Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Joplin 4- How cheap to be worth taking the risk
  • uphillcursing
    Free Member

As above,

If you were offered one hardly used Joplin4 how cheap would it have to be to take a punt on it?

Junkyard
    Free Member

£30-40

its really how much to you want to spend knowing it will eventually fail IMHO

mattbee

I’d say sub £50 and only if it’s been looked after and isn’t broken (beyond its natural state.)
    I ran one for around a year. Wobbly, and needed regreasing pretty regularly.
    Stuck a neoprene boot over it which I took off after every ride, and fitted a good quality cable.
    Always did what it was supposed to, and the horrendously loose wobble disappeared with my weight on it.
    So it was crap, but as long as you know that and take a few remedial steps it will still work, but in a bit of a shonky fashion so it needs to be cheap enough to be worth the hassle.
    Still in my spares bin as a replacement for either my Thomson or wife’s Reveb if they need servicing as it’s not worth selling.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Good to know. I think I will pass and wait for Reverb.
    I was actually thinking about it as I do not want another cable and control on the bars. Are there any other lever actuated models out there?

ocrider

A Joplin 4 that hasn’t been converted for a remote would be worth a punt.

ndthornton
    Free Member

£0 is still too expensive as I would have to dispose of the useless rubbish myself

wwaswas

CRC are knocking them out for about £80 currently.

AlexSimon

£80 is ok I reckon. When 2pure brought them in, they were great at servicing.
    I got 3 years out of my original Joplin (paid £120) with an annual service. It’s still in use on someone else’s bike.

I’d only get one with a remote though.

On the other hand. My reverb has been completely unserviced in 2 years and hasn’t missed a beat. For £169 I feel it has been better value.

amedias
    Free Member

I took a punt on one for £40, worked for a week or so, now all the air leaks out after about 20mins riding, nice while it works though 🙂

I replaced the valve, still does it so I’m assuming it’s an internal seal somewhere, not sure if I can be bothered to sort it…

On the other hand we have 3 KS posts in the house, and a Fox DOSS, the Fox has been faultless, 2 of the KS have been for a couple of years but now have about 10-15mm up and down movement that needs a service to fix, the other one broke in its first 2 months, but that was 4 years ago, it was fixed under warranty and has been perfect ever since.

honourablegeorge

uphillcursing – Member
    Good to know. I think I will pass and wait for Reverb.
    I was actually thinking about it as I do not want another cable and control on the bars. Are there any other lever actuated models out there?

Lever actuated droppers are missing the point, really. It’s got to be remote.

br
    Free Member

Are there any other lever actuated models out there?

I’ve an X-Fusion one and haven’t bothered with the cable. Works fine and once you’ve the knack, not that far off as easy as a remote-switch one plus easy to swap between bikes and/or remove for cleaning/servicing etc.

I’ll be getting a Reverb for my new bike though, just my old bike is 27.2.

Junkyard
    Free Member

No matter what folk say it is far easier to press a lever on a bar than it is to grab your crotch area whilst riding one handed over rough and unfamiliar terrain

YMMV but a lever is barely better than a QR IMHO

cynic-al
    Free Member

My 2 seemed to work OK with the occasional service once I drilled it to stop it sucking water in (Worst design ever!)

Junkyard – lazarus

No matter what folk say it is far easier to press a lever on a bar than it is to grab your crotch area whilst riding one handed over rough and unfamiliar terrain

YMMV but a lever is barely better than a QR IMHO

Yeah you need to be slow/steady to crotch grab before lowering it but I’d prefer to do that than have the faff etc of another cable & control on my bars.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Joplin 4- How cheap to be worth taking the risk’ is closed to new replies.