Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • John Simpson, balls of steel.
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

He’s on the news at a crossroads that’s being bombed by El Presidente’s airforce. With a flack jacket but no helmet, saying things like “A bomb just fell over there”…. (about six feet away).

Doesn’t even seem vaguely panicked.

tang
    Free Member

Did you see that footage of him in the friendly fire incident in Iraq? That was scary. His books are worth a read.

allthepies
    Free Member

Yeah, the friendly fire thing was terrible. One of the guys working with them was killed in that strike.

allthepies
    Free Member

allthegear
    Free Member

I love how he is so wonderfully english about it all – kind of makes me think about some of the officers etc that would have been out in places like India in the Raj times when there were things kicking off. Generally wandering around whilst chaos and violence went on around them…

Rachel

flip
    Free Member

+1 for his books, very intelligent well travelled man.

Yes agree with Rachel about his Englishness too, my favourite reporter by a mile.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Utterly professional, and marvellously unflappable. He’s not alone though, the BBC have a been responsible for a long line of top quality trouble spot reporters.

Raindog
    Free Member

allthepies – Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLwwi8L7yos

I’m feeling numb after watching that 🙁

MoreCashThanDash

Got to admire what most of those reporters go through, and stuff that they see that cannot be broadcast.

I remember – I think – Michael Burke who was talking about being in apartheid era South Africa when they watched a crowd “necklace” someone.

Man’s inhumanity knows few bounds sometimes, sadly

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Am I alone then in thinking he’s a bit of a tool? He is loving it, saw a clip of him this morning running about telling ewveryone to get down. Do the Beeb just wheel him out for potentially violent regime change stories?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘John Simpson, balls of steel.’ is closed to new replies.