Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Jockey Wheels for Shimano Rear Mech
  • old_mtber
    Free Member

Any thoughts on replacement jockey wheels?
    The original Shimano XT tension pulley seized and was replaced in an emergency with Tacx which have lasted 2 months before giving up. A quick trawl round the usual internet suppliers reveals that most are out of stock – even the expensive Token ones although I have heard these do not fit very well.
    Any advice would be most welcome on what replacement jockey wheels and where to get them.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

If you’re in the habit of leaving things until they seize, just buy the cheapest second-hand mech you can find on eBay and use the jockeys from that. You can probably get a great condition Deore for a tenner.

dan1980
    Free Member

I’ve used BBB ones with no problems for a few months, not sure about longevity yet though…

Ebay link

PaulD
    Free Member

o-m,

Get some BBB 11T transparents for £10.50p from here:

http://www.dotbike.com/p/3992

Top service and an excellent product.
    Free next day delivery last time I used them.
    Just fill the bearings with grease before fitting and go ride.
    Teeth wear (slowly) before the bearings fail in my experience.

PaulD.

foxyrider
    Free Member

BBB

z1ppy

Deore or BBB I reckon, deores last forever and have got a m8 testing some BBB ones on a X0 mech.
    Only interested in the BBB ones as X9 one are daft money, deore all the way otherwise..

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Re the BBB ones, the resin of the teeth certainly wares better than Shimano original but, on my first set, the bearings failed in < 6 months.
    With the second set, I popped the covers off the bearings and packed with grease before fitting. These seemed to fair much better, right up to the point where I trashed the mech… so I never got a definative result from the test.

I’d certainly choose BBB again next time.

rocketman
    Free Member

BBB rollerboys FTW. Quickest way to make an XT mech look like Alivio but they were only £8 from the lbs.

superfli
    Free Member

I’ve been using KCNC alloy ones from xcracer.com So far so good (only 2months old)

enfht
    Free Member

I have found KCMC jockey wheels are noisier than shimano, if that matters to you 😮

old_mtber
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. Just managed to prise the covers off the Tacx wheels and found them full of mud and no grease! Perhaps the answer is buy cheap and fill up with decent grease before use.

stumpy01

I replaced the ones on my XT mech with LX ones and they work fine.
    Loads cheaper too….

rainbow
    Free Member

BBB, they are better than the standard Shimano ones as they have sealed bearings while Shimano dont.

Good stuff, run better and smooth.

LsD
    Free Member

Conkur for teh BBB from Dotbike….

dale
    Free Member

had bbb bearings fail in 6 months as the seals are vulnerable (grass,heather etc)

nbt

I just use Deore jockeys

kaiser
    Free Member

imhe most jockey wheels will last ages with regular cleaning and a touch of lube. some of you guys must maintenance averse or doing huge mileages to wear stuff out so quick. I keep stuff going for yrs but do look after it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Jockey Wheels for Shimano Rear Mech’ is closed to new replies.