Viewing 21 posts - 121 through 141 (of 141 total)
  • jones bikes and bars ..really something particularly special or just different?
  • pop-larkin
    Free Member

The newer ti bars don’t have a shim- i’ve got some and I would be hard pushed to notice in difference in riding but they are a bit lighter and look more shinier

stu170
    Free Member

Never seen a Jones in the flesh, love the look in photos, and looking at these I’ve got a question, don’t know much about them, but how do you remove the fork? Say for headset service and change, seems to me they can’t be removed, am I missing something (chances are high)

RustySpanner

Tazzy, thanks for that.
    I think.
    🙂

For sale, one kidney, resembles used tea bag…..

singlespeedstu

how do you remove the fork

Undo three bolts and slide the steerer tube out.

stu170
    Free Member

Cheers Stu, makes a hell of a lot of sense now. Now to find one local to have a ride on,

singlespeedstu

where about are you?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Mine set up in full muddy ride / winter mode

My god even if I say so myself, that mud guard is a eye sore

trail_rat
    Free Member

You won’t need a mudguard wjth that rear tire.

rOcKeTdOg

Mudguard is unoticible next to that tangle of Ti tubes 😉

singlespeedstu

Do fireroads ever get that muddy?

stu170
    Free Member

North Norfolk stu

singlespeedstu

Not much use then. If you were more Midlands you could have had a spin on mine as it doesn’t get much use any more.

bonesetter
    Free Member

What’s the main reason for that Stu?

singlespeedstu

What’s the main reason for that Stu?

Rigid bikes really aren’t that much fun on an uplift bus. 😉

Blatant plug.
    The Loop bar that a few of you emailed me about is up in the FS section.

dRjOn

if it helps anyone who is pondering trying a demo out, if you like messing around in the woods on a bike, a Jones may well be the perfect bike.

it can, of course, be ridden anywhere to do anything – just like any bike. no, it wont let you conquer an enduro or get the most out of the fall line trail at ski hills, but if you want to wind yourself round woodsy trails, Jeff knows a thing or two about getting your weight balanced between the wheels in such a way that you are relaxed and poised, primed to try and take those twists and turns and ups and downs with confidence.

Yes, it is rigid, and that is a *good* thing in certain scenarios. You have to be going at a fair rate to get the adrenalin flowing with 5+ inches of travel on demand, but the sh!t eating grin that is produced when you make a simple bike fly through a tight trail is attainable without going to a trail centre or the back country.

Truss forks are stiffer fore-aft. the thing about that is later braking (as long as you have traction) and more precision in higher amplitude rocky or rooty trail.

The Jones bars, if you suit the 45 degree sweep (and it can take a little time to adapt) feed into the ability to move your weight around with an 80-90mm stem you can have your hands in line with the steerer or much further forward with ease. on steeps that helps a bunch.

Ok…my thoughts, or some of them at least….

bonesetter
    Free Member

Yes, it is rigid, and that is a *good* thing in certain scenarios. You have to be going at a fair rate to get the adrenalin flowing with 5+ inches of travel on demand, but the sh!t eating grin that is produced when you make a simple bike fly through a tight trail is attainable without going to a trail centre or the back country.

I think you’ve nailed it there DJ. Always like seeing your bikes – what front tyre rim combo is on the JJ above?

dRjOn

thanks!
    its a hodag 27.5×3.8 (~90mm ish wide) on a nextie junglefox 2 45mm internal rim. the rear is the same rim, and an Ikon plus. its a great combo for this bike….though my eye is on the Minion FBF 27.5×3.8…

bonesetter
    Free Member

Hmm… thought it might be something a little exotic 🙂 Nice

biff

A test ride (with an open mind) is the recommended course of action for the Jones curious.
    Happy to sort out all I can – I’m emailable. Enjoying the posts here – good conversation.

lotto
    Free Member

Anyone one using their Plus (Boost) for road rides/touring? On WTB Scrapers (45mm) I’m guessing not many road biased tyres. What is your other rim/hub combo and what tyres do you run?

dovebiker

Been running some Loop bars on my rigid fat bike for nearly 2 years – I actually don’t have a problem climbing with them. Keeps my weight centred between the wheel and simply use body-weight to drive through the pedals so a bit less tiring on really long rides.

Viewing 21 posts - 121 through 141 (of 141 total)

The topic ‘jones bikes and bars ..really something particularly special or just different?’ is closed to new replies.