Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Jockey wheel killer
  • adeturner5
    Free Member

Since going 1 x 10 with a zee rear mech I’m going through lower jockey wheels super fast. Killed the stock one, killed another Deore one, just finished off an xtr one from a spare mech.
    Front ring is fitted in the right place and I still run 1 bb spacer drive side so chain line is as it should be..

Only thing I can think is that short cage mechs wear them out faster as used to run a medium?

Anybody else with this problem?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Is it not the extra tension in a clutch mech that accelerates wear? If you’re using a clutch mech.

adeturner5
    Free Member

It’s a clutch mech, but prior to the zee I ran a medium xtr shadow plus but sadly busted it but they lasted twice as long, the xtr jockeys run a floating bearing and I thought retrofitting onto the zee might last longer due to the better bearing but it’s only lasted couple of month..

Onzadog
    Free Member

Was it the clutch that broke on the xtr?

dannyh
    Free Member

Same thing here, but probably more likely that it is a combination of the extra tension and chainline. Check that when the chain is halfway down the block (gears 5 and 6) the chain looks perfectly parallel with the chainring.

Also, shimano jockey wheels are shite, if they are the type that run on bushings. I’m having much better luck with tacx jockey wheels that run on proper bearings.

Keep an eye on it as this can cause chain drop and all sorts of other problems.

adeturner5
    Free Member

Nah, clutch was fine it developed excessive play where the cage meets the body. Initially thought it was hanger but same prob when replaced then noticed it was flexing way more than it should..

Chain is dead straight in 17t ( use this combo when adding lube) on the plus side I’ve never had a problem dropping the chain RF NW with clutch and e13 xcx guide..
    I’ll try the tacx one and see if they last any longer, the bearings ain’t the problem, problem is that they wear out and look like ninja stars faster than I would like.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I fitted tacx ones at new year, lasted 3 months, bearings completely seized in the lower jockey. Sent them back to merlin who replaced under warranty, though I’m loathe to refit, as at the moment I have a bushing type jockey in there, from an LX rear mech I got on a kona in 2004. Running sweet. 😯

GolfChick
    Free Member

Odd I ran a clutch mech for ages and never got through a single set of jockey wheels. The OH and best mate have though neither of which really use the ‘clutch mech’ setup to its full.

dannyh
    Free Member

Ah, fair enough. I was wearing out the middle of jockey wheels with a combination of bad chain line and a bent hanger. The angle I was asking the lower jockey wheel to cope with in the lowest gear was not good!

I’ve also managed to snap the clutch lever off of my zee mech, must have taken a rock strike at some point!

Never mind, mountain biking breaks stuff and wears stuff out. Always has, always will.

warpcow
    Free Member

I wore out my first set of Zee jockey wheels in about 6 months. Replaced with spangly Hope ones that are still running fine after a year or so. My LBS couldn’t work out what could caused apart from the clutch.

DanW
    Free Member

Shimano ones are shonky

Since going to MT Zoom or KCNC jockeys I have had nothing but smooth running, long life out of them

Superficial
    Free Member

I have noticed this. My jockey wheels seem to need replacing at the same rate as chain/cassette (XTR m980 10spd).

I don’t know if it’s chain line, the effect of the clutch or what. Having said that, the chain/cassette are wearing phenomenally well. 18months of peak grit so far and still shift perfectly.

jim25

Same here been through 2 sets of wheels, first original shimano then replaced with tacx, that lasted about 2 months. Have today just replaced with the can’t hope ones.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Jockey wheel killer’ is closed to new replies.