Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Join the que or use both lanes?
  • allmountainventure
    Free Member

The dual carriageway is going into 1 lane in half a mile, here is the question….. are you the person that joins the queue or are you the person that passes all the traffic and drives right to the end and then squeezes in?

Rorschach
    Free Member

I queue.At 400 yards I always leave space for 2 cars in front.At 200 yards I always leave space for 1 car in front.At 100 yards you can’t get a fag paper between my bumper and the car in front and any wazzock trying to dive in at the last minute gets the bird.

br
    Free Member

Why would I want to queue, when there is an open lane for 1/2 mile 🙄

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The latter. Knowing that its the right thing to do. Then everybody should merge together like a zip. Sometimes it’s almost like people want to queue.

spchantler
    Free Member

erm, cycle to work and never queue again?

davidjones15
    Free Member

Are you the person that allows me to enter the traffic flow in an orderly fashion, or do you prevent me from entering creating tension and more delays for everyone?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Queue; and if I’m within the last 200 yards and folk are still trying to cut in I pull out and block the lane lorry driver style

scuttler

Use both lanes, merge in turn in a timely manner. Oh I forgot you’re only supposed to merge in turn when there’s a sign for it. That way no one needs to apply common sense.

donald
    Free Member

I follow the highway code.

mrmo
    Free Member

Rorschach +1, unless your driving a Merc, BMW or Audi rep mobile in which case **** you, experience is you never return the favour so why should i bother?

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Queue; and if I’m within the last 200 yards and folk are still trying to cut in I pull out and block the lane lorry driver style

Ahha — a queue maker– have you ever seen those signs to use both lanes and then merge at the end ? They are for people like you who think they know what they are doing , but really have no concept of lateral thought.

pennine
    Free Member

Drives to end and merges. The recommended method I believe

pop-larkin
    Free Member

All for using both lanes and then alternating for access- always amazes that people want to get in one long line!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Drives to end and trys to barge in without making any eye contact or acknowledgement before blowing horn and gesticulating wildly.The reps method I believe.

bigG
    Free Member

BenHouldsworth – Member

This, as I was taught to do on a defensive driving course by a retired traffic cop…

andymc06
    Free Member

Drive to the end, merge. Laugh at the person getting angry who decided to queue for no reason 😀

The queue is only that long because people decided not to use a huge amount of empty road!

glupton1976
    Free Member

Dont queue. Merge like a zip, like you are supposed to do. Why have a 10 mile queue which is screwing up lots of junctions and other roads, when you can fit the same amount of cars in to less than hald the space?

Cougar

The latter. Knowing that its the right thing to do. Then everybody should merge together like a zip. Sometimes it’s almost like people want to queue.

This.

Two lanes into one, one merging point, after you after me, smooth and simple with minimum disruptions.

Two lanes into one, multiple merging points over half a mile, chaos, people carving in all over the place, harsh braking as people get cut up, the self-righteous intentionally blocking both lanes at whatever arbitrary point they’ve decided is ‘right’, stress, road rage.

What is there to gain by piling into one lane ages before the closure, other than to double the length of the queue (and thus the pinch point)? The road’s open for a reason. Use it.

Markie
    Free Member

Join the queue early and relax. Let late merging / highway code following (delete as biased) folk in at the end. Stay relaxed.

transapp
    Free Member

Of course go to the front. Why on earth would I want to wait behind people who I don’t know? Clearly my time is more important than there’s.

This is only slightly a troll, I do actually feel like this.

andymc06
    Free Member

Two lanes into one, one merging point, after you after me, smooth and simple with minimum disruptions.

Two lanes into one, multiple merging points over half a mile, chaos, people carving in all over the place, harsh braking as people get cut up, the self-righteous intentionally blocking both lanes at whatever arbitrary point they’ve decided is ‘right’, stress, road rage.

What is there to gain by piling into one line ages before the junction, other than to double the length of the queue (and thus the pinch point)? The road’s open for a reason. Use it.

+1

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

+1 Markie; the problem with the smooth closing zip (which I think is ideal) is that those shooting down the outside aren’t interested in traffic moving smoothly, they’re interested in themselves

stevemtb
    Free Member

I will stay in the outside lane until it feels cheeky to go any further, probably between 2-400 yards out then merge before people start to get annoyed. Have previously done both blocking the lane and merging at the last minute so can’t say one or the other!

Have found myself tending not to do things that will really annoy other drivers though, couple of witnessed (and experienced) road rage incidents make me think twice about blocking people if they’re intent on cutting in now.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Do exactly what it says on the sign.

toppers3933
    Free Member

like deadly says the whole point is that cars should meet at the end and merge in turn where the centre line stops. that is the point of there being 2 lanes. it idiotic to queue. youre just wasting tax payers money on excess tarmac if you dont use it.

Cougar

the problem with the smooth closing zip (which I think is ideal) is that those shooting down the outside aren’t interested in traffic moving smoothly, they’re interested in themselves

If everyone did merge at the merge point, there wouldn’t be an empty lane to shoot down in the first place.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

So they’re trying to apply this technique and us in the queue are mistaking it for impatience and preventing them? I knew it would be my fault

Cougar

‘s about the size of it.

If you were at the supermarket and there were two checkouts open, the one on the left had ten people waiting and the one on the right was empty, which one would you use?

Assuming you pick the right hand one, is that out of “impatience”?

If someone waiting at the left checkout then jumped out and stood in front of you before you got there, not actually using the till but just being obstructive, what would you think?

toppers3933
    Free Member

yeah kind of. the basic idea is that you fill both lanes. then you merge in turn. this allows twice the number of cars to occupy the same length of road. this in turn prevents traffic backing up too far. that is the principal behind it. if everyone did this the traffic would move faster because everyone would know what everyone else is (supposed) to be doing.

toppers3933
    Free Member

^^Too much punctuation not enough capitals.^^

AlasdairMc

Merge in turn, always. I once drove a good couple of miles down the A9 past a queue of traffic and must have had several hundred evil stares as I zoomed past them.

iainc

I drive a BMW, what’s a queue ? 😆

wallop

Que?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Emergency brake and signal at the last minute pretending I’ve only just realised I need this junction. Hand gesture apologetically.

Never fails to get some kind Samaritan let me in.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I drive a BMW, what’s a queue ?

All in good time son, all in good time.

We haven’t covered what ‘indicators’ are yet, when fog lights CAN be used, or what Lanes 1 and 2 are used for.

lister

I have no idea why you wouldn’t use the available lane until it runs out. I’m not more important or busy that those who queue, however I ‘may’ be more intelligent with a greater understanding of fair play and logic.

athgray
    Free Member

I tend to queue but don’t mind letting people in if they indicate. If someone gets to the cones and isn’t indicating to come across I assume that they like it there and am happy enough to oblige in keeping them there.

user-removed
    Free Member

I tend to do the same as Markie (just join the queue and stay frosty 8) ).

This is despite knowing that the sensible thing to do is to use both lanes and zip together.

Very topical as there was exactly this situation on the Coast Road out of Newcastle today, and I witnessed all the above behaviour, including a plumber’s van blocking the outside lane and rolling along at the same speed as the inside lane, and a taxi driver doing 80 right up until the cones started.

Sadly, people often disagree about the right / respectful / safe way to do stuff, and that’s before they get into their metal bubbles. And that’s why I just take the line of least resistance and queue.

scaredypants

Run to the end, then merge is the sensible way but people just can’t manage it and it all gets stressy so I don’t try it on generally. On the road I use where it tends to happen, I’ve only just joined so I’d feel a right git pulling out.

Frankly, I’m generally pleased when somebody “blocks” the empty lane – esp when the consequence is that both lanes fill up behind them (I mean, that’s what we all want, right ? 😉 ). Also, the cross people in flash cars then just add to the fun for me.

On roads where it happens routinely they should put up signs telling people to do so, like those in the pic above (use both lanes and merge at the end ONLY).

Tossers trying to get ahead at others’ expense do, of course, exist but they’re more obvious when shoving in late at an exit or undertaking a queue and then shoving out.

Pook

what really **** me off is the people who think “oh, the guy in front has only moved two car lengths, I’ll not bother moving”, thus completely ignoring the folks 30 cars back navigating that chocablock junction/roundabout and trying to free up a space.

+1 to using the road as intended btw. Queueing when you don’t need to?! I’m sure some folks just want a reason to get wound up.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Join the que or use both lanes?’ is closed to new replies.