Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Jobs – application forms and questions.
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

What on Earth would you be writing as a response to the following:
    to help us match our vacancies to your requirements please provide a brief statement that includes key skills, qualifications and potential job titles
    I understand what it says, but what does it really mean? Can anybody provide an example answer to it please?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Is it an NHS application form?

What they are basically saying is tell us how your skills match our Job Description.

Ask for a copy of the job description, which normally lists a set of competancies that are essential or desirable to be able to do that job. Then you write your statement giving examples of how you meet the criteria.

Hairychested
    Free Member

No, it’s a shop. Managerial jobs in retail application form.
    I’ve ran shops (bike, laptop, mobile phone), worked in a shop (LBS), ran a cycle training school (trained loads of people), worked in catering. How do I answer?
    They don’t provide more info than I gave in the first post.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I know very little about Retail Management, but there will be key skills that are necessary to be a good retail manager. You need to be able to demonstrate you have them, and then I guess they are looking for any areas of special interest or where you have skills that will stand out from others. Its not just ok to list the skills you have though. What makes you stand out is where you can use those skills to get results ie by implementing x x sales went up by 15% etc etc.

Depends what sector it is too. You need to tailor what you write to the type of business they are in, and show you have the skills to operate in that business.

Just google retail manager skills and you get plenty of skills info.

Hohum
    Free Member

Planning, communication, dealing with the public, conflict management, people management, motivating junior staff must be a few other competencies but I can’t think off the top of my head.

geoffj

Something like this

Skills –
    Stock control, book keeping, managing staff, merchandising, dealing with suppliers, customer care

Experience
    X years as a bike shop manager in XXX
    X years as a laptop shop manager in XXX
    etc.

Qualifications
    BSc. in Retail Management
    Certificiate in customer care from …..
    Graduate certificate in HR from …

Possible job titles
    Shop Manager, Assistant Shop Manager, Area Manager

I wouldn’t worry about trying to create a paragraph.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Cheers guys.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Jobs – application forms and questions.’ is closed to new replies.