• This topic has 127 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 8 posts - 121 through 128 (of 128 total)
  • Joshua Klitchko
  • mooman
    Free Member

theotherjonv – Member
    Cheers. Brutal punching in R11 (why was it being called the ‘Championship round’ btw)

What do you reckon AJ was doing staring at him as the ref stopped it? Red mist, or concern or what?

The latter rounds are called the championship rounds because thats inevitably where the fight will be won or lost … a guy tiring and losing the last couple or tiring and getting KO`d.

Stared at him I would guess praying he stays down – he almost gassed and paid the price in the 5/6th when he put a big effort in.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Once he reached 40 yr old that’s where most of his losses started 6 out of 8 losses from age 40 and above. His winning record after 40 yr old was almost 50/50.

not quite.. Yes he went on to long, but he stil won a world title or two in his mid to late 40s. And other than the loss in his last fight and (and arguably chad dawson,) the guys he lost to were top class. Kovalev and Calzaghe were top 4 or 5 pfp. Even Taylor was pretty good the the time.

But yes its all relative…But it also kind of proves my pont.

Hopkins a whiley old fox who could hustle out a result by ring craft.

Compare him to what happened to his far more talented nemesis, the great Roy Jones Jnr. Speed and relexes are the first things to go. Not many fighters in the lower weights win titles above the age of 35. There are obviously exceptions however..

johndoh
    Free Member

A great fight – how the hell it got past round 6 I will never know – watched it several times on repeat before even finishing the match and it was brutal. Pretty much real life Rocky.

pondo

The latter rounds are called the championship rounds because thats inevitably where the fight will be won or lost …

Is it not that championship fights have more rounds?

wrecker
    Free Member

I think people are underestimating how big a task Klit was. Just because he had an off day against Fury, it doesn’t mean that he’s not a very tough task who’d been at the top for near 15 years. AJ hasn’t even been boxing for that long has he?
    AJ did well to still be in it at 11 rounds, with a fag paper between them on the score cards and still go and knock him out. He deserves the belts and it’s great to finally have someone breathe life into the heavyweight division.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

With the mental health issue, should Fury even get a fight licence again?.

duckman

Not just the mental health issues; surely a ban for the doping AND the refusal to submit to a test.

DezB
    Free Member

For those, like me who weren’t prepared to shell out the exorbitant PPV fees – Sky sports 2, Saturday 6th 7:30pm: Fight Night: Joshua v Klitschko

Is it not that championship fights have more rounds?

They used to – rnds 13-15 were the “championship rounds” when 15 round title fights were actually for THE World championship. Now they just use the expression for 11&12, which is a bit crap as nearly all title fights are 12 rounds (area/national/european etc).

Viewing 8 posts - 121 through 128 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Joshua Klitchko’ is closed to new replies.