Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Joe's tubeless kit & sidewall bleeding?
  • leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I’ve just installed a Joe’s tubeless conversion kit into Continental black chilli racesport tyres. The tyres are about a year old so initially there were quite a few holes to fill in the sidewalls, and the wheels are on their side to fill the holes.

But after a few hours the sidewalls are still showing wet areas where the sealant is being pushed through – will this eventually stop?

Sui
    Free Member

whilst this will not help, i’m waiting for a delivery to turn up as i’m going tubeless for the first time and i hope i’ve not bought duff stuff…

wwaswas

go for a ride round the block.

you need to force some fo the ‘granules’ into the holes to force them to seal (I assume you shook the bottle of goo?).

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Yup gave it a really good shake before inserting. I gave the wheel a spin before allowing to sit, but granted the forces won’t be as strong as riding.

I’ve also kept the pressure around 40psi. I’ve used the Eco stuff which, they say, is better for sidewall bleeds, so we’ll see.

Sui, follow the instructions and you should be ok. I read lots of complaints of sealant being spilt or tyres not inflating, but with a but of patience and a good track pump it didn’t take me more than an hour, no probs.

BoardinBob

On really porous tyres it’ll take a ride or two to get them properly sealed

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Cheers Bob.

superfli
    Free Member

This bugs me with Continental tyres. They soak up all the sealant extremely quickly to fill their tiny holes. Tyres stay up, but when I open them to inspect the sealant, there is none inside. I’m not talking months either, it seems to happen within a couple of days.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Hmm. Was thinking about getting a spare bottle to top up in a few months anyway. I can hear it slooshing about but there are a lot of holes needing filled!

bigjim

I have a pair of Barons that are still leaking a clear fluid through teh sidewalls over a month after fitting, never had it with any other brand of tyre. stan’s sealant though

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Do they lose pressure quickly bigjim?

skiprat
    Free Member

I’ve used Joe’s eco and the normal white with normal Maxxis, Specialized TLR and Maxxis TLR tyres. Normal maxxis weep clear for a few days/week while the block the sidewalls.

Both the Specialized and the Maxxis TLR ones held air perfectly with no real weeping. Infact the new maxxis has held air for a week or so without any sealant in it.

Joe’s has worked fine for me over the last couple of years with only one puncture that wouldn’t seal.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Uae Conti sealant with Conti tyres and all will be good.

toronte
    Free Member

The RS isn’t the best option to go tubeless. Weakest/thinnest sidewalls. I had no problems with RQ protections. What I do is ‘paint’ the inside of the tire with sealant and a brush, let it dry so it can seal better. Honestly: I would not be surprised if the RS’s don’t hold air.

Sui
    Free Member

Just to update. My New tyres and Joes no-flats turned up today – 30 mins later and they’re all tickedy boo.. Such an easy process. Rim tape over the existing, then Rim strip on, make sure it’s seated properly. Tyre on, inflate. deflate, add spunk through valve, re-inflate – all with a shoddy track pump! 8)

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Toronte – you’re right I’m having some air loss but they are lasting longer and longer so I think the sealant just needed to coat the inside of the sidewalls. I’ll probably end up topping it up soon just to be sure.

First impressions are good though, bike feels more lively.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Joe's tubeless kit & sidewall bleeding?’ is closed to new replies.