Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • John Wayne..
  • loddrik
    Free Member

The man is attrocious, surely one of the worst actors ever…?

Or am I missing something…

McHamish
    Free Member

It’s well known that John Wayne impressions are the height of comedy…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSnYsZ–KaI[/video]

MSP

The man is attrocious, surely one of the worst actors ever…?

absofeckinglutely, although the way true grit has been fawned over recently it appears we are in the minority. There is probably not a single film he was in that could not have been improved by getting any other actor.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes you are missing something
    Steven Segal and Dolph Lungdren from the list of bad actors

redthunder
    Free Member

Hell, he ain’t.

“Talk low, talk slow, and don’t talk too much.”
    John Wayne, Advice on acting

mrlebowski
    Free Member

absofeckinglutely, although the way true grit has been fawned over recently it appears we are in the minority. There is probably not a single film he was in that could not have been improved by getting any other actor.

The man got an oscar for it – he couldnt have been that bad..

MSP

The man got an oscar for it – he couldnt have been that bad..

The oscars are hardly a seal of quality, how many did titanic get? and that’s one of the biggest loads of dross ever to grace the bigscreen.

derek_starship
    Free Member

The oscars are hardly a seal of quality, how many did titanic get? and that’s one of the biggest loads of dross ever to disgrace the bigscreen.

Fixed that for you.

enfht
    Free Member

He played the best Genghis Khan I ever did see

richmars

I don’t think you should look at any performance from 50+ years ago and compare it to what you think is good now. I’m sure in 50 years time people will think the current crop of actors are rubbish.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes rubbish but pretty

richmtb

Bit unfair to say he couldn’t act.

While not a showy or demonstrative actor, I think a lot of the roles he was playing demanded the kind of taciturn, stoic performance he was good at delivering.

Go watch “The Searchers” and then decide.

anagallis_arvensis

Did a few very good films such as the Searchers and the Shootist, very limited as an actor but a few directors got some great performaces out of him, kind of similar to Clint Eastwood really who also plays the same character in all his films and yet has done some great films. I’m a western fanatic though so could be a little biased.

redthunder
    Free Member

I don’t think you should look at any performance from 50+ years ago and compare it to what you think is good now. I’m sure in 50 years time people will think the current crop of actors are rubbish.

They’ll all be cartoons by then 🙂 Created by the yet unborn goblins of the STW IT bods on here 😉 If you think John Wayne was bad…just wait IGMC

molgrips
    Free Member

Is John Wayne liked by the same people who like Johnny Cash?

john_drummer
    Free Member

His Roman Centurion was on a par with his Genghis Khan.

<texan drawl>surely this man is the son of god</texan drawl>

DezB
    Free Member

Agree with richmtb. Bad actors ruin the films they are in. John Wayne didn’t do that.
    The Searchers + “Red River” – total classic.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Someone has to say it…

..is big leggy

BoardinBob

He was excellent in The Shootist. It would bring a tear to a glass eye

BigJohn

“That’s great John – but could you try doing it with some awe?”

<texan drawl> aw … surely this man is the son of god</texan drawl>

Northwind

He was in some great films and just occasionally, he wasn’t the worst thing about them. But fair play, he was well cast in some films. The Shootist especially, he was just right for that.

Old performances did tend to be less subtle and more, well, hammy and OTT- it’s not fair to judge the actors solely on that, that’s the job they were paid to do… But there’s still good and bad within that. El Dorado had Wayne against Robert Mitchum for instance, which was just painful.

nobtwidler
    Free Member

Like lots of others, bad actor but great filmstar!

mrlebowski
    Free Member

The oscars are hardly a seal of quality, how many did titanic get? and that’s one of the biggest loads of dross ever to grace the bigscreen.

Titanic didnt win any oscars for acting..

Certainly not. 👿

Junkyard
    Free Member

but it was voted the best film so I think the point [ though I disagree] remains

mrlebowski
    Free Member

but it was voted the best film so I think the point [ though I disagree] remains

Its not comparing like with like though is it? In what way is an award for best lighting (for example – Titantic’s awards were for its technological achievments) the same as an award for best actor? Not the same Im afraid.

Northwind

Oh I did quite like Titanic FWIW, it was succesful in what it wanted to do- show the ship, then show it sinking. The plot was purely incidental and best ignored.

Pigface
    Free Member

“John Wayne was a fag!” great quote from Repo Man

Junkyard
    Free Member

Look Dude 😉

it was voted the best film so I think the point [ though I disagree] remains

Its not comparing like with like though is it? In what way is an award for best lighting (for example – Titantic’s awards were for its technological achievments

Erm no best film goes to the best film so , I assume , it has some artistic merit to the award and therefore the film
    Of course I do not rate Titanic and I get your broader point as only the best film award can be considered “artistic” for the film.

Wayne got it for True gritt as alifetime achievement type award as it was his only one iirc Was it posthmous?

OmarLittle
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11QCdjBBiSU[/video]

He wasn’t a great actor but he was in some great films where his acting and personality suited the role he was being asked to play.

anagallis_arvensis

John Wayne and J R Cash are like chalk and cheese, one was very right wing Cash was very left wing (well maybe not very but certainly compased to Wayne

emac65
    Free Member

He was the Duke,nuff said….

brassneck

<applauds John Drummer>

derek_starship
    Free Member

John Wayne was to acting what Benny Hill was to comedy and feminism.

yoda
    Free Member

Not often a drummer gets applause is it Hooperman!? 😉

Certainly not.

He bloody well is!!

Is everybody forgetting “The Quiet man”?
    A truly classic film, which still holds the record for the longest fight scene if I’m not mistaken.(which I could well be).

And the Searchers, perfect for Wayne, being a devout racist.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Wayne got it for True gritt as alifetime achievement type award as it was his only one iirc Was it posthmous?

ok pilgrim..

Not at all – he didnt die till 1979 (10 years later). Im not sure where you get the lifetime award idea as the academy doesnt give awards like that as such.

John Waynes oscar was for Best Actor, nothing else. That year he was also up against Burton, Hoffman, O’Toole & Voight. He isnt everyones cup of tea but he could act – he might not have had a particularly broad talent but what he did he was very good at.

As for best film award its all encompassing isnt it? Its given to the film which overall is the best. Best actor or best director are awarded specifically. So sorry but gonna have to agree to disagree ‘cos I think you’re wrong 😉

MrSalmon
    Free Member

“That’s great John – but could you try doing it with some awe?”

<texan drawl> aw … surely this man is the son of god</texan drawl>

😀

Very good

anagallis_arvensis

And the Searchers, perfect for Wayne, being a devout racist.

You’ve lost me there seeing as how the Searchers is clearly not a racist film, much the opposite in fact

grievoustim
    Free Member

but Wayne’s character in the Searchers is a racist – he hates injuns.

anagallis_arvensis

well obviously, but a film which is anti racist is not an ideal film for a racist is it?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘John Wayne..’ is closed to new replies.