Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • jolpin posts
  • jedi

i like the lever on the post upy downy jobs . are there any better? before i buy one?

mboy
    Free Member

They’re better than they used to be… But that’s not saying a whole lot…

Far better to get a KS i900 IMO. The newer versions are drastically improved over the original ones (which were a whole lot better than the Maverick Speedball/Crank Bros Joplin posts anyway).

mildred

Had both a maverick and joplin (identical) and they were good. didn’t ride them in real shitty conditions because I knew they’d be a pain to clean and maintain etc. Never had a problem, but then I look after my stuff.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Great, so long as you maintain them. I’ve had two mavericks and once you get your head round the fact that they’re more delicate versions of suspension forks then you realise they need a bit of love. Saying that, they’re easy to look after. Pop them out of the frame, undo the bolt at the bottom and slide them apart. Clean them with some degreaser, wipe down then add new grease. Check if the guide is getting burred and replace if needed (about once a year or if your seat’s been smacked hard in a stack) then check the air pressure is right and reassemble. I used to do it about once every 3 months, or sooner if it started to feel gritty.

If you can’t be arsed to do any of that, then yeah, they’re shit, but then you’re forks probably feel worse anyway. 🙄 Back up from 2pure is excellent. I sent mine off for a service after about 2 years and it came back like new.

jedi

or should i wait for the new rock shox one i saw at cycle show ….hmmmm

cheers guys

scotbike
    Free Member

blimey, that really does sound like Reverb v.10.

jedi

cheers jamie, don’t sound good. i want a lever under the saddle not cables everywhere i reckon too.

solamanda
    Free Member

Jedi, I would highly recommend you get one with a remote lever. It makes it so much more useful. It’s great riding places where there are short fun downs where you’re tanking along on the level and suddenly it becomes a saddle lower moment, this is when remote lever is a thousand times better than on the saddle. Friends with levers on the post struggle in those situations.

I’d recommend the gravity dropper as they are so much more simple and very very easy to clean/grease when required (6months or so).

jedi

i just prefer the look of the lever under saddle. plus riding one handed to lower it is like reaching for a drink bottle

Bagstard
    Free Member

+1 solomanda,

the cable can be neatly tucked away and the lever action is very natural.
    On an unknown trail you can be caught out if you don’t have a remote, also on descents with climbs immediately afterwards you can power straight up the hill, but you lose power and momentum with non remote posts.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

i just prefer the look of the lever under saddle. plus riding one handed to lower it is like reaching for a drink bottle

I’ve got one of the cheap KS ones with the lever under the seat. It’s no problem at all, remote not needed IMO.

Ewan
    Free Member

When deciding whether to get a remote lever one or not, I took my mates advice and went on a undulating ride. Every time it went slightly downhill I tried to take my hand off the bars and press the bottom of the saddle – sufffice to say I fell off. I got the remote one!

When you’re reaching for a bottle you’re generally on a flat straight bit, not just diving into a steep bit you’d forgotten about.

I’ve got a KS i900, been very impressed. Wouldn’t want any less than 5 inches tho.*

*That’s what she said etc etc.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what he said had a remote and a non remote -non remote is useless IMHO though jedi may just outskill me.
    Generally you are riding unfamiliar terrain and you want to lower your post you are on unfamiliar rough terrain at speed so not that easy.
    Found Joplin brilliant if looked after and GD brilliant if ignored

timmys

My KSi900 has been flawless over the last year with no maintenance and no special protection from mud. More travel and cheaper than a Joplin, I know what I’d go for.

kelvin

Check if the guide is getting burred and replace if needed

Any idea where you can get replacement guides for the Maverick post?

soobalias
    Free Member

27.2 seat post here.

prefer the look of the non remote versions myself, but can see the advantaage of a bar mounted remote…..
    it was on my shopping list this time last year, probably still will be this time next year

m_t_b
    Free Member

Whichever one you get definetely get one of these and zip tie it at the top and it will save you from mechanicals

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Accessories/Bike+Accessories/Frame+Protectors/Lizard+Skin+Rear+Shock+Boot_1978.htm

Andituk
    Free Member

I’d recommend the remote, like Ewan said, the times when you want to drop your saddle aren’t the kind of times when you’ll be grabbing for a bottle.

I got a standard i950 and within a few rides realised I should have got a remote, its much easier to use, easier to get the height exactly right etc.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

kelvin – Member

Check if the guide is getting burred and replace if needed

Any idea where you can get replacement guides for the Maverick post?

2pure

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘jolpin posts’ is closed to new replies.