• This topic has 47 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by gary.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Jones to go steel and Taiwanese
  • tang
    Free Member

http://www.dirtragmag.com/webrag/interbike-2010-day-1-outdoor-demo

Diamond frame and fork $750…could be of interest.

cynic-al
    Free Member

SELL.

OUT.

😡

Candodavid
    Free Member

Jones Spaceframe is still a gopping frame and truly not pleasant on the eye

tang
    Free Member

:lol:@cyn, is ti meant to be fundamental to the spaceframe idea?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

For $750 – I could be persuaded to add a Steel Jones 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is the diamond frame gonna be any different to the other steel frames out there (bar being the priciest Taiwanese frame)?

Stll think he’s cool for doing his own thing, would love to try one.

rOcKeTdOg

oh dear

tang
    Free Member

well you’d hope so. spacing seems to point toward fat wheel riding.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Cheaper handlebars too! 🙂

tang
    Free Member

i guess if you have a concept you believe in why not spread it further than the nicheistas. plus make some $ for your families future.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It will go out of niche fashion as more people own it.

Chainline
    Free Member

I have to say, irrationally, but some cycling is emotional, it will devalue the brand but make it more available, however I’m not sure it has that wide an appeal anyway, and that’s speaking as a ti space frame owner.

I’m sure the quality is there but the romance may disappear.

I have an email where I suggested to jeff he built an 853 space frame, couldn’t understand why not. He responded probably too heavy, different characteristics… 🙄

Rear spacing won’t allow a full fat rear wheel though, and 50mm rim is more than enough to spread a 2.55 or even a 3in tyre, 50mm fits easily now.

I have to admit it makes me a little sad, would be better if lynsky made it in my view but the cost is more palatable.

It will give the likes of black sheep and erikson etc. some marketing separation.

I’m glad I bagged a Merlin version!

gary

ooh … interesting.

Goes off to write out 1000 times “I don’t need another rigid 29er!”

miketually
    Free Member

The spaceframe ones are still going to be rather pricey and the diamond frame is rather similar (in looks, at least) to many other frames.

Jones frames were getting too common anyway 😉

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’d like to try a jones to see what they’re like. A steel version puts that within my reach.

pjt201
    Free Member

does this mean there’s going to be an even bigger jones pile at ssuk next year?

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

sorry I really don’t get it, why would I want to ride and expensive malshaped coathanger?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’d like to try a jones to see what they’re like. A steel version puts that within my reach.

Yup

miketually
    Free Member

sorry I really don’t get it, why would I want to ride and expensive malshaped coathanger?

Why not? They’re still prettier than most FS bikes.

bonesetter
    Free Member

For $750 you can go full custom…?

rootes1

not riden one and would like to to see what the fuss is about..

but that old adage… ‘it is looks right, it is right’

Jones’s do not look right complete.

frame looks ok, but forks do not

woodsman
    Free Member

That’s a shame, not the steel element, but the far east manufacture – it is a sell out.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Check out all the “leet nichewhores” going scurrying off to find something even more nicheworthy of their money.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

“I’m not buying something if its not made by a man in a shed with a beard”

vinnyeh

Check out all the “leet nichewhores” going scurrying off to find something even more nicheworthy of their money.

There you go, belt driven 36er.

Atomizer

Check out the nichewhorehaters getting all excited

I do like that 36er though…

dRjOn

at the risk of getting into a ‘forum-as-breeding-ground-for-stupidity’ discussion: $750 for full custom? err…id be pretty suprised if you could get worthwhile custom for that.

jeff has *always* wanted his ideas to be more widely available. he truly is egalitarian. he knows full well that the custom ti frames cost an incredible amount of money. the cost of the tubing and manipulation involved is staggering. yes: in a perfect world this would not be the case, but it is. therefore several potential solutions exist.

getting frames made in batches remains a sensible way to bring costs down, and increase availability. using steel vs ti increases that again.

as long as the steel frames stay true to the intent of the design its viable. infact working in steel given the current world financial climate and rarity of high quality ti tubing is probably a more important step: it is *probably* easier to work with steel to make the space frame/truss fork (anyone here ever cold set ti?) and the raw materials are relatively cheap. what you are paying for is the builder to make it – their time and effort. with ti, the only non-hideously-expensive ti is chinese or russian in origin and the quality control and alloying of this is often very questionable. there are VERY few builders who can manipulate high quality ti tubing effectively.

jeff isnt selling out, far from it. he is working hard to make his design work more available. the reason he is doing that is because he believes his designs are great fun to ride. I will second that. they are tremendous fun to ride…from the diamond frames in steel to the full custom ti. some have more than others but they are all good fun.

i can count on the fingers of one hand the *custom* builders who would be willing to make something akin to a jones steel diamond frame *at all*, let alone for the same cost. Getting 16.5″ stays on a 29er that can have a full spread of gears isnt easy. most builders dont build outside of the norm for good reason: its a risk to them. if it doesnt work, or the buyer doesnt pay, who loses?

what cost fun? well – now, for this particular brand of fun, its a little less…that is ALL GOOD.

hopefully, this doesnt come across as a tirade, or mindless support of one of the industries current clear thinkers.

tang
    Free Member

nice well constructed rant drjon, i agree, as in, why not spread it around to poorer folks. now more importantly how is that lush vertigo doing?

Chainline
    Free Member

Well put DRJon, and I agree on full custom for $750!!!

I agree with the wider availability and steel is a great material to do that with, which is why I was surprised when he said he wasn’t looking at it. Perhaps the demise of Merlin as a framebuildig option, the difficulty of finding someone in the US to produce batches and world economics meant necessity became the mother of invention and as a result steel space frame was born, if well manipulated and butted 853 or similar is used I can’t see it being materially heavier than the ti version either so fair play.

I hold firm on my romantic emotional attachment to stuff made by long established builders in the US or Europe, I am the person that still seeks out a carbon rad frame actually made in Italy, not because it’s better than Asian carbon, but because when I ride it it makes me ‘feel’ a certain way about my bike, which is important to me.

I now mostly want one of these…

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jpdmYe1c1-Y/SsYt8kdobQI/AAAAAAAAARg/Tlez7CYa3gk/s1600-h/twentynineinches+fat+back+retro.jpg

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

There is a certain beauty about the sweeping lines of the frame, but the fork is, as someone already said, gopping – looks like it should have a wicker basket and a fluffy white lhasa apso on the front.

Chainline
    Free Member

Never seen a shopping bike with a fork like that, a few vintage motorbikes spring to mind though:-)

chiefgrooveguru

Awesome! I keep coming across a fat front tyred Jeff Jones in the woods and it’s such a satisfying piece of engineering. Probably not right for my riding but I do like the simplicity of it.

MSP

Diamond frame for 750, that will make it my project for a bikepacking bike next spring.

singlespeedstu

I think it’s great that a few more people will be able to ride/own one of Jeffs designs.

Maybe some of the folks out there with their “it looks wrong to me” so must be shite attitude will be able to try one.

You never know some people might actualy like it after all. 😆

Oh and Al.

We’ll be up in Inners for a while soon. If i take my Jones with me you’re welcome to try it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers SSStu let me know when you are up – I’d assumed you’d be on a 8″ DH sled with full body armour for 7 Stanes?

singlespeedstu

I’d assumed you’d be on a 8″ DH sled with full body armour for 7 Stanes?

Mmmm maybe i can hire a gnarlsled. Would I have to ride it or could i just park it outside the hub with all the rest of the freemincers 😆

I prefer the rigidcorebike for your scottshoretrails. 😉

2008_0504scotchland080088 by stuartbrettle, on Flickr

MisterCrud
    Free Member

Well I have ridden one, and it rides as bad as the photo above suggests.
    Individualistic, but completely unsuitable for anything other than fire roads, where it performs rather well.

MisterCrud
    Free Member

test

singlespeedstu

Should I find a few more fire road pictures for you…

😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

Where is that SSS?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Jones to go steel and Taiwanese’ is closed to new replies.