Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Jones H bars – any users?
  • MikeT-23
    Free Member

Considering a set of these to put on a multi-use bike that is marketed with drop bars because I have decided that I really don’t dig using drop bars for any distances above five or six miles.

Aesthetically, the H bars are ‘challenging’, but the logic behind the design seems sound enough and the reviews I’ve seen seem favourable.

I’d appreciate the opinions of anyone on here who has used them.

Cheers.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

To be more specific, is there positive experience of the ‘Loop’ model of the H bars?

Gotama
    Free Member

Great bars. Very comfortable despite the oddball looks. You do actually use the various hand options, or at least I did when I had loops. Only downside for me is that I find the 660mm a bit narrow so just waiting for the 710mm version to find its way to these shores. Expensive but brilliant, as with everything else Jeff produces.

I would be tempted by the full loop on a bike which will be used on road sections. If you’re taping the section the stem clamps you could feasibly rest your forearms on there and hold the front loop for aero when doing long ish drags into the wind.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    flashes
    Free Member

I couldn’t get on with them. Gone back to Mary bars on some of the bikes and wide, slight riser bars with bar ends on the fixed 29er and the Fatbike. Happy..

ton

had 710mm on my tourer for the last 2 years. suffered from very sore wrists with any other bars than these or Mary’s. but Mary’s are too narrow.
    I was gonna sell mine because they looked odd, but they are soooo comfy mated with esi grips.
    looking for a 2nd set for my parkwood. might bite the bullet and buy some new ones.

scotroutes

I’ve used Loops on the fatbike. Got on OK with them and they are great for bikepacking and doing longer distances. I replaced them with normal “flats” to try a back-to-back comparison and then left those on. I found the Loops were better for lower-speed handling – in fact they make such a difference in slidy, snowy conditions that I put them back on for last winter. I’ll likely make the same change again this year.

I’ve not yet tried them on the 29er. I must get around to that too.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Thanks, Gotama. I reckon I would be dealing with longish sections of road or path, and the option for a bit of aero-style would be welcome for variety/rest.
    How long did you use them for, and any idea when 710s will come to the UK?

Retrodirect
    Free Member

I had a set of Titec J-bars.

how good are they? It depends.

Fantastic for long distance stuff, really comfortable and being able to stretch forward into them is great.

But I sold mine. I was using them for blasts in the woods, pumping jumping and sliding around in the mud. For that sort of riding they just don’t give you as much control. Atleast not on a normal mountainbike, I tried some on a jones-frame and they really suited the super-light steering on one of those. but on a standard mtb, no!

MikeT-23
    Free Member

In fact, thanks to all so far.

My style of riding, I have to admit, is pretty low-speed. Plus, I’m making the consideration to get the bars for a rigid 29er I have an option on acquiring. So, from what has generally been said, I may have seen my future!

Gotama
    Free Member

Loop in 710mm is available now. The H cut should be available shortly as they’ve just landed with Jeff in the US based on his blog. If you’re not after the wider 710mm version and wantthe more traditional bend bar for your 29er as well as the loop for your roadie then I will be selling my 660mm bend bar version when the 710mm land. Drop me an email if interested.

I might add the 660mm is pretty much fine but when it gets rough and fast or for going over jumps at 6ft 3 i’m just after a bit more width. Been riding the narrower ones for the last year and a half so it could just be emperors new clothes but hey ho!

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer, Gotama. If I end up getting the bike I’ll give you a shout to see if you still have it, but I may opt for 710s from the get-go. Better to have the width and not need it than need it and not have it!

BillOddie

The Bend bars now come in 710mm for a slightly more budget gfriendly option.

They are priced at $85 on the Jones site, same as the 660mm.
    You can change the $ to a £ once they get over here.

LoCo
    Free Member

Mark Deacon from the loco team (worlds 3rd best ss rider (TM) (wembo)) 😉

Uses the loops and loves them, has given mer his old mary bars to play with on my 29er ht to see if i get on with them.

singlespeedstu

The loop and h are the same shape and offer the same hand positions.
    The loop is better if you want to mount gear levers on there as there’s room for them in the right place.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/8ZPYQ5]2010_1210newandold0002[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

I’ve had them on several different bikes but now only use them on my Jones.
    The left really odd on anything with a suss fork on.
    Better on rigid bikes, but seem to work best with the Jones goe and seating position.

jameso

I reckon I would be dealing with longish sections of road or path, and the option for a bit of aero-style would be welcome for variety/rest.

Brilliant bars for that sort of thing. I find them better than a std bar in the tech on a rigid bike, but prefer a wide riser/flat for faster full-suss sort of riding. Loops are good for general use, bikepacking etc, big fan of the original Hs for SSing but less so for mounting shifters on.
    Never wanted any of them wider than the 660s I have though, the useful variation in position for me is there already and brake lever size + position dictates the useable range. I like how they make a less-wide bar feel so stable, that’s the beauty of the shape imo (if ‘beauty’ is the right word)

yunki
    Free Member

I haven’t used the Jones bar, but have very much enjoyed using other backswept bars..

That picture of the crazed looking dude getting some air in a race somewhere with Mary bars made me want to try it..
    The hand position definitely seemed to bring out the crazed dude in me, and my riding improved as a result

scotroutes

Anyone using them in conjunction with front suspension?

LoCo
    Free Member

Yep Mark is, with a set of 100mm forks on a Pivot Les.

vorlich
    Free Member

I’ve had loops for a while. It’s seemed like a logical progression from the Mary bars I initially used on my Scandal for bikepacking and found them to be very good. Comfy and great for strapping stuff to.

I then bought Gotama’s *waves* diamond frame off him and stuck them on that when I built it up. They make most sense when coupled with the Jones geometry. Great for hauling on and brilliant for out the saddle climbs, (if only I could maintain a decent level of fitness).

I haven’t found the narrower version to be problematic for battering down lumpy descents. Running a fat front inspires a ton of confidence and I’ve not found the bars to be a limit on that at all.

djflexure

Have the Bend H on a 29er, rigid ss and I really like them. Very natural hand position. Mary’s were nowhere near as good for me. The position was too in-between. I use the standard size and they seem perfect.

With suspension I ride with ergon grips + integral bar ends, which I realised achieves a similar sort of position when using the bar ends.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

How about stem issues?

I read that Jones himself recommends a shorter stem as the bars offer that forward reach (if needed) by their design. Anyone going ‘out there’ with a longer one?

scotroutes

I’ve lined up the Loops over my standard (minimally swept) flats and my hands are in almost exactly the same place.

timbur
    Free Member

The original H bars and Titec Js I really like.
    Tried a set of Loops and didn’t get on with them. The forward sweep threw me a bit.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Jones H bars – any users?’ is closed to new replies.