Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Joining Different Brands of Chain
  • mjrose
    Free Member

Can you?

I have a worn 9 speed kmc chain (works nicely with the worn xt cassette) which self destruted last night. I needed to add links and all i had were spare brand new sram 971 links.

It seems to be working, but will it last??

Three_Fish
    Free Member

The pins on SRAM 9-speed chains are not design or intended to be reused. It'd be OK as an on-trail repair to get you back to the carpark, but it shouldn't be used as a permanent repair.

69er
    Free Member

Probably not. But maybe. Life's a gamble. Especially for tight wads like you and me 😉

I made an 8 speed chain from all the left over bits I had kicking round and it lasted until the chain wore out. Don't see why a 9 speed should be any different.

You may find that the new bit jumps if the cassette is quite worn.

mtbfix

This time last year I'd have said 'no problem' but after a used chain fudge snapped under pressure, dumping me on the tarmac in front of traffic, I'd be a bit more cautious. New chains are not that expensive but then you're unlikely to kill yourself with a chain breaking.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Should be safe if you join it together with powerlinks.. My record for one chain was 5.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

p.s. Stupid hollowpin chains!

rolfharris
    Free Member

Contrary to what was said above, you can reuse pins in Sram chains, but not Shimano, so you'll be fine.

mjrose
    Free Member

I'm reading mostly positive comments, so it stays!

New chains aren't that expensive, but new rings, cassette and a chain is.

If you could buy new, but pre stretched chains (simul worn) id buy one….

Cheers

PS 5 powerlinks!?

mamadirt
    Free Member

It'll be fine. Cobbled together a chain for my BMX with bits from the tool box from several different chains but it was still too short – quick trip to both local lbs's proved fruitless also – neither had a singlespeed chain in stock 🙄 but the second shop had a spare length in the workshop – just enough to complete my chain puzzle.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Joining Different Brands of Chain’ is closed to new replies.