Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Jogging Advice
  • alexxx
    Free Member

I’ve just started jogging.. currently only done 3 days over the past 6 to let myself rest / skiing on the off days.

Bit of a struggle at first but on the 3rd day (today) I’ve done 4k in about 25minutes…

Just wondering if there is anything I should be doing differently as I plan to carry this on.. I was just thinking 5k every other day would be good.. or am I missing something?

Swirly
    Free Member

Learn to run ‘toe strike’ supposed to be better for your joints.

If you do, go easy at first or you risk injury.

Have been doing so myself and it makes sense if you think how you’d run naturally i.e. no shoes.

Not suggesting running bare foot tho!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Thats actually quite a lot from nothing…

emsz
    Free Member

Well done!! That’s a great start!!

start slowly, don’t overdo it.

tonyd

Yep, slowly is the way to go. You’re already doing quite a lot so don’t up it for a while. You may feel tired in a week or so, don’t be afraid to rest for a few days if you feel the need. Listen to your body!

And make sure you eat properly – don’t starve yourself.

Duane…
    Free Member

As others say, definitely take it easy, build up slowly, your fitness may allow you to run further, but your body isn’t used to it.

I went from not running at all, did a couple 5-10km runs, and then one evening did 23km. Got major shin splints, and couldn’t run for about 6 months. Was to the extent where a I’d have to take pain killers if I ran for 10seconds for the bus.. agony.

And I was a pretty fit 20 year old.

tutgareth
    Free Member

One tip from me, go to a proper running shop and get some running shoes that fit your feet and suit the way you walk/run. otherwise you’ll have knackered knees very quickly…. wish i had done that!

johndoh
    Free Member

Start slowly.

Ohh, and start slowly.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Warming up by running slowly isn’t that good as you actually get more shock – better to walk quickly…

try interval running – jog 100 paces, sprint 50, gasp, recover breath, repeat – brilliant for building up fitness quickly.

climbing out of the saddle on the bike whilst spinning instead of grinding is good for stabilising the knees, your running will be a lot more ‘bouncy’ next time out.

don’t be tempted to run junk miles

decent shoes with the right support help the knees/ankles – but that is not always relate to the amount of sole padding – get someone to watch or film so you can see how stable you are when running in a particular shoe.

running with a head cold is OK, but definitely not with a sore throat.

choose a loop from your house so you can’t duck out early…

themightymowgli
    Free Member

Well, not advice as such. Went for my first run on Tuesday morning. 5.5km. Simple, didn’t really feel exhausted, it took me at least a km to warm up but felt good. Fairly respectable average speed too.
    However, within an hour of finishing my legs felt tight as harp strings and hurt like they’d recieved a hundred thousand dead legs and have done ever since. Once warmed up my legs work fine. Badminton today was good but I might wait another day or so before running again. Be careful out there kids

alexxx
    Free Member

Thanks Turnerguy I’ll try the interval training as that’s really what I want to do (get fit quick) not bothered about distances or any longer than 30 minutes.

What are junk miles?

Do shoes really matter that much for distances this short? I don’t plan on doing over 30 minutes more than 3 days a week.. I know for skiing I have a fairly high arch and I know from purchasing my trainers that they cost £20 and were bought on the basis they were cheap!… not felt any foot or knee pain though… but it’s very early days I guess.

I’m also jogging on compacted snow… that probably takes some of the shock out of it all?

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Jogging advice?

Don’t do it. It will wreck your body.

Do you ever see a runner with a smile on their face?

alexxx
    Free Member

I had a smile on my face this morning

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

What are junk miles?

just clocking up the distance without running without a plan – for instance doing intervals or pacing yourself are targetted training, but just plodding round for 40 minutes doesn’t necessarily do a lot. I tend to do the latter more than I should 🙁

Do shoes really matter that much for distances this short?

Some people reckon supportive shoes actually can cause injuries – if you run as suggested so that your forefoot does most of the work, or you at least land lightly on your heels, then the correction provided by the support probably does less anyway, so you can get away without it.

I don’t plan on doing over 30 minutes more than 3 days a week..

You might find that, after a short while, you will be going further.

tonyd

I run pretty much exclusively junk miles according to your definition but I wouldn’t count them as such. I run as I ride – to get/keep fit and because I enjoy it (kind of). Just plodding around for 40 minutes might be boring to some, but personally I take great pleasure from it. Mostly I run off road so canal towpath, river side paths, woodland, but even if I do a road run I still enjoy looking having a good nose around.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Jogging Advice’ is closed to new replies.