• This topic has 17 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by llama.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell…..
  • codybrennan
    Free Member

I’m a huge fan of the book, and the trailers on the Beeb look promising. Will they do the book justice?

iolo
    Free Member

Until you see them how can you answer that question?

Cougar
    muddydwarf
    Free Member

Hmm, ive just started the book on kindle (sample download) and so far its not really gripping me – not really a fan of that style of prose I’m afraid.

CountZero

I bought the hardcover, and I really struggled with it for some reason, I don’t think I got past chapter four or five, in fact I’m not even sure where the book is.
    Shame, because I do like well crafted fantasy; I love Kate Griffin’s books, and the new ones she’s writing as Claire North.
    She also wrote a bunch of YA books under her real name of Catherine Webb, which I really like as well. I just don’t know why Strange & Norell didn’t engage me.
    The TV series does look interesting, though; I’ll be watching it, and maybe it’ll encourage me to go back to the book.
    If I can find the damn thing!

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

Great book so I’m really looking forward to this. It looks very well cast.

spacemonkey

Bought it for the missus when it first came out 10 yrs or so ago. She, a prolific reader, found it incredibly dull and only persevered to the end out of habit. I then had a go and gave up about 50 pages in. Rich, colourful ideas spoiled by turgid prose and unnecessary padding.

Can see it being brought to life rather well on the screen though.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Apart from jaaaaaaaaam, you lot are a huge disappointment to me tonight 🙂

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Great book and even better on audiobook, one of those where I’m hoping they don’t bollocks it up.

(Yes that’s right people who did the Pratchett TV adaptation, I’m looking at you.)

Northwind

All I remember about the book is that I didn’t really get into it, but I can’t remember why. So if the TV series fulfills that promise then I guess I’ll end up faintly confused

prettygreenparrot

Really enjoyed the book. Only spotted that there was an upcoming adaptation of it when I browsed the iPlayer. Hoping it turns out well.

molgrips
    Free Member

My wife, a literature graduate, has started it, got bored, put it down then forgotten the bits she read so had to start again about five times so far…

JulianA
    Free Member

Good link, Cougar!

BlobOnAStick

Kate Griffin writes as Claire North??!! *scurries off to Google Claire North*

MagicNumber8
    Free Member

AMAZING book. Have reread several times.

Is there a release date yet? All I know is that it’s sometime in May…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Having waded through the free sample I’ll not be wasting my £3.79 on the download. Terrible prose & sentence construction, I don’t understand why the author is aping a writing style that fell out of favour some 150yrs ago.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

i tired to read the book twice… just couldn’t get into the flow at all… i’m kinda glad i’m not alone… i’ll watch the show mind, looks like a lovely big budget affair

llama

Liked the book. I’ve read it twice, might read it again now it’s going on TV. Agree with people on the writing style to some extent but I like the ideas, world, and story.

Please be dark and nasty.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell…..’ is closed to new replies.