Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • John Nash and wife killed
  • ransos
    Free Member

I’m very sure that you look hard enough you will find an academic paper written after years of testing and observation stating that white is actually a shade of black and as such it must be black.
    Back in the real world, believe what you want. If people believe that seat belts are of no benefit, then let them drive around without. Let’s hope their belief saves them as the are smashed up against whatever immovable object they encounter should they be in a bad accident.

“I don’t think anyone is disputing that if you’re in a crash, it’s better to have seatbelts.”

thestabiliser
    Free Member

lets not forget that if you wear a seatbelt a lot and are never in a crash, eventually the seat belt will wear through your shoulder and your head will fall off. FACT.

nealglover
    Free Member

Back in the real world, believe what you want. If people believe that seat belts are of no benefit, then let them drive around without. Let’s hope their belief saves them as the are smashed up against whatever immovable object they encounter should they be in a bad accident.

You have completely misunderstood the anti seatbelt argument.

Have a read of the link to professor John Adams that was posted earlier.

You might not agree with it, but at least read it before disagreeing, then you will at least be disputing something he actually said, rather than something nobody said.

iolo
    Free Member

From the link you mention

The step change in the trend suggests that each year since 1983 the seat belt law continues to deserve credit for the deaths of vulnerable road users, who but for the law would still be with us.

So he’s saying seatbelt are contributing to deaths in accidents with other road users. Or am I misunderstanding that sentence?

GrahamS

So he’s saying seatbelt are contributing to deaths in accidents with other road users. Or am I misunderstanding that sentence?

His premise, as I understand it, is that seatbelts and other safety devices can have the unintended consequence of altering behaviour through risk compensation – which has a direct impact on other road users, especially those who are not benefiting from that improved safety.

In other words, the more invulnerable a car driver feels, the more of a risk they are to others.

D0NK

If people believe that seat belts are of no benefit, then let them drive around without. Let’s hope their belief saves them as the are smashed up against whatever immovable object they encounter should they be in a bad accident.

no-one is saying (afaik) don’t wear a seatbelt. If I’ve got it right the argument is that the safer it becomes for the driver of the car the more dangerous it becomes for those around them. Of course other drivers have their own car technology to mitigate this so it’s the ones who choose not to drive who are most at risk from driving.

Which frankly is a bit of a pisser.

kcr
    Free Member

I don’t know how true to life the film was

It’s interesting to read the Wikipedia page for the film – there are a lot of significant aspects of Nash’s story that were just omitted or invented; e.g. Nash was apparently bisexual, he fathered a child by another woman who he abandoned, and his wife actually divorced him (they remarried years later). There’s also criticism of how inaccurately his illness and treatment were dramatised.

The film makers say they weren’t trying to tell his story literally, but when you start skipping or rewriting stuff like this it starts to feel more like a fictional drama inspired by John Nash, rather than an autobiography.

nealglover
    Free Member

You probably aren’t no. Now you have read it.

But when you posted this.

If people believe that seat belts are of no benefit…. Etc

You were clearly not understanding the anti seatbelt reasoning. Presuming people were believing seatbelts were of no benefit to the user.

bearnecessities

thestabiliser – Member
    lets not forget that if you wear a seatbelt a lot and are never in a crash, eventually the seat belt will wear through your shoulder and your head will fall off. FACT.

Thanks for that 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘John Nash and wife killed’ is closed to new replies.