Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Jock's Road – What are you waiting for?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Jock's Road, what a hidden gem. Big respect to Sanny – Uber rider and mountain enthusiast.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/mcmoonter/20100801JockSRoadAug2010?authkey=Gv1sRgCNzZrraOkZ7M4gE#

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

looks great. Waht was your route?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

It was a bit of a try to save a day ride after a hub failure on Grahams bike.

We started at the head of Glen Clova and rode up to the bridge at Bachnagairn. We had intended to go over to Loch Muick but spotted the trail up the Glittering Skerries from the north side. Sanny rode back to the bridge, I traversed across to pick it up.

We rode up to Cairn Lunkard to check out the view, then doubled back down onto Jocks Road. We hit a first trail which was barely rideable then picked up the true trail back down to Clova.

Dan
    Free Member

Well done! I said it was a good one 😉

How was the track across from Glittering Skerries? I looks ok but I feared it turned into a bog very quickly so have not ventured across as intended several times.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Dan, its a good trail with little waymarker posts.It becomes a little indistict near Cairn Lunkard. There were one or two boggy bits but nothing you couldnt jump over. It would make an equally good descent.

Great day out, thanks

marty
    Free Member

would have met you two near the wasps, fall on the kilbo path the day before meant that my mountain craft* kicked in and i spent the day mooching about the clova hotel (mmmm thrappledouser, mmmm) instead.

* snigger

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I heard about the wasp attack. That would have done for me. Did you guys have any pics of your loop?

The Kilbo Path, I minced about a 1/3 of the top section on Stuartie-Cs ride, I think Raddogair was the only guy who cleared it all.

Sanny
    Free Member

Hi Marty

Glad you weren't too seriously hurt on Saturday. I met the guys just after their wasp attack. Sounded pretty nasty. I was heading back down to do Jocks Road when I met Dr Jon, Chris and Dave as we had to curtail our planned ride following Graham's rear hub seizing solid. Unusual to see an XT fail like that.

Jock's Road is mint. Have you ridden it? Would be interested to know what the whole route over from Braemar is like?

Cheers

Cheers

Sanny

dRjOn

some pics…
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/drj0n/%5D

the first day was wet and pretty slippery….although marty had the only significant damage, we all had some pretty sketchy moments….we took the ridge off the kilbo path and it would be fair to say it was pretty wet by then, defo needed to pay attention///

the next day we got the weather and got a pretty decent loop done.

a good area…but bring your hike a bike legs….

cynic-al
    Free Member

Pete you need to enter tags individually!

marty
    Free Member

jon's photos here – http://www.flickr.com/photos/drj0n/

not ridden jocks road, believe callater end is a bit of a humph?

no major damage, just don't make me laugh…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Marty check this out http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/jocks-road-from-loch-callater-to-glen-doll

Pete you need to enter tags individually!

Not my tags

dh
    Free Member

Looks good, although i suspect the good looking downs, mean some bad looking ups.

A wee route map would be very handy….

Sanny
    Free Member

Loving the pics Dr Jon.

Might have a crack at the Kilbo Path next weekend though Lochnagar beckons as does Ben MacDhui. Hope the guff weather forecast improves though yesterday was suprisingly better than expected.

Jocks Road is definitely a wee gem if you like a bit of technical riding and don't mind some hike a bike.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Interesting route – I'll go and give it a try.

Found this report of the Jock's Road tradgedy – sobering stuff……….

freeridenick
    Free Member

Looks like a quality descent.. 😛

messiah
    Free Member

Callater end a horrible hike-a-bike. Not an easy walk much of the time either… Knaps of Faffernie is a bit of scramble on all fours (but i usally walk up there in winter/snow). I've been eyeing up a route for a few years up that way but when it comes to doing it I usually do one of the route's which I know are ace. I think the way to link Braemar to Clova on a bike is to go up from Invercauld through Ballochbui and up between Carn an t-sagairt mor'/beag (all can be ridden). Then head to Cairn Bannoch and aim for Faffernie, then Knaps of Faffernie and onto Jocks for crow Craigies; the contours look favourable and I suspect a path exists. Other option would be to go up from Bachnagair and over Broad Cairn to get to Bannoch, but I'm not sure which direction to do this route since I fancy going down Broad Cairn to Bachnagair… I always fancied Jocks Road as the climb!!!!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Jock's Road – What are you waiting for?’ is closed to new replies.