Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Jonathon Legard is toast
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Lost his job to a certain scottish ex F1 driver

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9355081.stm

thepurist

Saw legard’s confirmation on twitter this morning. Even if DC is a drab, dull, red bull PR machine it’s still going to better than unobservant, unemotional, error prone commentary from a geography teacher.

uplink
    Free Member

It’s been rumoured for long enough

It’s not the best option IMO
    oh well, I’ll stick with the radio commentary I guess

bristolbiker
    Free Member

It’s not the best option IMO

Yeah, the Croft/Davidson/Chandhok triple-headed-monster has been very good on the BBC practise coverage.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Good god, I will not be able to handle F1 in the future then.

Martin Brundle is the most soul crushingly dull commentator around

thepurist

Crofty & Ant (& Chandhok) are certainly going to be a tough act to beat, but I think MB is that tiny bit more authoritative on the nitty gritty than Ant, so it worth putting up with legards droning for the odd gem he could throw in.

Nothing on who’s doing the R5 pit lane job to replace Holly yet?

richmtb

Legard was just awful though, so bad I actually wanted James Allen back.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Martin Brundle is the most soul crushingly dull commentator around

+1. Mediocre F1 driver who’s wormed his way into commentary mainly due to his connections it seems. H’s Coulthard’s manager isn’t he? Don’t like him. Legard at least has commentary skills.

Murray Walker made loads of mistakes, and seemed utterly clueless at times, yet people loved him. 😕

So we’ve got Brundle and Coulthard as the commentary team? I hope to God the racing’s exciting next year, cos the commentary will be beyond dull.

uplink
    Free Member

I hope to God the racing’s exciting next year, cos the commentary will be beyond dull.

Do what I do Fred – mute the TV & listen to R5 for the commentary

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

That’s a good idea you know. I will do just that.

TBH I only watch the actual race itself. I find the hour of build up utterly boring and a complete waste of time. 5 mins beforehand, bit of background about qualifying, latest news and that, but not an hour of boring filler, and Eddie Jordan talking rubbish.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Eddie Jordan talking rubbish

Not to mention the eye-bleedingly bad fashion sense

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ooh, how many times have I wished DC would just snap and give EJ a proper kicking, shut him up.

Now that would be entertaining.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

That’s part of your fantasy F1 isn’t it!

robdob
    Free Member

I have watched F1 now for maybe nearly 30 years ish. Murray Walker was great because he loved F1. He was a very successful man in advertising and didn’t do it for the money, it was just because he had a passion for it. That always came out in his commentary which was exciting and fast. Not always 100% accurate but he knew his stuff all right.
    I quite like Martin Brundle. Ok his voice maybe not exciting but he really knows his stuff and can get it accrues in a simple way anyone can understand. As far as him being a “mediocre” F1 driver, well he did ok and has raced countless types of cars with good success so is well placed to give a good drivers perspective.
    Legard – didn’t dislike or like him, won’t be fussed about him leaving really.
    I think Brundle needs to be paired with an exciting commentator, someone who will put the effort in and show the excitement. Coulthard might be ok but I think that pairing might end up being a bit dull. Now Coulthard and Jordan – that would be ACE! They’d be kicking off at every race!!
    I think the pre race build up is good and reasonably interesting – sometimes better than the race itself (especially the non Europe race tracks – yawn apart from Brazil or Australia). I think Jake Humphries has been fantastic and controls Coulthard and Jordan like they are in a play group. Always good.
    Maybe the big problem is that if the races are not exciting then the commentary will be a mirror of that. Who couldn’t get excited like Walker during the 80’s. Last season was great but if it turns dull again (let’s hope not) then there won’t be anything for the commentators to be excited about.

Now – touring cars and rallycross – they need to be brought back to BBC straight away – never a dull moment!!

robdob
    Free Member

Ooh, how many times have I wished DC would just snap and give EJ a proper kicking, shut him up.

I think EJ might win, he’s probably got that rabid terrier like fighting style (his hair like like it!!) and would play dirty but DC’s only move would be a headbutt and I’m not sure he could bend down that far. EJ would just nom on his gentlemans area like a beartrap and the fight would be over. 😉

popstar
    Free Member

IMO J Legart is the right retard. Good move by beeb to ditch him. Nigel Mansell, Eddie Irvine coupled with DC n EJ and Brundle would make a good tok show.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Jonathon Legard is toast’ is closed to new replies.