Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Jordan Peterson interviewed by Cathy Newman on C4 News
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

I know I know but really this is excellent, a very thorough and honest review of what Peterson is actually saying and arguing for, it’s genuinely fascinating and informative.

Now, Cathy Newman is coming if for a lot of criticism and being painted in a very negative way but actually, I think she did a really good job with this interview. She approached interviewing him from the perspective that hates and derides Peterson but in doing so, Peterson is able to show just how wrong and misguided so many of the interpretations of his ideas are.

I know so many peopel will hate this and me for posting it and that’s OK.

[video]https://youtu.be/aMcjxSThD54?t=2[/video]

SaxonRider

Why would people hate this?

I agree with your description of what happened between Peterson and Newman, yet I can’t help but wonder at the unwillingness some people have for being challenged.

Peterson first came to light because he refused to use gender-neutral pronouns with his university classes. But he wasn’t just knee-jerking in response. He offered a number of academic/sociological/psychological/historical reasons for his approach.

Those who can contend with his position on an equal, point-by-point basis probably should. But it’s not like this guy is some populist wingnut. He’s a long-standing, serious, rigorous professor of psychology.

jimjam
    Free Member

SaxonRider – Member

Why would people hate this?

I agree with your description of what happened between Peterson and Newman, yet I can’t help but wonder at the unwillingness some people have for being challenged.

Peterson first came to light because he refused to use gender-neutral pronouns with his university classes. But he wasn’t just knee-jerking in response. He offered a number of academic/sociological/psychological/historical reasons for his approach.

Those who can contend with his position on an equal, point-by-point basis probably should. But it’s not like this guy is some populist wingnut. He’s a long-standing, serious, rigorous professor of psychology.

/Thread.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    surfer
    Free Member

Jimjam +1

It has been described as “train wreck” etc on Twitter, not sure I agree. I do think Newman spent a lot of time trying to put words in his mouth and there was clearly one “winner”.

Sam Harris has interviewed him twice on his podcast. The first got a bit derrailed as they disagreed on “truth” both interesting though.

nickc

I think JP has some interesting things to say to men: toughen up, speak their truth, all sound advice.

But the barely concealed misogyny is too obvious (I’ve heard him in YouTube videos complaining that he cannot hit women, or threaten to use violence against women) and calling on women to “call off the crazed harpy sisters” (a phrase he’s particularly fond of) and says this threatens the “masculinity of culture” (another sound bite he uses a lot), is preposterous guff really.

the pronoun thing he’s famous for is an obvious logic fail, He tries to rail against “compelled speech” I wonder how he’d object if people started calling him “bitch” or “it” or “her”…There are loads of ways we’re bound by compelled speech, that he doesn’t seem to object to generally, but being polite to some-one by calling them by a preferred name isn’t one of them? It’s just weird.

enfht
    Free Member

She did train wreck, completely.

‘So, what you’re saying is x’
    ‘No, what I said is y’
    ‘So, what you’re then saying is x’
    ‘No, not at all, what I’m saying is y’
    ‘So, what you’re actually saying is x’
    ‘No, I didn’t say that, I said y’
    ‘So, what you’re in fact saying is x’
    ‘No, what I said is y’

😆

Fact over feelings always wins, which is why he’s labelled all the common nasty words by the ‘enlightened’ and ‘progressive’ left.

They just don’t like it up ’em. 😀

surfer
    Free Member

“compelled speech” I wonder how he’d object if people started calling him “bitch” or “it” or “her”…There are loads of ways we’re bound by compelled speech, that he doesn’t seem to object to generally, but being polite to some-one by calling them by a preferred name isn’t one of them? It’s just weird.

Thats a bad comparison for several reasons. Peterson is objecting to being forced to use language through legislation.

Junkyard
    Free Member

But it’s not like this guy is some populist wingnut

True I mean who would not agree with this

I will never use words I hate, like the trendy and artificially constructed words “zhe” and “zher.” These words are at the vanguard of a post-modern, radical leftist ideology that I detest, and which is, in my professional opinion, frighteningly similar to the Marxist doctrines that killed at least 100 million people in the 20th century.

I have been studying authoritarianism on the right and the left for 35 years. I wrote a book, Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief, on the topic, which explores how ideologies hijack language and belief. As a result of my studies, I have come to believe that Marxism is a murderous ideology. I believe its practitioners in modern universities should be ashamed of themselves for continuing to promote such vicious, untenable and anti-human ideas, and for indoctrinating their students with these beliefs. I am therefore not going to mouth Marxist words. That would make me a puppet of the radical left, and that is not going to happen. Period.[57]

IMHO referring to someone how they want is just simple manners I dont see it as some marxist plan and I think anyone who does is the very definition of a wingnut

surfer
    Free Member

IMHO referring to someone how they want is just simple manners

And if you dont have those “manners” then you can be arrested. Being well mannered is a good thing but having bad manners doesnt make you a criminal. Your post is just ad hominem

enfht
    Free Member

You’re assuming using the ‘correct’ pronoun would remain optional and courteous, whereas SJW’s and their ilk want to legislate and impose their BS on society, and punish those who object to enforced cultural marxism.

jimjam
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus

Your opinion is wrong and you miss the point entirely. Peterson’s stance, aside from cultural is also practical. The legislation Peterson objects to could see employers and educational bodies sued for violating a persons human rights if any employee or staff member deliberately or accidentally mis-gendered someone, even when that person’s gender, gender pronoun and name is completely fluid and can change at any time at any moment of their choosing.

If you work beside Bob, and Bob decided on his lunch break that he’s Jane this evening and you call him Bob unaware of his gender fluidity today you have commited a crime and Bob can sue his employer. Peterson isn’t objecting to Bob asking you nicely to refer to him by his or her preferred term or pronoun, he’s objecting to the full power of the law being brought to bare on someone who doesn’t comply or someone who makes a mistake.

Most men transitioning to females want to be called her, most women transitioning to be men want to be referred to as he, and addressed with male pronouns. This is a divisive piece of word play that harms transgender people who want to get on with their transitions and their lives as normally as they can as opposed to being used as a political football or a tool of oppression.

I dont see it as some marxist plan and I think anyone who does is the very definition of a wingnut

And yet Peterson does a beautiful job of describing the relationship between forcing people to speak how the state mandates, suppression of free speech, left wing authoritarianism and radical feminism. I should probably just copy and past this when you post the above for the fifth time 😉

kelvin

Seems a no brainier to me.

And if you dont have those “manners” then you can be arrested

Who has been arrested for using the wrong pronoun?

you call him Bob unaware of his gender fluidity today you have commited a crime

What crime, in which country? Point me to the law please.

This could well be the thread that makes me give up on this forum completely.

enfht
    Free Member

This could well be the thread that makes me give up on this forum reality completely.

I identify as an 86yr old retired female philipino school teacher.

surfer
    Free Member

This could well be the thread that makes me give up on this forum completely

Dont let the door hit you on the way out.

ninfan
    Free Member

I identify as an 86yr old retired female philipino school teacher.

You and me both brother sister.

surfer
    Free Member

Excellent post Jimjam 😛

enfht
    Free Member

Don’t assume my gender!

ninfan
    Free Member

Apologies, it was the attack helicopter in me coming out

rene59
    Free Member

Not always. People who want to be a one off and special and demand everyone call them whatever they want can **** right off. Doubly so if not calling them that leads to sanctions or even the threat of sanctions.

jimjam
    Free Member

surfer – Member

Excellent post Jimjam

It’s Lady Chief Sir Supermanwoman now if you don’t mind. And I object to having the term “member” next to my name as misgenders me it propagates the patriarchal stereotype of the conceptual penis.

oldbloke
    Free Member

What crime, in which country? Point me to the law please.

This whole subject is a bit of a novelty to me, but Google says Canada has done something like that. JP is Canadian.

rene59
    Free Member

The GRA 2004 is up for review right now in the Scottish Parliment. It’s pretty controversial for many people what is being considered. The abuse and persecution dished out by activists to anyone who dares question it is a perfect example of the authoritarianism mentioned in this and other videos.

kelvin

They’ve done “something like that” – well, that’s clear.
    You’ll find that NYC has also done “something like that”.

Being arrested for accidentally using the wrong pronoun, or calling someone “Bob”, is make believe.

surfer
    Free Member

@Kelvin if your interested, do your own research

kelvin

Nope, point me at the law that means you are committing a criminal offence, and can be arrested, for accidental use of the wrong pronoun, or firstname.

oldbloke
    Free Member

I doubt it does and as the Canadian law is only a couple of hundred words long it won’t take anyone that long to check. Don’t know if there are circumstances where it could lead to an offence – there’s usually someone who can work out a really contrived situation.

nickc

The legislation Peterson objects to could see employers and educational bodies sued for violating a persons human rights if any employee or staff member deliberately or accidentally mis-gendered someone

You are as wrong as JP in your assumptions about this piece of legislation, and like him; clearly haven’t actually understood the Ontario civil Law in question.

Don’t believe everything JP says in his videos, he is above all else, a propagandist. As I said, he has some important things to say. Gendered pronoun misuse however, isn’t one of them.

SaxonRider

This could well be the thread that makes me give up on this forum completely.

Wow. That really is lame.

For all that those who are religious have bee challenged on here (and I am not complaining about that), and for all people get flamed for their positions on one thing or another, you’re going to throw your toys out of the pram?

That is like my neighbour who – in spite of the fact that we agree on a great deal – because I expressed some tentative reservations about Jeremy Corbyn, blocked me on facebook.

What has discourse come to if this is how people react? 😯 and 🙁

cranberry
    Free Member

That is like my neighbour who – in spite of the fact that we agree on a great deal – because I expressed some tentative reservations about Jeremy Corbyn, blocked me on facebook.

JC our saviour has arisen and yet you doubt him ?

Judas!

😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

And if you dont have those “manners” then you can be arrested.

PRoof please

Being well mannered is a good thing but having bad manners doesnt make you a criminal

Depends how bad they are so just not true.

Your post is just ad hominem

I understand why you want to attack me rather than defend that so lets here your defence of it being a marxist plot.

deviant
    Free Member

Good interview…demonstrates perfectly how some try to debate with entrenched emotion and ‘feelings’ based arguments while others stay calm and prefer facts…sadly these kind of conversations are becoming rarer because views like those espoused by JP are incorrectly labeled far-right and media outlets are then under pressure to no-platform them.

Douglas Murray is another good one to listen to, hugely intelligent, wonderful speaker…worth finding his YouTube stuff, also writes for the Spectator…another one the mainstream media incorrectly labels as far-right because they don’t agree with him…easier to do that than try to engage with him.

jimjam
    Free Member

nickc – Member

You are as wrong as JP in your assumptions about this piece of legislation, and like him; clearly haven’t actually understood the Ontario civil Law in question.

IIRC it’s the openness of the legislation and how it could potentially be applied that is the issue. The bill has made it illegal to discriminate against someone’s chosen gender expression.

Now to be clear I think people can and should do whatever they want with whomever they want and they should, straight, gay, trans bi whatever. The point of debate was that anything could be construed as a form of gender expression (including being referred to by your preferred pronoun). This is law now and you are potentially stepping on Bob’s human rights by not calling him Jane if that is his chosen form of gender expression.

Anyway, there’s a lot more to Petterson than bill C-16 and gender pronouns but some people can’t past the idea that the bad professor must be a Nazi because he won’t use made up words. I’m not going to debate it any further because Petterson himself does a much better job and there are hundreds of hours of him online for anyone who actually has an open mind.

nickc

Ok, you’re factually wrong on C-16, but as you quite rightly point out, it’s probably a minor point. You’re also right that there are hours of JP on line (boy, that man loves to talk), and most of it is guff. I won’t call him a Nazi, but I do think he’s as equally bad as the “Crazed Harpy Sisters” that he clearly hates.

I think the world need less propaganda, and as you suggest, there’s enough Peterson on line for people to make their own minds up about him and what he stands for.

Junkyard
    Free Member

views like those espoused by JP are incorrectly labeled far-right

so you also think its a marxist conspiracy then and he is correct and not a little extreme?

He may be bright, he may have research but lets not try and pretend he is not a right wing polemicist as well.

some people can’t past the idea that the bad professor must be a Nazi because he won’t use made up words

He is not a nazi but some of his reasons [ a marxist conspiracy – really ] are very very much at the extreme end.

jimjam
    Free Member

nickc – Member

Ok, you’re factually wrong on C-16,

http://www.parl.ca/DocumentViewer/en/42-1/bill/C-16/first-reading

SUMMARY
    This enactment amends the Canadian Human Rights Act to add gender identity and gender expression to the list of prohibited grounds of discrimination.

kelvin

you’re going to throw your toys out of the pram?

Nope, just considering wasting less time here, because of who else wastes their time here. Less about throwing my toys, and more about closing the lid on a box of angry little trolls, and letting them enjoy their nonsense without my futile interjections.

mefty
    Free Member

Good tv, he certainly marshals his arguments very well, too well for Cathy Newman that is for sure, he seems to have lots of interesting stuff to say. Certainly can’t see how anyone could have got into trouble for showing a clip of one of his debates because of his “unacceptable” views.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I think the world need less propaganda, and as you suggest, there’s enough Peterson on line for people to make their own minds up about him and what he stands for.

The last thing that JBP is, is a propogandist. That’s his whole point; he bases his position on evidence and data and tries to draw conclusions based on that. Now of course, in the drawing of conclusions there will be some bias introduced; it’s impossible for that not to happen in the derivation of any conclusion, but Peterson does a pretty good job of staying as focused on what the data tells us as anyone I’ve ever met.

The reason people think him polemical or a propogandist is because his conclusions, particularly around gender, are so far from received wisdom and popular/political opinion (and in this way also truely abhorent to a lot of people) as to be only explainable to those people as such. The thought process is ‘how can anyone think such a thing? They MUST be a Facist’.

surfer
    Free Member

And if you dont have those “manners” then you can be arrested.
    PRoof please
    Being well mannered is a good thing but having bad manners doesnt make you a criminal
    Depends how bad they are so just not true.
    Your post is just ad hominem
    I understand why you want to attack me rather than defend that so lets here your defence of it being a marxist plot.

Usual straw men and ad hominem from the usual suspects 😀

And a major flounce and the thread isnt even 2 pages long 😀

nickc

1. I thought you weren’t going to debate anymore, scared you won’t get the last word in?

2, the scenario you propose about some-one falling foul of C16 isn’t possible under Canadian legislation, it’s as fake as JP reading of the same act (which, btw, he noted in his original speech about the act, that he hadn’t done, and it’s clear you haven’t either) The bill doesn’t mention gender pronouns at all. It’s a boilerplate anti discrimination act, and aligns Ontario civil law with existing Federal law, it doesn’t (as JP tried to suggest) promote “genocide” Go watch his lecture on it if you don’t believe he said this.

In order to fall foul of the law you have to be guilty of a breach of the peace, (in other words, violence). It is, quite obviously, a high burden of proof for any accuser to bear. also, it puts you and JP in a rather uncomfortable conceptual problem. In order to prove that C16 risks the kinds of censorship you describe, you have to prove that the refusal to use particular personal pronouns carries a risk of physical violence against trans people and the gender-nonconformist; then, in order to defend the position you began with, you need to demonstrate that this violence is preferable to the curtailing of free pronoun-use, which the bill doesn’t ask you to do anyway…

3. He is a propagandist, for all the reasons above. This is the same sort of nonsense that Trump and Farage indulge in, claim something means one thing, when it clearly does nothing of the sort. In his speech about this bill he derides “radical leftist social justice warriors” and complains that the (at the time) premiere is a “Lesbian in her current (my emphasis) sexual preference” and that it’s well known that the LBGT movement has a “very sophisticated radical fringe” and he “can’t help but see the hand of that” in the portions of the “radial” bill that he didn’t read, remember?

4. Lastly; here’s the way in which Canadian law defines gender expression.

“Gender expression is the way in which people publicly present their gender. It is the presentation of gender through such aspect as dress, hair, make-up, body language and voice”.

This is the relevant piece of legislation that C-16 aligns itself with. You’ll note no doubt, the lack of gender specific pro-nouns.

JP has some things to say, one of which is “don’t be afraid to speak the truth”. He got this wrong, badly wrong, and it’s one of the reasons he’s so keen to move on from it now, and doesn’t want to give it airtime, and was very nearly sacked for. If you have got an “open mind” as you claim, then you’ll be happy that you now know the actuality instead of one man’s attempt to hog the limelight to make a propaganda point about leftie social lib-tards, and “current” lesbians in his home state.

I’m done here.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Jordan Peterson interviewed by Cathy Newman on C4 News’ is closed to new replies.