Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Joost Van Der Westhuizen
  • dannyh
    Free Member

Worthy of a thread in his own right, I think.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/feb/06/joost-van-der-westhuizen-obituary

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NSFSBwITH_s[/video]

Bear in mind he was stopping Jonah Lomu whilst nursing a broken rib.

As an abrasive, breaking scrum half, he was probably peerless. As a totem for successive South African sides he was priceless, and as an ambassador for the game – playing hard but fair – he is right up there. He would probably only miss out in an international all time XV to Gareth Edwards.

To see such an athlete taken by something as horrible as motor neurone disease is very, very sad.

RIP.

Kryton57

Blimey he was recovering yesterday, in was going to postba link in the Rugby thread.

RiP, great player.

dannyh
    Free Member

He was like a ninth forward in some respects, whilst being an amazing instinctive attacking back.

Definitely not one of the backs that the forwards would call a ‘girl’!

monde
    Free Member

Met him a number of times as friends of (one) of his ex-wives. The most competitive man I have ever met that came across as a total tool but was far from it once you got to know him.

Unbelievably focused on what he wanted in life and while playing rugby helped him do that and keep his demons at bay. It also made him the player he was.

A big bloke who held no fear and is still the definition of the ultimate scrum half in my eyes. RIP

Teetosugars
    Free Member

**In before the Cougar Ban hammer***
    Yup, top bloke, always great to watch.. Quite possibly the greatest to ever pull on the No. 9.
    Our country is in mourning.

novaswift
    Free Member

Very sad news. There’s a video on YouTube where Jonah Lomu visits him at home in SA. Very moving indeed

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Hard to believe that both he and Lomu are gone.

Truly great player and changed the No 9 position to what it is today.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Joost Van Der Westhuizen’ is closed to new replies.