Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Jonathan Tiernan-Locke – 2 year ban
  • wwaswas

Obviously whatever explanation he had wasn’t accepted – banned until 31/12/2015.

Also loses his Tour of Britain title.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sad to see. Curious that the ban announced with no detail.

crazy-legs

Source?

atlaz
    Free Member

I think he was instructed to explain away the anomalies so they probably think that him failing to explain is obvious enough

wwaswas
    brooess
    Free Member

🙁

mrblobby
    Free Member

I think he was instructed to explain away the anomalies so they probably think that him failing to explain is obvious enough

Was there ever an explanation as to what the anomalies were and what the suspected cause is?

njee20
    Free Member

Oof, shame. Weird there’s not been more about exactly what it was he’s supposed to have done/taken.

martinhutch

Nope. Hard to explain away haematalogical anomalies (if indeed that’s what it is) after a gap of well over a year, though.

All you can say is ‘I didn’t do anything outside the rules’, and that’s never going to work if the scientists are insistent you couldn’t have achieved those values without blood doping, or whatever.

Can’t imagine any system looking for nuanced changes in natural metabolism will be without false positives (without suggesting that JTL is one of these), and there is no viable defence you can put forward in those circumstances.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Oof, shame. Weird there’s not been more about exactly what it was he’s supposed to have done/taken.

Is this not part of the new UCI approach to announcing these things – see also the Menchov controversy?

mogrim

there is no viable defence you can put forward in those circumstances.

You could always blame it on the steak you had for dinner, I suppose.

martinhutch

You could always blame it on the steak you had for dinner, I suppose.

Don’t think that worked too well as an excuse for Bertie, did it?

tsurani
    Free Member

From what I read he basically said that the training and type of racing he was doing when at Endura worked perfectly for him. Then the change in training program, type of racing and the role he played in races at Sky didn’t work for him which lead to exhaustion and persistent illness. The exhaustion and persistent illness was the reason he gave for the change in the values they found.

ratherbeintobago

From what I read he basically said that the training and type of racing he was doing when at Endura worked perfectly for him. Then the change in training program, type of racing and the role he played in races at Sky didn’t work for him which lead to exhaustion and persistent illness. The exhaustion and persistent illness was the reason he gave for the change in the values they found.

Or alternatively, he was doping on Endura, and when he moved to Sky (with presumably a more rigorous sports medicine regime) he had to stop?

tsurani
    Free Member

When he was at Endura he didn’t have to do the bio passport thing either, only pro tour teams do it.
    He only did it when he won TOB from what I can remember so if he didn’t win that race he would have probably got away with it

martinhutch

Or alternatively, he was doping on Endura, and when he moved to Sky (with presumably a more rigorous sports medicine regime) he had to stop?

And therein lies the problem. Do the scientists know enough about individual physiology and have a long enough period baseline period to dismiss the non-doping explanation? The verdict suggests they are adamant they do.

I just don’t know what defence you could possibly put up against a biological passport anomaly. It will be interesting to see whether, as the data comes in over the years, there will be individuals whose values are legitimate, but trigger the alarms anyhow.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Quite a good article over at inrng a while ago about how the biological passport process works.

And what happened to the Haeno case? Was his BP ever flagged as anomalous or was that Sky just being ultra cautious?

timb34
    Free Member

Sergio Henao? Sky did a load of tests and said all was OK, and the anomalies were due to living at altitude (or being Colombian or something)

Then he broke his knee in a crash whilst pre-riding the TT at the Tour de Suisse.

midlifecrashes

/Tinfoilhat

Or alternatively, he was doping on Endura, and when he moved to Sky (with presumably a more rigorous expensive sports medicine regime) he had to stop? used the new stuff which doesn’t get detected?

ratherbeintobago

Or alternatively, he was doping on Endura, and when he moved to Sky (with presumably a more rigorous expensive sports medicine regime) he had to stop? used the new stuff which doesn’t get detected?

Isn’t that rather the point of the biological passport, that it picks up the physiological changes consisted with doping without there needing to be a positive test?

Also, wasn’t Endura not of a high enough level for the riders to be subject to the passport?

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

That doesn’t make a great deal of sense given he rode really well with Endura, then really badly once he joined Sky, if Sky have a big pillbox marked ‘marginal gains’ I would expect he would be as least as good as when he was with Endura, as it was he was a total bust for Sky even before the charges.

gary

Isn’t that rather the point of the biological passport, that it picks up the physiological changes consisted with doping without there needing to be a positive test?

It is. And one assumes they have set their limits in such a way that they can be fairly confident in their assessments. But its not exactly simple science, and all the data they are collecting from tests on athletes in the system is, arguably, biased towards that population.

No idea how much “neutral” baseline data they also have access to, but I wouldn’t be surprised to find that some people who have done nothing wrong appear to be doping by the current understanding of the data. And if you were asked what you had been doing 12 months ago that might have caused odd blood values, what would you say?

So, great to collect the data, but lets not pretend it is the end of all doping, or impossible to reasonably challenge the results. Hopefully the safeguards with multiple experts etc mean that the chances of false positives are slim

Also, wasn’t Endura not of a high enough level for the riders to be subject to the passport?

No.

midlifecrashes

It was only a tinfoil hat speaking, but let’s suppose someone has a big medicine cabinet full of Marginal Gains, would anyone care to speculate what might be in it these days. Assuming Old School was amphetamines and steroids, 90s Acid House doping was Testosterone, HGH and EPO, what would be current? There was chatter about GW1516 and AICAR, and every athlete seems to have a skinny six pack these days. If I wanted to juice up, where would I start?

metalheart
    Free Member

Midlife: start on The Clinic in the cyclingnews forums, there’s speculation on just about everything (and everyone) in there….

speckledbob
    Free Member

I was wondering about this recently. They must be fairly convinced as they’ve given him 2 years. Be nice to know the details though.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Isn’t two years the standard penalty for a violation? I didn’t think there was a sliding scale based on a degree of certainty or any leeway to give a lesser penalty?

dooge
    Free Member

Shame, I dont believe it to be true as I have met him (rode with him once or twice years ago when he was a mountain biker) and I know his brother, Alex, a little better. They are a decent family and I can definitely say hes a hard worker and all round nice guy. Saying that, Armstrong was a ‘nice’ guy…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Armstrong was a ‘nice’ guy…

Possibly, if you are referring to the bloke who walked on the moon. If the cyclist then he most certainly was not!

metalheart
    Free Member

From what I’ve read, dopers are not work shy! Infact, it’s the drugs that allow them to go out day after day and batter themselves when non-dopers are physically crushed by a similar workload.

simmy
    Free Member

I never really warmed to the guy when he won Tour of Britain in 2012, there just seemed something about him but I’d like to think he innocent.

Sky posted a pic the other day and his name was still on the side of the Deathstar so they had better get the hair dryer out.

Being a bit nieve to all these UCI regs, is this basically the end of JTL’s professional career ?

DanW
    Free Member

Curious that the ban announced with no detail.

Yes, also Menchov too.

Interesting there are only 4 bans on the UCI currently banned list for “Biological Passport Finding” (Barredo, Leif, Menchov, Tiernan-Locke). I don’t think it is ever likely we’ll ever hear what was going on with JTL and there will remain a vague “Biological Passport Finding” against his name with no further information due to the complexities of interpreting the data…

Is this not part of the new UCI approach to announcing these things – see also the Menchov controversy?

I think Menchov falls in to the complexities of the biological passport so there won’t ever be a definitive reason for a ban.

The UCI are not obliged to publish the name of any riders serving bans IIRC, it is up to the governing body in the nation where the rider is registered (of course most will name and shame for transparency although there are cases of 2 year knee injuries etc which raise suspicion)…

DanW
    Free Member

They must be fairly convinced as they’ve given him 2 years

All 4 bans for “Biological Passport Finding” (Barredo, Leif, Menchov, Tiernan-Locke) are for 2 years- looks like some standard time period for a “Biological Passport Finding”

atlaz
    Free Member

Being a bit nieve to all these UCI regs, is this basically the end of JTL’s professional career ?

Certainly he’ll never ride for British Cycling nor Sky again. If he rides again it will be for a lower tier team as I’m not sure how much weight his old successes will carry now. As mentioned, he’s ebayed all his Sky and BC kit already.

mrblobby
    Free Member

He’d fit right in at Astana or Tinkoff-Saxo.

mudshark
    Free Member

We won’t hear much from him again – so different to where the Yates brothers are going.

I haven’t seen anything about Ebaying his kit – linky? Had a quick look and see Edmondson is selling his.

matt_outandabout

I used to work with someone who was British Olympic athlete, and who’s husband is now coach to a high profile Olympian.
    When slalom skier Alan Smith was ‘caught’ and pleaded change of training, illness combined with a nasal spray, my friend was somewhat clear.
    Her view was something like ‘you are either very stupid, or you are hiding something – and you don’t become an elite athlete by being stupid…’

atlaz
    Free Member

Given pharmacies here even know what stuff is banned by WADA, I’m often surprised how often athletes plead ignorance.

titusrider
    Free Member

Real shame, almost certainly the end of his career, he was a late starter as it was.

I won a competition and rode with him when he was on rapha-condor. Came across as a really solid guy and wanted him to do well. when I met him he came across as a very old skool rider in terms of training and tech approach so I couldn’t really see him getting into the ‘science of marginal gains’, just ride fast until it got dark and do the same the next day kind of thing.

Funny how you see these things when you are colored by just a short meeting with him isn’t it 🙁

mudshark
    Free Member

Looks like Tiernan Locke Ebayed his kit earlier in the year.

Not sure all elite athletes aren’t stupid – I’ve seen football.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Jonathan Tiernan-Locke – 2 year ban’ is closed to new replies.