Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Jockey wheels – how much?!
  • paul4stones

Sorry, this is so, so dull.

I’ve an oldish X9 rear mech (bought off here a couple of years ago). One of the jockey wheels packed up – they have bearings in which seems overkill, especially when they break and seize – so I bodged an old cheap shimano one on (probably off some ’80s road mech). Really thinking I should buy a proper one but the cost! Should I buy a pair or a new mech given I can get a new X5 or X7 mech for similar money?

shedfull
    Free Member

If it’s a 2009 or earlier X9 mech, the top wheel has a bushing, not a bearing. You can buy BBB jockey wheels for X9 mechs, you pay a lot less than for SRAM originals and you get bearings on both wheels.

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

Sorry this is duller…..

I had the same happen to me (miles from anywhere, without a 2.5mm allen key to undo the bolts*). Anyway once I walked/rolled back home and looked at the cost of replacements I decided that the plastic jockey wheel was fine so I replaced the bearing with a cheap 6801 2RS bearing from ebay. Push it out carefully with sockets in a vice.

*Whilst you are at it upgrade the bolts to well greased stainless steel since the stock ones are made of a cheese-soft metal and round out very easily.

paul4stones

Ah thanks – that’s the sort of answer I was after. It was the lower wheel that failed and because the bearings disintegrated it jammed. Luckily I wasn’t far from home. I haven’t even looked at the top one so it may have a bush. I’m about to head off to the Netherlands on a family holiday and don’t really want it to fail – last time my Alfine broke . . .

moonboy
    Free Member

I went through exactly this a few weeks ago. Older X9 and WTF on replacement jockey prices!

Ended up buying a second hand sram mech off here for £20 and now cannibalising for parts.

paul4stones

These things?

I’m all for a bit of bodging. Perhaps I could find a suitable bit of metal and make a bush.

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

Those Rollerboys are cheaper than SRAM but if your jockey wheel is ok you can get a bearing from ebay for £1.38.

shedfull
    Free Member

These things?

I’m all for a bit of bodging. Perhaps I could find a suitable bit of metal and make a bush.

That’s them. The different discs are centres for different makes and year of derailleur.

theblackmount
    Free Member

BBB et al are not exactly foul weather friends. There’s a good reason Shimano use ceramic bushes down there.

If that’s what Sram use I’d go with originals.

paul4stones

Thanks all for your advice. Decided the plastic is ok so new ebay bearings it is. Yes, mean 🙂

Those Rollerboys are cheaper than SRAM but if your jockey wheel is ok you can get a bearing from ebay for £1.38.

5 for £5.05 Will need to remember where I put the spare ones 😉

Northwind

Yeah, fitting a new bearing is straightforward. BBB Rollerboys are fine but they can clog up with muck over time- there’s a clamshell around the bearings, which fills up, takes about 2 minutes to clean out but it’s kinda annoying to have to do it.

andrewh
    Free Member

Have a look at the Mt Zoom ones. Two versions, Speedwheels for lightweight, Bulletproof for longevity.
    I’ve been using the Speedwheels and they’ve lasted for ages, icluding several wet 24s, Keilder etc when most other bearings stopped working.
    Should work fine with your mech. About XT/XO price rather than silly Xtr/XX money. Worth it IMHO

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Jockey wheels – how much?!’ is closed to new replies.