Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Jobsworth Pro Wheel Truing Stand, anygood?
  • granny_ring

With the sale today making it £84 posted, £24 more than the standard one, is it worth the extra?
    Linky

qwerty
    Free Member

Them dials are pretty geeky, i went with http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJWWTS/jobsworth-wheel-truing-workshop-stand & paid £79.99 for mine, so @ £55 it’s a very good price.

granny_ring

Yeah I’m not sure I need the dials but they maybe useful?
    Also the Pro stand looks more sturdy.

munkster
    Free Member

Also the Pro stand looks more sturdy.

FWIW I have the non-pro one and it’s pretty bloomin’ study itself! 😉

qwerty
    Free Member

Aye, ye wunny need stiffa.

granny_ring

Ok hear what you guys say, so the dials aren’t of any practical use for a beginner then?
    I’ve not started wheel building yet hopefully it’s on the list for next year.

nuke

Anyone know if the ‘standard’ stand in qwerty’s link would be alright for various axle types (QR/15QR/20 front and QR/142×12 rear) and 29er wheels?

granny_ring

I think I remember reading an earlier thread that you need to get the park adapters that would fit?

EDIT These

wwaswas

I have the one in the op’s link and the park adapters work fine.

The dial gauges can be confusing until you’re close to getting it right and will register a wheel is ‘out of true’ add they pass over stickers on the rim.

It’s a good stand though.

singletracksurfer

Oh, just saw these too and was also wondering which one of the two stands people recommend for a numpty needing to sort his wheels out.

granny_ring

You and me both sir!
    I’m still undecided…..

somafunk

I have the jobsworth stand with the dti gauges and it proved a bit awkward in use (overly sensitive) so i turned down some brass rods with delrin inserts and rigged up my own wheel truing bobbins that uses the dti truing clamps, much better.

The dti gauges are a general off the shelf item and as such on every spin of the wheel whilst on the stand they showed a varying amount of wobble – I’d buy the cheaper stand (unless you are handy with a lathe).

granny_ring

Yes maybe that would be the best option for me I think thanks.

granny_ring

Just ordered the basic one, thanks for input.

singletracksurfer

Me too, cheers.

somafunk

Glad to help.

As an aside i have used DTI gauges for 20+ years so i’d say i’m not inept in handling/reading them but this specific use for them is overkill (my opinion of course).

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Jobsworth Pro Wheel Truing Stand, anygood?’ is closed to new replies.