Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Jones Ti truss vs Unicrown
  • john_l
    Free Member

Anyone tried both on a steel diamond frame & have an objective view? In

Gotama
    Free Member

I had the unicrown on a diamond and a truss on my new spaceframe. The unicrown is a great fork, far better than other rigid steel forks I’ve ridden but for me and my riding the truss is noticeably better. It basically comes down to stiffness, the unicrown is pretty stout but the truss doesn’t flex at all. I find the stiffer fork beneficial when riding quickly over relatively rough terrain ie going quickly over braking bumps into corners or over rooty sections. It’s also better when riding down steeper trails where you’re relatively hard on the front brake, again down to the lack of flex. The fork seems to skip across the bumps and gives a huge amount of confidence.

Having now owned both styles of Jones frames I prefer the spaceframe but would also be quite happy with the diamond, however, I would definitely put the truss fork on whichever frame I had.

john_l
    Free Member

Thanks. Is your truss ti or steel? I’m also interested in the weight saving. Not that the unicrown “feels” heavy.

jameso

Not ridden the unicrown, but the truss is an amazing fork, a big part of the Jones ride I think. I think the best vfm, weight, ride etc combo may be the steel diamond with the ti truss. Yet when I took the ti truss off my steel diamond Jones and put the steel truss back on, all I noticed was a bit of weight, only for about 20 mins. Ride-wise it’s so similar.
    If I only rode the steel diamond/truss combo from now on I’d still be a happy rider.

Gotama
    Free Member

Sorry, missed the Ti bit of your title. Mine is a steel truss. At the time my options were to get the Ti truss for my diamond or sell the diamond and go full spaceframe, I chose the latter.

john_l
    Free Member

Thanks, all good feedback.

Is there much difference in stack height using the truss? I’ve probably only got about 25-30mm of spacers on top of my Unicrown at the moment as I like a relatively low position.

tazzymtb

Have owned and ridden a steel uni steel truss and ti truss, to be honest there is very litrle difference in feel between the steel and ti truss (other than a lighter front end, but jones are dead easly to get the front up anyway) there is a very noticable differnce between the uni and truss, not a bad thing, but they do give very different ridea and the truss is miles stiffer on the fore/aft which is great as there is no fork flutter or strange behaviour whem you are hopping and pipping over big rocks or generally looning around.

tazzymtb

Scuse bad typo..phone and fire roaf txt

john_l
    Free Member

🙂

What about stack height & headset shenanigans?

jameso

Is there much difference in stack height using the truss?

The upper clamp of the truss is 30mm. You’ll be OK.
    But low positions and the Jones are an odd mix – I had mine set quite low when I fist got it, it felt higher than my previous HT but OK. As I’ve got to grips with the fit/ride (maybe 6 months to a year in total) the front has come up ~15mm maybe a bit more, and it feels great. Adjusting your cornering technique as you get used to it negates any need for a lower front I think.

john_l
    Free Member

Interesting. Maybe a longer stem’s worth a try.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Jones Ti truss vs Unicrown’ is closed to new replies.