in mind my average ride is 2/3 hours .

iainc

I use MaxxD and Joystick and my average ride is about the same. Current versions of both. I toggle the power on the joystick between the 3 settings and it lasts fine. Diablo is heavier and you’d still need to toggle the power to make it last.

scaled
    Free Member

And just to even the score… Same ride time and maxxd and I use a diablo 😀

I use it on unlit lanes on the road bike as well, cracking for that.

burgatedicky

Got both…
    Used to have a joystick on the helmet and an older Gloworm on the bars, worked pretty well but the joystick beam pattern is very “spot” if that makes sense.

Then splurged on a six-pack from Evans in their 30% off sale and found the joystick got completely lost in the light from the six-pack.
    (I hasten to add I also tried a Maxx-D and thought it was great, but couldn’t justify NOT spending another a few pounds on a six-pack!)

Then bought a Diablo (just caught the end of the same sale) and found that although its beam was still almost lost in the six-pack when looking forward its spread of light was much better when looking around on the trail, technical corners etc, when the joystick would just illuminate a small area. it defiantly doesn’t throw was far up the trail, but your depth perception and general see-ability are much better.

The Diablos battery life is a bit pants though, I had to buy a support cell to run it on med/high power for anything more than a 1hr ride. The TAP function is bloody useful though, even if you do look like a bit of a pillock banging yourself on the head at the start of every decent!

I do now think I have a pretty perfect set up, and the joystick has been moved onto the bars of the road bike to use its endless battery life on flashing mode.

HTH, Dicky

nixie

I’ve got a diablo. My feelings echo burgatedickys. Disappointed at the moment.

jam-bo

I’ve got an axis and quite like it.

mattbee

I run an Equinox and a Joystick. The Equinox needs a support cell to be useful for more than an hour.
    Previously had a Max D but it died after one too many crashes & I never got round to getting it fixed.

clubby

Agree with Jambo, I went for an Axis as it’s the middle ground between the two.

commander
    Free Member

Another vote for the Axis, its like the forgotten light of the range.
    Ive got nearly every light Exposure make (missing a six pack, I had one but very spotty for me, prefer the Maxx D) and the Axis is by far the most versatile, plus I got them in Wiggle sale for £100 so ended up with 3…..

chiefgrooveguru

I just replaced a very old Diablo with a new one. I believe the old one was about the same power as a current Joystick. I have a Maxx-D on the bars which is a few years old (first of the programmable ones). Did a three hour night ride earlier which is about the shortest I do, often stretch out to four and sometimes five hours. Group part of the ride is the middle two hours.

The new Diablo’s extra brightness matches well with the power of the Maxx-D, so I could run it on full (both are about 1500 lumens). Much better visibility than before, especially in a group with powerful lights. The tap function is great. The new power gauge is much better. It was on 25-40% left when I got home.

If you’re solo night riding and/or not going flat out at times then a Joystick may be fine.

scud
    Free Member

I went for latest Mk12 Joystick, not as powerful as Diablo, but i realised when bikepacking i was taking a seperate headtorch, with the Joystick you can buy the headband to convert it to a headtorch, the Diablo doesnt’t fit, just a little thing to consider if you’re that way inclined

whitestone
    Free Member

@scud – if you need a torch when around camp then most smartphones have one built in. Not particularly powerful but enough to do most tasks by. You can also get Drok USB lights that just plug into any USB socket so if you’ve a battery pack you’re sorted – £6 for five!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Joystick or Diablo ?’ is closed to new replies.