Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Jodrell Bank Visitor Centre, any good ?
  • hughjengin
    Free Member

I have a day off with my 7 and 8 year olds tomorrow, and thinking of somewhere to take them indoors ish that they have never been before, (we've done the 10 pin bowling, cinema thing too much recently) Was thinking about the Jodrell Bank, simply becasue I remember it being good whan I was a kid, but 30 years have passed since, and I couldnt really say if its worth a visit or not. Thoughts please ??

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Went a couple of years back, was ok and my kid enjoyed the Planetarium bit

Not enough to keep a couple of youngsters busy for long though

Creg

Went a few years ago and thought it was amazing, really enjoyed the place.

But then I was also a stargazer nerd child so it was like heaven anyway

PaulMc
    Free Member

Indoors you have the 3D cinema, which was showing a 'trip to a star' show when we last went a few months ago and a small interactive display area. Our eldest, aged 6, enjoyed the activity where you have to write/draw shapes whilst viewing your hand & the paper in a mirror.

Outdoors you have the whispering dishes, which kids love, general starign at the size fo teh telescope and a nature and planets trail. Overall I would say without the outdoor bit it would make a very short visit.

[OEGGVjWF]
    Free Member

A visit would be done and dusted in an hour, two hours would have to involve a long coffee break.
    It's cheap and you could pad it out by buying a frisbee or ball from the gift shop and playing with it on the grass for a while.
    The whispering dish section should fascinate them for a short while and the sight of the telescope dish as you approach it is quite exciting if you've not seen it before but to be honest, it's not a great destination to visit.
    They have a lay out of the planets across the garden which is supposed to give a sense of scale of the size and distance of the planets but even that doesn't really catch the imagination.
    It's a cake stop on one of the local roadie club runs and most people wondering around look pretty bored.

hughjengin
    Free Member

Any other suggestions then for something in that area, weather forecast looks garbage to be honest.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Went to an aquarium up that way somewhere, think it was Cheshire/South Merseyside area

Best place we found was Ironbridge, but could be a problem if the weather is a bit iffy

hughjengin
    Free Member

Probably Blue planet aquarium at Ellesmere port near the Cheshire Oaks outlet village ?

[OEGGVjWF]
    Free Member

Manchester any good?
    Science and Industry Museum is a full day. Loads to see and do.
    Manchester Musuem at the University on Oxford Road. Proper dead bodies (mummifed) and all sorts. Very good. Both free apart from parking.
    Blue Planet at Cheshire Oaks is good but a bit pricey. Big signs right outside for Chester Zoo may result in lots of "can we go" requests.
    Would you consider going 30 minutes or so (from Jodrell Bank) down the M6 to Stoke? Waterworld is a great day at the swimming pool and cheap as well. It's at Festival Park so very easy to get to.

easygroove
    Free Member

Alderley Edge (10 miles away from JB) go for a walk……is going for a walk too old fashioned??

radar
    Free Member

Jodrell Bank used to be fantastic, but alas is now a minor one hour visit. Bit dull unless you all wear white lab coats. Like the idea of playing footie near the big dish, okay kids five pounds to anyone who vcan hit the dish with the foortball. You could always add a stately home in too, Tatton Park, Lyme Park etc. Stapely Water Gardens is pretty good as an add on too.

Blue Planet Aquarioum – dear, google voucher codes for it instead. Same can be said for Chester Zoo if you fancy that instead.

Manchester is probaby a better bet. Science Museum – interactivegallery is currently closed (that's the best bit). Manchester Museum is fabulous. New Lego Discovery Centre opening soon in Trafford Centre (may already be open). Or catch the tram up to Bury and go for a ride on a steam train at East Lancs Railway (check times so you go steam rather than diesel).

Or go upto Buxton – go down Pooles Cavern, play in the Pavilion Gardens, if it is raining the little museum is pretty good.

Castleton – visit all the showcaves (joint entry ticket makes it cheaper), the castle, eat chips and ice cream.

[OEGGVjWF]
    Free Member

"is going for a walk too old fashioned??"

He asked for 'indoors'. Going for a walk when you are 7 and 8 isn't usually the best thing to do. Doing it in the pissing down rain is probably worse (assuming they've done the 'jumping in puddles with wellies on' thing when they were 3 years old or something, like most kids and anything in Alderely Edge is boring.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Go-Ape at Delamere?

About 10mins from Jodderal bank.

And yes the weather here at the minute, is indeed sh1te.

PaulMc
    Free Member

+1 for the Science Museum, our kids love it.

Blue Planet is supposed to be VERY expensive and not good value, compared to the Zoo, which although expensive is at least an all day thing. Perhaps not in the weather due tomorrow.

Does it have to be indoors? As its going to be p****ng it down anyway why not get properly soaked and go to the Crocky Trail at Christleton outside Chester, or the somewhat tamer Chameleon Trail at Manley Mere (not far from Delamere). Provided you're not a H&S officer, that is.
    Might be a bit cold though tomorrow!

M6TTF
    Free Member

Go-Ape at Delamere?

About 10mins from Jodderal bank.

And yes the weather here at the minute, is indeed sh1te.

you must be motoring to get to delamere from jody bank in 10 mins…

granted it's only 15 miles though.

what about stockley farm – good now it's spring and lambing season, my lad loved it – they always have school trips there.

http://www.stockleyfarm.co.uk/

Esme
    Free Member

Do they have bikes? I'd recommend going to Liverpool (Albert Dock area), catching the Mersey Ferry over to Seacombe, and riding along the prom for 2 miles to Fort Perch Rock
    History of the Fort

Only 10 mins on the ferry, on the outward journey, but a 40 min mini-cruise coming back

And you have the option of the Maritime Museum at the Albert Dock if the weather really does turn out to be unpleasant. Or Spaceport at Seacombe (probably better than Jodrell Bank)

We did this trip on a cold day in February, with two little children, who thought it was a BIG ADVENTURE

hughjengin
    Free Member

Thats all great advice. We do a lot of walking with the kids, living in North Wales, we are spolit for great outdoorsy things to do with them, and they love it. But the forecast is so bad for the next few days that even though the kids love the outdoors then it may be miserable for them. The science museum sounds like a winner, but maybe not for tomorrow if as I read nearer the top of the thread that the best exhibit is closed.

[OEGGVjWF]
    Free Member

I wouldn't discount Manchester Science and Industry just becuase the interactive gallery is closed though.
    It's a huge place and will easily keep most people happy for a day. From space ships to walking through the old sewers (with pooh coming out of the walls) and eveything in between.
    I reckon it would be a great day out for your younsgsters and you.
    I think it will cost £6:00 to park on site for the day and then that's it.
    Even the gift shop has ace scientific toys they can buy and the food in the very nice cafe is healthy and not too expensive.
    Go on, your youngsters will love you more than they already do :-}

RustySpanner

…..living in North Wales, we are spolit for great outdoorsy things to do with them, and they love it. But the forecast is so bad for the next few days that even though the kids love the outdoors then it may be miserable for them.

You've probably done it, but how about the Magic Mountain hydro-electric powerstation tour at Llanberis?
    Might be worth booking in advance – tends to be packed if the weather is
    poor.

mrchrispy

first indoor choice for us round here is Manchester Science and Industry.
    second choice is Styal Mill out by the airport (expensive if your not a NT member).

Saccades
    Free Member

Catalyst is an ace place to go with kids that age – loads of stuff for them to muck about with.

hughjengin
    Free Member

Well I went to the Manchester Science and Industry museum, kids loved it and we had a great day, so thanks all for that tip.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Jodrell Bank Visitor Centre, any good ?’ is closed to new replies.