Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Jockey Wheels – how do you clean yours?
  • thatscold
    Free Member

When I come back from a muddy ride I give my bike a hose down and clean it with Fenwicks. This does the job, but the jockey wheels always remain caked in mud, what’s the best way to get this oily mud off?

brokenbanjo

Fire.

martinhutch

Pinch the exposed bit lightly with a soft rag and turn the pedals? Perhaps your mud is bit more resistant, though.

iain65
    Free Member

I do the incorrect thing and hit it with the pressure washer, never actually seems to cause them harm – you just have to keep the jet away from all the bearing seals on the wheel/suspension. Maybe a bit of muck off on it first.

With too many bikes in the family I could spend days just cleaning and not riding so it seems the best solution, keen to hear other ideas.

nuke

Stick/tyre lever/etc against side of jockey wheel, turn pedals

nikk
    Free Member

Don’t use oily oil.

Use something like Purple Extreme or Rock N Roll. Apply frequently and wipe chain afterwards.

Scrub dérailleur inc jockey wheels (and chain, and chainring, and cassette) with Sh!t Shifter or other cleaning product when cleaning, then gently rinse off. Use a dedicated small cleaning brush for this, as it will get greasy. Reapply non oily oil.

MSP

Remove derailleur, put it in the dishwasher (don’t let the mrs catch you).

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Flat blade screwdriver, turn pedals, caked crap scrapes off

spacey

Old tooth brush, turn pedals, job done.

thatscold
    Free Member

Old toothbrush sounds like a good idea.

I away think that if I spray it too much I’ll send the oil on to the brake disk.

gogg
    Free Member

Don’t use oil +1 for Rock’n’Roll, discovered it earlier this year and revolutionised my chain maintenance.

Less cleaning, more pedalling!

🙂

scotroutes

You clean your jockey wheels after every ride?

binners

Old tooth brushes should never be thrown out! They’re the perfect drivechain cleaner!

I assumed everyone did this

z1ppy

old tooth brushes are ace for cleaning, but mud caked jockey wheels.. just use a small flat bladed screw driver as per mrbelowski

davosaurusrex

I’m with below ski, flat blade screwdriver is most effective and most satisfying. I went to rock and roll last year and am now denied that pleasure though. Although I’ve just put an e13 top guide on my bike and apparently can’t use rock and roll any more as it degrades the plastic, gah!

jimification
    Free Member

Bike upside down ( 😯 )

Driveside: Press bit of cloth over finger onto jockey wheels, turn pedals backwards.

For non-drive side, Press bit of cloth over finger through spokes onto jockey wheels, turn pedals backwards. More at stake on this side as rotating pedals wrong way will hurt your finger!

Disclaimer: Screwdriver IS more fun 😆

Manufacturers: We don’t ride in showrooms. Stop designing jockey wheels with holes in. It saves bugger all weight and they just fill up with mud / dust anyway and are harder to clean.

nealy
    Free Member

Hose and kitchen brush on all drive train, wipe chain with rag, rock n roll, wipe chain cogs and jockey wheels, done

MoreCashThanDash

Screwdriver and turn the pedals for me

slowoldman

Wheel off so it’s easy to get to both sides, hold chain off wheel turn jockey wheel and clean with toothbrush.

philjunior
    Free Member

From the way they didn’t want to turn when I went to do some work on the bike today, I can only assume “not very well”.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Jockey Wheels – how do you clean yours?

Eh?

cheers_drive

Screwdriver for me too. I use a chain cleaner bath thing too so they get cleaned wnen the chain does.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Yip, screwdriver.

You clean your jockey wheels after every ride?

allthepies
    Free Member

I user the pointy end of this

Held against each side of the jockey wheel in turn as I rotate the cranks.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Jockey Wheels – how do you clean yours?’ is closed to new replies.