Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • John Lewis never knowingly undersold – until today
  • matthewmountain
    Free Member

Having just price checked a Dyson on john Lewis, they price it at £289

http://www.johnlewis.com/dyson-dc40-multi-floor-upright-vacuum-cleaner/p1843352

At Argos it is £219, a high street shop with a fee minutes walk of JL.

http://www.johnlewis.com/dyson-dc40-multi-floor-upright-vacuum-cleaner/p1843352

However how do JL get away with their “never knowingly undersold” (accept when it suits us or it is a online shop!!)

They also advertise they check prices daily so I don’t have to, but clearly they haven’t.

This isn’t about the price or JL great service, just wondering how they get away with advertising claims which are not true anymore. I am sure they would price match in this instance, but how do they legally keep their slogan, when they are undersold??

pictonroad

Price

We set highly competitive prices for all our products, with a dedicated team regularly checking them against other high street competitors. If we find a national high street competitor offering a better nationwide price for the same individual product, sold with the same service conditions, we’ll lower our price to match in all our shops and on our website, including when a competitor is having a sale.

Some high street competitors have a different nationwide shop price to their online price; in that instance we’ll match whichever is the lower of the two across our shops and on our website. We also know that some high street competitors have a lower price in specific shops. Where these shops are in the local area of a John Lewis branch, we’ll lower our price in that branch to match.

legend
    Free Member

eh? doesn’t it just mean that they’ll price match?

geetee1972
    Free Member

However how do JL get away with their “never knowingly undersold” (accept when it suits us or it is a online shop!!)

Because that statement does not relate to price. They do not compete on price, quite the opposite. You will almost always pay a premium buying from them (unless you ask for the price match).

They compete on service and ‘value’ and in that respect, they are really very good and can rightly claim to be never undersold.

jambalaya
    Free Member

They will match the price if its the same item. They do have people who check competitors prices and they do match promotions, I get an email whenever they are doing this.

JL do have a few swerves, they will not match “internet only” and they often have JL specific models – we had this with a bed where the JL specific model is just a renamed standard model sold more expensively and they don’t have to price match as the item is different. We bought the bed elsewhere

sideshow
    Free Member

SALESMEN IN SELECTIVE USE OF TRUTH TO SECURE SALE SHOCKER

MrNice
    Free Member

they’re also sometimes offering a slightly longer warranty which means it’s no longer the same product. Whether the additional warranty (and possibly reputedly more likely to honour the warranty) is worth it is up to you.

Andy
    DezB
    Free Member

You have to do the work in the pricematching. They aren’t going to because most of the middle-class snobs who shop there aren’t going to ask for a discount, are they! 😆

scotroutes

Did you ask them to price match?

theotherjonv

If we find a national high street competitor offering a better nationwide price for the same individual product, sold with the same service conditions, we’ll lower our price to match in all our shops and on our website, including when a competitor is having a sale.

IF[/u] we find…….. but they can’t be held responsible for checking every competitor every day for every item. In that case, ask them; they’ve never even tried to wriggle out of price matching in that case as far as i’m concerned.

Notter
    Free Member

As above, show them the Argos price and they’ll match, ok so it hasn’t been “caught” by their checking team but they will honour the price match, done that a few times.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Epic fail OP.

toby1

OP, would you walk into a conservative club and knock the conservatives? If not then no point coming to a middle class forum and knocking JL.

I’m a long serving JL fan by the way 😉

Lester
    Free Member

if i see something cheaper elsewhere, and then go to John Lewis and tell them, then they price match.
    once they know it can be bought elsewhere cheaper, shouldn`t they drop their own store price, as they now arent knowingly undersold, because clearly they do know?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

their biodynamic hummus is to die for.

Rah.

scotroutes

shouldn`t they drop their own store price, as they now arent knowingly undersold, because clearly they do know?

I believe all price matches are reported up the line and that store prices do often change as a result.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Their delivery chaps were splendid, polite, helpful and texted arrival time with confirmation twenty minutes away. They offered to unpack fridge and freezer, move them into position, and take away the packaging.

The only time I needed something fixing, yonks ago, they were all one could ask, had a man collect, fix and return the TV.

I’m not so bothered if somewhere else is cheaper.

Richie_B

would you walk into a conservative club and knock the conservatives?

Probably

nealglover
    Free Member

This is the weakest “moany” thread I’ve seen on here I reckon.

Have you even asked them to price match? (which they would)

Seems like you must really want something to moan about, and if that’s the case, you really haven’t tried very hard to find something decent have you.

0/10

robdob
    Free Member

They price matched a TV at Richer sounds for me and I still got the 5 year guarantee. We’ve since bought a washing machine from them. Customer service is fantastic and their delivery drivers must be the best in the business by a long way from our experience. Courteous, well dressed, helpful beyond what they should do. I always worry when we get large expensive household goods delivered home when my wife is on her own as she doesn’t like confrontation but I am happy that JL would be brilliant for her to deal with.

slowoldman

Another liberal, middle-class JL shopper here. Shopping the way it should be.
    Oh I go to Waitrose too, Sainsbury is so passe.

rone

I pay more not to go to the awful warehouse with seats that is Argos.

Dyson and Argos in one post, might catch Affluenza.

Brown
    Free Member

‘never knowingly undersold’

dragon
    Free Member

A Dyson WTF :evil:, that’s where you are going wrong, nothing to do with JL.

tinglesrack
    Free Member

Hilarious! At what point in your day do think “I can’t wait to get home a and put this on a cycle forum”
    Having a moan about the price of a Dyson? Really?!!!

brooess
    Free Member

No-one else has done this so I will….

FIRST WORLD PROBLEM 😀

toppers3933
    Free Member

brooess – Member
    No-one else has done this so I will….
    FIRST WORLD PROBLEM POSTED IN THE WRONG FORUM

POSTED 2 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

FTFY 😉

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

cool story bro

jamj1974

Imagine this scenario.

Television on sale at John Lewis. Same model on sale at physical shop 35 miles away and in stock. John Lewis would not abide by their own price match policy as that model was not on display in the other store…

I waited until sale and bought at John Lewis as I thought service would be better.

Imagine another scenario.

Bought iPad from John Lewis as I thought service would be better. iPad stopped charging. Went back with proof of purchase – bank statement. Initially would not accept that as proof. However eventually did after being a bit annoying…

kcal

they used to price match on internet shops, in the early days fitted out our kitchen with quotes from appliance online I think, or something similar, then took the printouts to local JL where they matched and delivered..

kerley
    Free Member

If you don’t understand John Lewis then you shouldn’t shop there. Plenty of other shops to go to leaving me more room to swan about in John Lewis.

jimmy

This is the weakest “moany” thread I’ve seen on here I reckon

This.

I went to JL once with an Internet price match and asked them to me meet me halfway. No hesitation: Yes.

cheekyget
    Free Member

Actually ….a few years ago ,the wife brought a big Lego set for our son from JL
    A week later Asda had it in the shop for £15 cheaper .
    So my wife emailed JL and they checked it out and then refunded us the £15 difference

mcnultycop

They price matched my Sony TV and gave a 5 year warranty. Great place.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

At Christmas my wife wanted some fancy hair removal thing. Roughly £400.

JL Lewis price over a period of 2 months fluctuated in price from £300 to £450.

The cheapest I saw it any where else was £350.

Loads of their stuff is never the cheapest anywhere

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘John Lewis never knowingly undersold – until today’ is closed to new replies.