Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Jones Plus – Anyone got one?
  • letmetalktomark

As above.

Interested in thoughts good and bad 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

No. But it looks hella cool.

🙂

Clink

I had a brief spin on a mate’s the other day and was left impressed. It felt very nimble and composed. I’d like to know people’s thoughts who have ridden a Krampus and/or Longitude to compare. I’d be tempted if it wasn’t so expensive (frame plus specific front hub etc).

gil_

Came from a Krampus, initially the Krampus was fun but then I went back to other 29+ front ended bike the Krampus began to feel less playful, great for rolling over stuff but somehow not the spark of the + fronted bikes…It went
    I already had a Jones Diamond and knew how playful they could be, the plus would make sense and they only way to find out how they rode was buy one, I was sceptical, the Diamond was sold
    After 10 days of back to back trail riding I can say the Plus is everything I hoped for, + wheels can hammer over anything, frame is still “playful” even with the longer wheelbase and so stable at speed. Only immediate comment is the Rabbit Hole wheels feel a bit heavy, will be going with Carbon 40mm rims and running it tubeless shortly
    I’m in North Yorkshire if your keen for a test ride (24″) and I’m 6′ 4″

Clink

I’m in North Yorkshire if your keen for a test ride (24″) and I’m 6′ 4″

What’s the smallest size for the 24 then?

letmetalktomark

@ Gil – I would have expected you would have the 25” being as tall as you are. Clearly not the case – how come?

gil_

Personally feel the 25″ is more a bikepacking machine, more frame bag room and slightly more upright with the long head tube, however I haven’t ridden one so shouldn’t assume
    I still have a 23″ Diamond and didn’t want to have too bigger “leap” beyond the longer wheelbase and that’s what the 24″ plus has given me 🙂
    At one point I was even going to try a Medium Krampus,I like small frames they are far more fun

ajantom

Funnily, i would class my medium Krampus as playful. I’m 6ft with pretty average inside leg and reach. I think it’s worth going a bit smaller on a 29+ bike as you don’t want to feel too perched on the bike due to the wheel size.
    I’ve played around a lot with stems and bars – initially a 90mm/10 degree stem with fleegle bars, whichvwas hoid for XC, but felt a bitbodx on twisty singletrack. Then a 55mm stem and 740 risers, and then a really high rise stem (30 degree and 75mm long) with the fleegle bars. This was good for all dayers. Finally I’ve settled on a 60mm stem On-One OG bars. Good sweep for the wrists, a bit of rise, and shorter stem for faster handling. Feels good on everything 🙂

gil_

ajantom ~ out of interest have you ridden a Jones or other 29+ based bike?

Certainly not a “one-up” comment, just interested in different feedback 🙂

Naranjada
    Free Member

I had a Krampus in large, I’m 6’2″.

The Krampus was fun to ride but something about the riding position meant I could only get along with it on relatively smooth trails, which are in short supply in The Peak. It felt to me to be a bit head down arse up. I should probably have had the XL. Anyway, I sold it.

I now have a 24″ Plus and it’s THE most comfortable bike I have ever ridden, I’ve got 30mm of spacers under a 0 deg rise 90mm stem and carbon H/Loop 710s and I have a Thomson layback post. The riding position is quite upright but I really like it. I’ve got the eccentric BB in the 6 o clock position and have 175mm cranks but I get some pedal strike on rocky steppy climbs and in ruts so I’ll swap it to 9 o clock and see how I get on. I guess the low BB setting explains the bike’s unerring stability, it’s rock solid albeit nimble at the same time. I love how it feels and looks. It wheelies really well – it’s so long it’s impossible to flip 🙂

However I am disappoint at the Dually / Dirt Wizard combo being impossible to setup tubeless with a floor pump. When I get time I’ll try inflating with a tube in and then remove it carefully to leave one tyre bead locked in, before converting to tubeless valve and presto hey! I hope it goes up. I’ve not had any similar problems with setting up Stans rims.tubeless. I know some people advise a strip of tape just inboard of the rim’s inner edge which I assume is to stop the tyre bead sliding into the V of the rim before inflation – I think this is the problem I’m having when trying to setup; I don’t want to have to do this, and I shouldn’t have to either, the rims and tyres are tubeless ready. Maybe I need a compressor. Maybe I need Maxxis tyres. I really do need a tubeless setup as I’m getting pinch flats even with the tyres inflated to what I consider a too-firm setting.

Anyway, get yersen a blue one 🙂

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Steve Makin has one..
    I think?

fin25
    Free Member

Naranjada, Get at least two layers of tape edge to edge in the rim. I had a similar issue, even a compressor wouldn’t get the bead to seat until I put loads of tape round the full width of the rim, then it went up easy with just a floor pump.

martinh
    Free Member

I’m 6′ 4″ with a 25″ Plus. Spent a long time talking to Jeff about 24 vs 25 and am very happy with the 25. I was concerned that as gil said, that it was meant for carrying more stuff. But its not, its meant for going faster. As an existing Jones owner and 29+ dabbler it rides exactly as I’d hoped. I’m still getting used to just how fast this bike can go and still be confidence inspiring.

Currently running a 70mm stem with Hbars but want try something a little shorter. I run no spacers under the stem. Currently running Chronicles on Light Bicycle rims.

gil_

Think it’s the rabbit holes that are holding it back…

I’ve carbon on my other 29″ers, the RH rims were just a stop gap and will be changed soon to a 40mm Carbon Dually style

martinh
    Free Member

Clink, I went with the Hope Fatsno front hub rather than the more expensive Jones one

Clink

Ta martin

vorlich
    Free Member

Yup, running a fatsno on my unicrown, just make sure you go for the FDS model.

FWIW the Salsa/Formula hub from my Mukluk/Bearpaw fork also fits.

BigDummy
    Free Member

HOWS DOES THIS THREAD NOT HAVE ANY PICTURES ALREADY DAMMIT???!!!!!!

😀

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

PICTURES!

The Hope fatsnow hub is fantastic. Much better than the awful Paul offerings.

How does the Plus compare to a Jones 29er running a fat front? Do you plus riders run fat fronts?

If your running a 710 bar with a 70mm stem, your hands will be behind the stem. I used to have a70mm stem with my much narrower original H bar, – Jef advised me to swap it for a 90mm stem. I ignored his advise for a couple of years, when I made the change, it made a big difference to cornering traction in the twisty single track.

timbur
    Free Member

The 29+ Truss is a thru axle isn’t it?
    Is the Fatsnow convertable? I guess it must be being Hope and all.
    The 25” one I built was MASSIVE. The 24” in blue was really lovely.
    Just getting over the grins a Phat front on my Diamond has given me in the singletrack this year. It’s so bloody planted and fast albeit when you stop loking down at it you forget it there as it’s not draggy on the climbs.

gil_

Only ever run a 3″ tyre on the front of the Plus or Diamond, always felt the 4″ tyre would be overkill, guess it’s another option

And you wanted a photo 😉

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Blue looks fantastic, best colour.

Try fat front – it’s a blast!!

Carbon rims are very worthwhile upgrade.

martinh
    Free Member

Yes the Fatsno can take a thru-axle. Like most Hope hubs it has various switchable endcaps which is lucky as the Plus wants a 142×15 not a 135×15.

Not really had the urge to put a Fat Front on the Plus as it would lower and marginally steepen it. I’ve run a 29+ on my Spaceframe (can’t run fat, old truss fork) and while it smooths out some of the trail the rest of the bike is so different. It’s not an easy comparison.

I’ve not found any problems with traction running a 70mm stem and 710s. I run a 90 with narrow bars on my Spaceframe and that feels right too.

peanut
    Free Member

For me, I love the Diamond 29er with a 5″ Bud up front, but I find the Plus rides much nicer with the ‘standard’ 3″ tyre (Chronicle on Dually). The 29er is more nimble but the very slight lack of nimbleness of the Plus is not a big deal for me especially given its innate stability and comfort.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Jones Plus – Anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.